[Solved] Forum User Levels

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Forum User Levels

Post by blueocean » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:18 pm

How do I become a level 2 or 3?
Last edited by blueocean on Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Levels

Post by karlchen » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi, blueocean.

The first pre-requisite in order to be admitted to any higher level than 1 is the ability to locate the forum FAQ's.
The second pre-requisite is the ability to retrieve the relevant FAQ: What is my rank and how do I change it?
The third pre-requisite is reading the answer given to this specific FAQ:
What is my rank and how do I change it? wrote:What is my rank and how do I change it?
Ranks, which appear below your username, indicate the number of posts you have made or identify certain users, e.g. moderators and administrators. In general, you cannot directly change the wording of any board ranks as they are set by the board administrator. Please do not abuse the board by posting unnecessarily just to increase your rank. Most boards will not tolerate this and the moderator or administrator will simply lower your post count.
Summary:
The level 1, 2, 3 etc, displayed next to your username solely reflects the number of forum posts, which you have submitted. Hence these levels are as meaningless as can be. No need spending a second thought on them.
Post #50 should raise your level to 2, post #100 should raise it to 3.

Cheers.
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Larry78723
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Larry78723 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:34 pm

Karl, :lol: :lol: :lol:

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:57 pm

So how come Karlchen can post a good reply like that but when i try i get a board warning?
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Larry78723
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Larry78723 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:06 pm

oldgranola, Maybe because we haven't had enough time on our hands to get to Level 20. :D

blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Forum User Levels

Post by blueocean » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:28 pm

I searched the FAQ before posting (as I always do) but used the wrong search term I guess. I put the word Level in instead of Rank. Being as the term the forum uses is Level it never occurred to me to use the word Rank. Thanks for the reply.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:51 pm

Hi, blueocean.

I noticed the inconsistent wording, level vs rank, as well. No idea why it is as it is.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:14 pm

I have never cared about levels or number of posts someone has...what does matter is the excellent help given and the friendliness of this Forum. Image :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueocean » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:03 pm

I have been using and installing Mint on friends computers for several years, but just joined the forum for a bit over a year. I was just wondering if I'll always be a level 1. Be nice to be a 2 or 3 - like a little badge. No biggie though.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:11 pm

For members only seeking an increase to their forum activity ranking:
chatti -cath -e iR1
Just study the command, don't actually run it.

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:43 pm

blueocean wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:03 pm
I have been using and installing Mint on friends computers for several years, but just joined the forum for a bit over a year. I was just wondering if I'll always be a level 1. Be nice to be a 2 or 3 - like a little badge. No biggie though.
You're a solid 5 in my eyes! :D

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:03 am

you simply have to make an constructive reply, to other folks computer woes,
& as you get to know the Linux System better, then your calibre of reply also goes up.
thus, & before you know it, you've assisted another forum user - every day.

at that daily rate - - your Forum User level will sky-rocket.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:44 am

Who really cares, I have no idea what my "rank" is, as long as I don't smell rank, I don't care. I suppose I shall find out when I press "Submit". :D
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:58 am

blueocean wrote:
I have been using and installing Mint on friends computers for several years, but just joined the forum for a bit over a year.
That is one of the best contributions you can make blueocean. Actually introducing family, friends, aquintances to LinuxMint is the best gift and contribution you can make. Simply by using it, you will gain experience in advising others who started using LinuxMint as well.

I am currently level 5, but I am still a newbie in practice. Only been using LinuxMint for 2 years. I have simply posed a lot of questions over a period of 2 years, which gave me a level 5 mark. Hopefully I have helped some other newbies with similar problems to mine. I feel that LinuxMint OS is a great free gift, but helping out others understanding how to use LinuxMint, is a great gift as well. Enjoy spreading the word and helping others.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:07 am

karlchen wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:30 pm
... The level 1, 2, 3 etc, displayed next to your username solely reflects the number of forum posts, which you have submitted. Hence these levels are as meaningless as can be....
+1. The only meaningful ranking system I've seen ia at askubuntu.com, where you can rank individual answers, and the more answers mantioned, the higher user ranking you get there. But you'd need a Ubuntu like user base for it to be meaniingful.

Don't make the newbie mistake of thinking that a high number of posts means the answers are necessarily reliable. On this forum and (esp.) ubuntuforums I've seen users with a dozen posts who were clearly experts and ones with over 1000 who don't have 2 clues to rub together.

And any user, at any level, can get warnings.

blueocean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blueocean » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:01 am

carum carvi wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:58 am
blueocean wrote:
I have been using and installing Mint on friends computers for several years, but just joined the forum for a bit over a year.
That is one of the best contributions you can make blueocean. Actually introducing family, friends, aquintances to LinuxMint is the best gift and contribution you can make. Simply by using it, you will gain experience in advising others who started using LinuxMint as well.

I am currently level 5, but I am still a newbie in practice. Only been using LinuxMint for 2 years. I have simply posed a lot of questions over a period of 2 years, which gave me a level 5 mark. Hopefully I have helped some other newbies with similar problems to mine. I feel that LinuxMint OS is a great free gift, but helping out others understanding how to use LinuxMint, is a great gift as well. Enjoy spreading the word and helping others.
Thanks. I also give $20 a month, although I missed last month due to cash flow problems. I have put Mint on 20 or more other peoples PCs (some I built) and every one of them has been so much happier than Win 7 or 10. I give them free phone support and offer to put Win back on for free. No one ever wanted to go back.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:07 am

Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:07 am
ones with over 1000 who don't have 2 clues to rub together.
Yep--I fit in this category well. :lol:

CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:05 pm

blueocean wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:01 am

Thanks. I also give $20 a month, although I missed last month due to cash flow problems. I have put Mint on 20 or more other peoples PCs (some I built) and every one of them has been so much happier than Win 7 or 10. I give them free phone support and offer to put Win back on for free. No one ever wanted to go back.
I've got a tattoo of the Linux Mint icon mint leaf that stretches from the top of my forehead to the bottom of my chin and from my left ear all the way over to my right ear and I'm still just a level five user. I thought if I got a tat of the icon on my face it would raise my user level but it didn't.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
8 GB Memory - 2x1 TB HD's
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”