Can't Upgrade to Tara

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
expalphalog
Level 1
Level 1

Can't Upgrade to Tara

Post by expalphalog » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:35 pm

So I'm running 18.3 and wanting to upgrade to 19.

I have created the Timeshift snapshot and switched to lightdm so that's all gravy. The upgrade option is not showing up in Update Manager like it's supposed to, so I was going to do everything through the console but mintupgrade check returns the following error

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libgl1:i386 : Depends: libglx0:i386 (= 1.0.0-2ubuntu2.3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Now, my newbie brain told me that this should be an easy fix, just install libglx0:i386 and Bob's your uncle. So I tried sudo apt-get install libglx0:i386 but the package is not found.

Any clues what I should try next? Or why the option to upgrade isn't in my Update Manager?

EDIT: Oh, and before anyone suggests it, sudo apt-get -f install returned zeroes on all fronts.

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Can't Upgrade to Tara

Post by pbear » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:35 pm

expalphalog wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:35 pm
Any clues what I should try next? Or why the option to upgrade isn't in my Update Manager?
Took a look in one of my 18.3 test boxes. Mine also no longer shows the upgrade option. I do notice that mintupgrade is available in Synaptic, so you could try installing it, then running as described in the old blog post. (BTW, no lib* packages listed as dependencies.) Wait a couple days before doing that, as might be a reason it's a bad idea. OTOH, hearing nothing, maybe worth a shot on the theory can always restore with Timeshift. Your call.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:44 pm

Was it even possible to 'upgrade' from 18.x to 19.0? I chose to do a clean install of 19.0 as I haven't had best of luck with major upgrades but don't remember details of upgrade option availability. Then 19.0 to 19.1 was great as an upgrade and loved it. Upgrading to 19.2 was quite easy and smooth but became a mess due to cinnamon crashes so downgraded to 19.1 via timeshift. But I'm still trying to build back to what I liked as timeshift has proven quite imperfect for me. Having do do some work. Had to re-install grub on a dual boot machine etc. Anyway, just mentioning as a vote for clean installs over upgrades.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:15 am

Its possible , but its not automatic. Due to some major changes between the two. I have done it both ways. I think its honestly easier jsut to install and keep your existing home directory so you don't loose your data and then reinstall your applications. I suggest making a backup of your home before you do this just incase you goof up something.

EmaRsk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EmaRsk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:34 am

silvatech wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:15 am
Its possible , but its not automatic. […] its honestly easier
it's
silvatech wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:15 am
loose your data
lose

Yes, I would reinstall. I think upgrading to a newer major version is not officially supported.
Putting all your user data - and all of the configuration files you want to keep - on a separate partition would make the task easier.
You can also use debfoster to help you to build a list of packages you want to reinstall.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:48 am

EmaRsk wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:34 am
I think upgrading to a newer major version is not officially supported.
Well, yes, it is supported. Please, cf. Clem's instruction on How to upgrade from Linux Mint 18.3 to Linux Mint 19.
Yet, in-place upgrade from one major release to the next major release is not guaranteed to be hassle-free. (cf. e.g. here)
This is why one of the requirements is "C1. Experience with APT and the command line".
It is the polite way of suggesting that in-place upgrade is not the appropriate way for users, who
+ are not familiar with the apt commands
+ cannot interpret the logfiles generated by the apt commandlines
+ cannot resolve errors encountered during the upgrade and documented in the logfiles.
:(
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:50 am

EmaRsk, we don't correct other people's spelling here unless it makes things unclear (spelling errors in names of packages and such). After all, this is an international forum, and for many of us, that means that we're using a foreign language, like I'm doing now. It's hard enough as it is, even without expecting perfection... and we will not always get it right.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:09 am

Moem wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:50 am
EmaRsk, we don't correct other people's spelling here unless it makes things unclear (spelling errors in names of packages and such). After all, this is an international forum, and for many of us, that means that we're using a foreign language, like I'm doing now. It's hard enough as it is, even without expecting perfection... and we will not always get it right.
Not to mention that there's more than one version of the correct way to spell English

silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:22 pm

decrepit wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:09 am
Moem wrote:
Not to mention that there's more than one version of the correct way to spell English
Or the fact this is a technical forum and not a grammar forum ;). I work in IT for a living and when I post an answer to an issue. I am posting up what I feel will help the OP. Not concerned about minor typos or missed punctuation.

Moem, glad you knew where to find cf. Clem's instructions. I could not remember who or where I saw a guide of what was needed if the OP does want to manually upgrade. I think that was the same guide I used on the one computer I did.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:30 pm

silvatech wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:22 pm
Moem, glad you knew where to find cf. Clem's instructions.
That was Karlchen. He's better at focusing on the right things than I am, obviously. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:44 pm

Hello, expalphalog.

Coming back to the initial problem, which made you start this thread:
expalphalog wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:35 pm
mintupgrade check returns the following error

Code: Select all

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libgl1:i386 : Depends: libglx0:i386 (= 1.0.0-2ubuntu2.3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
Have a look at the last line of the error message. It mentions a potential cause. Let me phrase it as a question:
Are there software packages in your system, which have been held back?

You may check in 2 places:
+ Update Manager - blacklisted packages
+ Terminal command: apt-mark showhold
Does either place list any package names?

--
Second question:
why the option to upgrade isn't in my Update Manager?
Only minor release upgrades will be offered in Update Manager and can be done by Update Manager, e.g. from Mint 18(.0), 18.1, 18.2 to 18.3.
Major release upgrades, e.g. from 18.3 to 19, can only be done with the help of the mintupgrade tool, following Clem's instruction.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:07 pm

If there's nothing manually held or blacklisted,

then you could attempt apt install libgl1:i386 directly with terminal and see if it will give a more verbose error message. The upgrade check is interpreting problems but I think not passing along the exact full error messages.

you can see what is probably currently installed(marked with "ii" status at the beginning): dpkg -l libgl1* and dpkg -l libglx*

you end up digging into the version the current repository is offering with this, although you already mentioned an attempted install returned "package not found": apt version libgl1:i386 and apt version libglx0:i386

maybe the sources are not in a good state which is why the package is not found. you can show the output info from this command: inxi -r

expalphalog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by expalphalog » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:49 pm

Apologies I didn't catch this yesterday. I stopped checking the topic back around the fourth or fifth off-topic message. :)

I guess I misread something. I had found an article titled "How to Upgrade to Mint 19" and they did it all through the Update Manager and made it sound like it was easy as pie. I was going to link the article here for you all to see, but upon reading it more closely I now see that, despite the title - which is indeed "How to Upgrade to Mint 19" - the actual text of the article details upgrading to Mint 18.3. *grumble* It seems I was taken in by clickbait. So sorry to bother you all.

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:45 pm

Bye-bye. [waves]
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

EmaRsk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EmaRsk » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:26 am

Moem wrote:
Why? It's a missed opportunity for learning and getting better. I don't expect perfection. When I make a mistake I'd rather like to correct it than to make it again and again.

There are some very trivial mistakes that get more and more widespread (even from native English), getting in the way of clear communication (like "it's" vs. "its", "their" vs. "they're", "loose" vs. "lose"). English isn't my native language either; any misspelling slows down my reading and comprehension. I don't see what's wrong in pointing them out.

Also, I don't see anything applicable in the forum guidelines. If this is a hard rule, please make it clear there.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:34 am

EmaRsk wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:26 am
I don't see anything applicable in the forum guidelines. If this is a hard rule, please make it clear there.
It's not. It's just something that we generally don't do here because it distracts from the topic at hand. That's all.

EmaRsk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EmaRsk » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:44 am

Moem wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:34 am
EmaRsk wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:26 am
I don't see anything applicable in the forum guidelines. If this is a hard rule, please make it clear there.
It's not. It's just something that we generally don't do here because it distracts from the topic at hand. That's all.
The rest of my post was completely on topic, and the spelling corrections didn't need any further discussion.
Instead, you decided to call me out for having done something constructive and that doesn't violate any forum guideline, thus igniting a completely off topic discussion.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:40 am

EmaRsk wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:44 am
you decided to call me out for having done something constructive and that doesn't violate any forum guideline, thus igniting a completely off topic discussion.
That's right. So let's stop it right here.

Return to “Newbie Questions”