how to switch to MATE fro Cinnamon in LM19.x?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

how to switch to MATE fro Cinnamon in LM19.x?

Post by oldgranola » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:39 am

Hello,
I'm getting really irritated with various cinnamon issues of late, just starting not not like it and spending more time booted to Manjaro KDE, but miss some things in cinnamon (but not the crashes, regression in my view of launcher control, panel behavior, difficulty with Tor browser etc). It has been suggested that MATE is more stable than cinnamon for some. Is there a reasonable path in LM19.1 or 19.2 to install and switch or add MATE? I've never tried to add a different desktop over another. I'm guessing not so advisable vs clean install?
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Re: how to switch to MATE fro Cinnamon in LM19.x?

Post by JoeFootball » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:49 am

oldgranola wrote: I'm guessing not so advisable vs clean install?
I would not advise doing so, especially if you're looking for stability. So yes, a clean install is what I would suggest.

Joe

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:16 am

Code: Select all

apt install mint-meta-mate mozo
and then log out and at the login window click the icon next to your name to select MATE. Once you're sure you want to stay with MATE, you can then remove Cinnamon, Nemo and so on to avoid duplication in the Mint menu (otherwise you'll have 2 of many things, one from each desktop environment).
Last edited by gm10 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:30 am

Another option, if you have the space on your HD, is to install Mate alongside of Cinnamon. That would avoid the duplicate entries in the menu.

Return to “Newbie Questions”