I sudo apt upgrade in my terminal, then it proceeded to rename "linux mint 19.2 cinnamon" to "Ubuntu" in GRUB

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pulu
Level 1
Level 1

I sudo apt upgrade in my terminal, then it proceeded to rename "linux mint 19.2 cinnamon" to "Ubuntu" in GRUB

Post by pulu » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:01 am

and here is what I did afterwards:
1. I made the password when it asked me to
2. exit, reboot
3. I applied the key through the password (I completely forgot what this part supposed to be called)
4. I saw "Ubuntu" as a replacement to "Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2" and ignored it then proceeded to boot
5. Usual Linux Mint Plymouth splash logo was missing (me = still in an ignorant state)
6. Nothing seemed weird except NVIDIA stuffs and Update Manager (the existence of both didn't make any sense to me so I did something about it which was the next step)
7. Followed a wild instruction from Stack Overflow (I guess?) that I did not paid attention to, to the point of executing somewhere along the line of "sudo apt remove --purge"
8. Notification that consisted of "repositories/packages that were unneded will be removed press y to proceed" appeared
9. y
10. exit, reboot
11. At this part, everything seemed back to normal except the logo and the name
12. Thought to myself that "no logo means no identito", so I searched "how to get the logo back"
12. Followed another wild instruction that guided me to add another line in /etc/default/grub of which I forgot what the name of the line was
13. exit, reboot
14. The "spinning dots" appeared, but still I was not satisfied so searched a theme of it
15. https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1009321/ and did ./install.sh
16. exit, reboot
17. Now the logo is back and appeared like in the link, but the name problem still exists so I need your help in how to change the name back to normal and to check the "remnants of Ubuntu" in Linux Mint just in case to prevent any error in the future.

I'm sorry before if I'm being impolite, I just want be comedic in a bit. I'll change the way I type if it needs to be.

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Re: I sudo apt upgrade in my terminal, then it proceeded to rename "linux mint 19.2 cinnamon" to "Ubuntu" in GRUB

Post by pbear » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:57 am

Probably the best thing you could do is restore a Timeshift snapshot from before you did all these shenanigans.

If you didn't set up Timeshift (and now you know why it's there), try sudo update-grub in Terminal, then reboot.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I sudo apt upgrade in my terminal, then it proceeded to rename "linux mint 19.2 cinnamon" to "Ubuntu" in GRUB

Post by ejazzkatt » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:58 pm

In spite of what grub says, did you check to see what system the operating system says that it's running? That can be done by entering one command in the terminal. Unfortunately, I don't remember what that command is. I'm sure that you can just use Google to find what command you need. It may be this.
cat /etc/issue

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:05 pm

You remembered correctly

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:42 pm

To fix the grub entry, try

Code: Select all

sudo apt install --reinstall ubuntu-system-adjustments

Return to “Newbie Questions”