Starting hard drives during startup (solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Pascal Illustrator
Level 3
Level 3

Starting hard drives during startup (solved)

Post by Pascal Illustrator »

Hello, I have a question about Linux Mint.
In my computer I have several hard drives, but when I boot my computer, only the drive with the Linux system is started.
The other drives which are used for storage have to be started manually.
This is annoying because, to listen to music for example, I first have to start that drive with the music.
In Mac OS or Windows this is not a problem. If the computer starts, everything starts.
Is this possible in Linux too? Automatically start the drives? ... like it, in my opinion, should be.
Last edited by Pascal Illustrator on Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa - Xfce 64-bit

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Starting hard drives during startup

Post by athi »

Sounds like the drives are not auto mounting, see this post viewtopic.php?t=226160 . A bit older but still relevant.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Pascal Illustrator wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:31 am
This is annoying because, to listen to music for example, I first have to start that drive with the music.
Is this possible in Linux too? Automatically start the drives? ... like it, in my opinion, should be.
It's possible, just add a line to the

Code: Select all

/etc/fstab 
file.
Note: need to be root/sudo to change fstab, and it's an important file; make a copy of it before you mess with it.

Here's the line to mount-at-boot my music (data) partition; it shows up on /mnt/DATA

LABEL=DATA      /mnt/DATA  ext4    defaults,user,exec,noatime 0 2
More typical is identifying the partition with UUID=big-funny-number rather than LABEL=, but LABELs are great, they tell you something about the partition. You can set the labels in gparted with the partitions unmounted.

You might run

sudo blkid
and post the output here for more info. Also you might be able to do this with a GUI thru the 'disks' program.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Pascal Illustrator
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you for the replies.
Those codes are too complicated for me. I'm not a programmer.
I thought there would be a setting in the preferences that you could turn on / off.
I think I will be waiting until those 4 TB ssd's become affordable and use that as a boot disk for everything (system+files).
Thank you for the help.

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Post by gittiest personITW »

Hi,
If you are willing to try, you will be helped - very simple steps one by one.
If you want to try, post back and people will definitely help in easy to understand steps.

Think how good you'll feel when you've fixed the problem.

LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LogMan »

As Flemur alluded to in his post above "Also you might be able to do this with a GUI thru the 'disks' program".

I have multiple HD's and I automounted all the ones I wanted simply by going to :

Start menu/Preferences/Disks, then pick the HD you want and click on the gear icon below the HD (automount additional partition option)

Then edit mount options,

Check Mount at system startup, save and reboot.

Works for me.

ricardogroetaers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Pascal Illustrator wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:31 am
In my computer I have several hard drives, but when I boot my computer, only the drive with the Linux system is started.
The other drives which are used for storage have to be started manually. ......
The automatic mounting of file systems (volumes) on fixed hard disks at system startup could be determined by the user during system installation.
Unfortunately this is not clearly presented in the system installation program.

However, file systems (volumes) appear in File Manager and can be mounted with a simple mouse click.

You can configure the system after it is installed to automatically mount existing file systems on the hard drives at boot time.

Pascal Illustrator
Level 3
Level 3

LogMan wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:52 pm
As Flemur alluded to in his post above "Also you might be able to do this with a GUI thru the 'disks' program".

I have multiple HD's and I automounted all the ones I wanted simply by going to :

Start menu/Preferences/Disks, then pick the HD you want and click on the gear icon below the HD (automount additional partition option)

Then edit mount options,

Check Mount at system startup, save and reboot.

Works for me.
Yes, this was the solution. Thank you very much.

Return to “Newbie Questions”