"glitchy" mouse pointer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MajikTim
Level 1
Level 1

"glitchy" mouse pointer

Post by MajikTim »

First off, I am new to Linux as well as Mint, so please forgive my ignorance. From what I have read, I may be in the right place.

I installed Mint 19.2 on an ASUS laptop. It seemed to work just fine until I plugged in my extra monitor and now my mouse pointer or cursor is blinking and moving all over. It is very difficult to highlight text to copy, or even just to click in the right spot on the screen. Yes, it still did it after unplugging the 2nd monitor and rebooting. All updates have been installed through the Mint Software Updater. During a quick Google search I found how to pull my hardware query to an html doc. See below for the laptop model.

I am guessing a graphics problem, but really don't know, or know how to go about troubleshooting this. This has Intel onboard graphics. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Magically,
Tim

id: tim-asus
description: Notebook
product: X540SA (ASUS-NotebookSKU)
vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
version: 1.0
serial: G6N0GR01D332244
width: 64 bits
capabilities: smbios-2.8 dmi-2.8 smp vsyscall32
configuration:
boot = normal
chassis = notebook
family = X
sku = ASUS-NotebookSKU
uuid = CDAC9604-2FE9-42E1-BDB4-D2CA950E1B1B
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: "glitchy" mouse pointer

Post by Spearmint2 »

Is one monitor a touch screen? Is this a wireless mouse, needing new battery? If wireless mouse, what model? Problems with touchpad too?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

Can you try a different mouse to see if it behaves the same?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
MajikTim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MajikTim »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:23 am
Is one monitor a touch screen? Is this a wireless mouse, needing new battery? If wireless mouse, what model? Problems with touchpad too?
Yes, I have the same problem with the TouchPad. It is a wired mouse. Let me see if I can find another mouse to try.

Thank you for helping.
MajikTim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MajikTim »

Sorry, I forgot to state that there are no touch screens involved
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

open Package Manager in Menu, put synaptic or touchpad in the search area. Install the appropriate ones. There's also a couple there for the particular "ubuntu" version of your mint.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
MajikTim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MajikTim »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 pm
open Package Manager in Menu, put synaptic or touchpad in the search area. Install the appropriate ones. There's also a couple there for the particular "ubuntu" version of your mint.
When you say "Package Manager", do you mean Software Manager? If that is correct, then how do I tell which is the appropriate one? I am running Linux Mint 19.2 Tina. I looked there, but was unsure which one was 'the appropriate ones'. If I am in the wrong place then that would explain why.

Thank you.
MajikTim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MajikTim »

MajikTim wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:11 pm
Spearmint2 wrote:
When you say "Package Manager", do you mean Software Manager? If that is correct, then how do I tell which is the appropriate one? I am running Linux Mint 19.2 Tina. I looked there, but was unsure which one was 'the appropriate ones'. If I am in the wrong place then that would explain why.

Thank you.
Mint 19.2 is based on Ubuntu 18.04, correct? So am I looking for Ubuntu 18.04 updates?
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

https://mintguide.org/tools/436-synapti ... mint.htmlt
Please make a Timeshift restore snapshot before installing and uninstalling software.
Hopefully the guide will be enough to answer your questions, but feel free to ask anything.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
MajikTim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MajikTim »

blueocean wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:33 pm
https://mintguide.org/tools/436-synapti ... mint.htmlt
Please make a Timeshift restore snapshot before installing and uninstalling software.
Hopefully the guide will be enough to answer your questions, but feel free to ask anything.
That was a dead link. I got a 404 error.
Thank you for the advice.

I did try a different mouse with the same result. If I unplug my HDMI cable to my 2nd monitor it still has the problem until I reboot without the 2nd monitor plugged in.
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

https://mintguide.org/tools/436-synapti ... -mint.html
Not sure why it was not a valid link. Try again.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

MajikTim wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:19 pm
MajikTim wrote:
Spearmint2 wrote:
Thank you.
Mint 19.2 is based on Ubuntu 18.04, correct? So am I looking for Ubuntu 18.04 updates?
Yes, Mint 19.2 is from Ubuntu 18.04 version.
https://linuxmint.com/rel_tina_cinnamon.php

Go to the menu button, you will see a link there for "Package Manager", it's not the same as "Software Manager".
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:07 pm
Go to the menu button, you will see a link there for "Package Manager", it's not the same as "Software Manager".
I've only been using Mint for 10 years so I also have a query, "Where is Package Manager"? This question applies to my Mint 17 and Mint 19 machines. Going to Menu only shows System Settings and Software Manager. Package Manager can't be found in System Settings either.

See next reply for Package Manager.

As for the problem, there appears to be no problem if another cable and monitor is not plugged in.

1.) What happens if just the HDMI cable is plugged in, no monitor?
If a problem, then the cable.
2.) If no problem can a different monitor be tried?
Is there still a problem?
3.) Can a VGA monitor be tried as it appears to have a socket for one.
Last edited by RollyShed on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

OK, the OP is new to all of this so maybe the steps needed should be spelled out - the same for many of us.

1.) Go to Menu
At the very top of the box that appears will be a blank box.
2.) Type Pack into the box and a Package Manager box will appear.
3.) You will be asked for your password. Go from there.....

Good luck..... I'd suggest doing Package Manager after the previous steps, previous reply, have been tried.
MajikTim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MajikTim »

RollyShed wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:21 pm
Spearmint2 wrote:
I've only been using Mint for 10 years so I also have a query, "Where is Package Manager"? This question applies to my Mint 17 and Mint 19 machines. Going to Menu only shows System Settings and Software Manager. Package Manager can't be found in System Settings either.

See next reply for Package Manager.

As for the problem, there appears to be no problem if another cable and monitor is not plugged in.

1.) What happens if just the HDMI cable is plugged in, no monitor?
If a problem, then the cable.
2.) If no problem can a different monitor be tried?
Is there still a problem?
3.) Can a VGA monitor be tried as it appears to have a socket for one.
Thank you for all the information Rolly. I will give these ideas a try on Monday when I have some free time.
MajikTim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MajikTim »

Spearmint2 wrote:
MajikTim wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:19 pm
MajikTim wrote:

Thank you.
Yes, Mint 19.2 is from Ubuntu 18.04 version.
https://linuxmint.com/rel_tina_cinnamon.php

Thank you Spearmint. I am starting to follow all of this. How do I know which items I should install? There are many listed. I realize the ones that say for development are not for my system. Just because they come up, does that mean they are specifically for me?
LanceM
Level 10
Level 10

Post by LanceM »

here's another avenue:
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tina_cinnamon.php
check out the touchpad section
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Thank you Spearmint. I am starting to follow all of this. How do I know which items I should install? There are many listed. I realize the ones that say for development are not for my system. Just because they come up, does that mean they are specifically for me?
Try one, try all, if one doesn't work, maybe all will get the right one, or can try them serially. Hopefully the correct one can be found. I would be guessing, same as you.
MajikTim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MajikTim »

I have been away from my "project laptop" for a while. Sometime over the last couple of weeks it crashed......the screen was just black and wouldn't come on even though laptop was on. After powering down and rebooting the keyboard and mouse would not work, so I am giving up with my current installation and may reinstall Mint with the MATE edition.

Thank you to everyone who helped. I have learned from you and appreciate your time.

Tim
mangelo123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mangelo123 »

The only way that i am able to get rid of the 'glitchy' mouse pointer is to issue:

Code: Select all

sudo service lightdm restart
I have to do this every time I restart my computer. There has to be a better way.

Return to “Newbie Questions”