Font size for date and time

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wf54
Level 2
Level 2

Font size for date and time

Post by wf54 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:19 pm

On 19 I managed to have a larger font for the Panel date and time, just updated to 19.2 and there appears to be no way to change the font size for the clock and time.
Changing desktop theme,default font or icon size {had the icon size up to 50 but the font size didn't change} doesn't work and I've even tried using html text.
I imagine for many this minor point will be quite irritating.
Have I missed something or is the defaults size for the panel clock and date the only size?

TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Font size for date and time

Post by TI58C » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi wf54

Knew I had something about this in my bookmarks...Found it, but it is for 18.3. The article gives a template and tells you to save it to ".gtkrc-2.0".
BUT : on my 19.1 Mate, I already have a file ".gtkrc-2.0". So do not blindly follow it !!

You could try to add the template to the text of the existing ".gtkrc-2.0" file. The article wants you to download a "digital font", but I think you should be able to use any font installed on your system.

I have not tested this on my own system, so do not know if it will work and if it will play along with all the other Mint styles and settings.
So USE ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK ! And do make a timeshift-snapshot before ?!

Article here: https://www.techsupportalert.com/conten ... dition.htm

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.

wf54
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wf54 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:16 pm

Thanks I'll have a look at it,
I thought that the text size would follow the icons.
Maybe it's an idea for a future update.
Thanks again
Wilf

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:37 pm

wf54 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:19 pm
On 19 I managed to have a larger font for the Panel date and time, just updated to 19.2 and there appears to be no way to change the font size for the clock and time.
Changing desktop theme,default font or icon size {had the icon size up to 50 but the font size didn't change} doesn't work and I've even tried using html text.
I imagine for many this minor point will be quite irritating.
Have I missed something or is the defaults size for the panel clock and date the only size?
You don't mention what DE you have - it is quite easy to adjust the font size in the panel for Cinnamon in 19.2

You simply edit the panel font size in the cinnamon.css file for the theme you are using.
So in my case the path to the file is because I added the Mint-XP theme - of course you would use your user name and whatever theme you are using.

Code: Select all

/home/majpooper/.themes/Mint-XP/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
If you are using one of the themes that came as defualt the you will have to edit the cinnamon.css file as root
the path would look something like this depending on what theme you are using

/user/share/themes/Mint-X/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
Do a find on the word "panel" and then change the font size (in my case I made 16pt - nice and BIG)
You will have to do a restart for it to take effect. If you don't have Cinnamon - all bets are off.

Panel (panel.js)
 * ===================================================================*/

#panel {
	box-shadow: 0px 0px 2px 2px rgba(0,0,0,0.5);
    color: #000;
    font-size: 16pt;
    height: 28px;
    width: 48px;

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:20 am

wf54 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:19 pm
I hope the above tips will be helpful, because out of the box that clock has only 1 small size. That small clock is one the few small annoyances that keep bugging me as well, because of poor eye sight.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:08 am

The default is ridiculously small. Just as ridiculous to have to use a text editor to change the clock font size :(
Definitely not noob friendly.

wf54
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wf54 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:28 pm

Being dyslexic doesn't help either,
Last time I messed about with the text editor I ended up doing a complete re-install.

Xsane doesn't work at all and simple-scan is also a little off with leaving coloured creases on the pages, which is more of an issue than the date.
The fixes that worked for updating sane on 19 didn't work for 19.2
I haven't found that many day to day benefits between 19 & 19.2 so maybe I'll just wait and see for now.
Same problems occurred going from 18 to 19 and they took quite a while to sort out, If something works why do they have to fix it:-)

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:19 am

On high DPI screens the trick is to set the text scaling factor > 1 and set the other font sizes a bit smaller to compensate. Although Cinnamon Desktop themes font sizes are hard coded at the moment they do respond to text scaling.

Or if you use one of the Cinnamox themes they have a handy little script to amend the themes font sizes :wink:

Exposing Cinnamon theme fonts settings to the user via GUI is on the Dev teams roadmap.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:51 am

smurphos wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:19 am
On high DPI screens the trick is to set the text scaling factor > 1 and set the other font sizes a bit smaller to compensate. Although Cinnamon Desktop themes font sizes are hard coded at the moment they do respond to text scaling.
They also can be changed in the cinnamon .css file for the particular theme being used.
The only curve ball that I got was when I added a theme (MINT-XP) I couldn't find my newly added theme with all the others in

/user/share/themes/
For what ever reason newly added themes end in your home dir in the hidden dir .themes
Once you know where the cinnamon.css file is it is simple to change the panel font size.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:25 pm

Yep, but hunting through a big CSS file definitely ain't newbie friendly hence me pointing out the current albeit non-intuitive GUI way and noting that this is on the dev teams radar to improve.

There is also the issue that depending on how the theme has been built, the same edit may not have the same effect in all themes so it's not really possible to give one size fits all instructions as to where to edit cinnamon.css.
Last edited by smurphos on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

wf54
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wf54 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Thanks for the replies, it's just one of those details that's been missed.
Tends to be the silly little things that drives you nuts.
Last time I tried the CSS file I screwed it up so for now I'll give that a miss,.
All in all we can't really complain too much :wink:

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:32 am

TI58C wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:12 pm
Hi wf54

Knew I had something about this in my bookmarks...Found it, but it is for 18.3. The article gives a template and tells you to save it to ".gtkrc-2.0".
BUT : on my 19.1 Mate,
Hi Robert,
In MATE, you don't have to fiddle with gtkrc... It's enough to increase Application Font.

Could be worth trying in Cinnamon too, I can't recall if it has any effect...

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:31 am

ColdBootII wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:32 am
Could be worth trying in Cinnamon too, I can't recall if it has any effect...
It doesn't

Return to “Newbie Questions”