su password not recognised

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
CoyoteUK5
Level 1
Level 1

su password not recognised

Post by CoyoteUK5 »

I have mint 19.2 . I upgraded from 19.1.

I need to run dpjgneed to be a super user, my password is the ist recognised.

Is there some way I can get over this?

8faX6vQs9ghV5QxA
Level 1
Level 1

Re: su password not recognised

Post by 8faX6vQs9ghV5QxA »

Yes, to run dpkg you need to have an admin account('s pw).

Because you upgraded from 19.1 to 19.2 you should already know the admin pw; if you know the admin pw then you can run dpkg.

If I have misunderstood your query then please clarify your question so we can better help.

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

su - to root works only when root account is activated and root password is set.
sudo -i works when user is in sudo group.
If none of above conditions is met you need to boot into single user mode and activate at least one of them.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

What are you wanting to do with dpkg, anyway? Normally it's used in the background by apt-get or apt.

Anyhoo, there's normally no root password in Mint (or Ubuntu). You can set one, but there's no need. If you are a member of the sudo group (and the user at installation is always a member of the sudo group), you can run any command root can run. For example, sudo apt-get install xyzapp. You will be asked for your password, meaning your regular user password. This is enough because you're a member of the sudo group.

vishgaur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vishgaur »

As everyone else tried to simplify your query, I'd like to add my bit too.

super user or SUDO password is usually your user login password that you use to login to linux mint. If you are able to login then you must be able to use that. If this is your home computer and you have installed Mint by yourself then you must be the Admin (sudo group) user and must know the password already because we can see that you are using the computer.

So, what else is the trouble?
Since 2003 on computers, since 2014 on Linux.

Blog: https://www.inksup.wordpress.com

CoyoteUK5
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CoyoteUK5 »

THanks all but I solved it

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

CoyoteUK5 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:40 pm
THanks all but I solved it
That's cool. Then please state your solution, so others may find it too, and mark the thread as SOLVED in the title of the first post. Cheers!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”