Cloudfare

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Cloudfare

Post by bally1001 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:54 am

I have for the past year or so used Cloudfare ( 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 ) as the secondary DNS on my Windows laptop. Upon doing a leak test the results identified Cloudfare correctly without leaks.....Upon doing the same leak test on my Linux Mint 19.1 laptop (in which Cloudfare is set up the same way), the test identified the secondary service as being "Google" located in Brussels(!), and that there may be a "leak".....I then changed the disc for my 19.1 backup and the results were the same....Has anyone found the same issue?

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Cloudfare

Post by phd21 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:56 pm

Hi bally1001,
bally1001 wrote:used Cloudfare ( 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 ) as the secondary DNS on my Windows laptop. Upon doing a leak test the results identified Cloudfare correctly without leaks.....Upon doing the same leak test on my Linux Mint 19.1 laptop (in which Cloudfare is set up the same way), the test identified the secondary service as being "Google" located in Brussels(!), and that there may be a "leak".....I then changed the disc for my 19.1 backup and the results were the same....Has anyone found the same issue?
If CloudFlare is your secondary DNS server(s), what are your primary DNS server(s)? Depending upon your ISP, you may want to change your system to use IPv4 only versus IPv6 and IPv4 which you can do in the Network Manager edit your ISP connection IPv4 tab, check use IPv4, restart or logout and back in. I use Cloudflare DNS servers as both my primary and secondary DNS servers.

Also, depending on the DNS provider, their DNS servers could be anywhere and as long as they do not identify your location like your ISP default DNS servers would, you should be okay and secure.

Data Center Map | CDN Pop Locations Map | Cloudflare
https://www.cloudflare.com/network/

* Also note, some hardware routers or modem routers can override the client (computer, tablet, smartphone, etc...) DNS settings, so you may want to check your router settings. You can also put in Cloudflare's DNS into most router's custom DNS settings.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:35 pm

You mention that cloudflare is your SECONDARY DNS...i have been using it as both my primary and secondary and do not have leak problems etc... i would set it using 1.1.1.1 as primary and 1.0.0.1 as secondary, both are cloudflare and then see if you have any further leakage problems...DAMIEN

PS...phd1 mention of your router settings is good to take note of since the router rules what your dns is to be.
ORDO AB CHAO

bally1001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bally1001 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:50 am

Thank you for your detailed comments.

After using ‘settings’ to nominate “Cloudfare” (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) as the final DNS server on both Windows 10 and Linux Mint (19.1) laptops, I regularly consult “dnsleaktest.com”. The Windows device always reports Cloudfare as the final DNS server, in my case located in Madrid (188.11*.106.**).

The Linux device however, with exactly the same settings regularly reports Google, (74.12*.181.**) located in Brussels. Looking into it further, I find this is their Google Translate server for Europe.

I only ever use Firefox and duckduckgo on both devices, and, have never used Google Translate on either. Curiously, each time I use ‘Bleachbit’ on the Linux device, the final DNS server returns to Cloudfare. My only contact with Google is YouTube, but on both devices.

On starting this Linux session for example, Cloudfare was the active DNS server, but before I uploaded this post, I visited Hotmail, Daily Mail on-line and YouTube. I checked again before closing, and sure enough, it had changed to Google.

Even if I were to alter the router settings, I doubt this would stop Google intercepting my Linux activity. Any further comment would be welcome.

Return to “Newbie Questions”