Newbie Installing Mincraft 18.2 - it's Preparing...?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
L_Plate_Dave
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie Installing Mincraft 18.2 - it's Preparing...?

Post by L_Plate_Dave » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi,

Brand spanking Newbie that managed to install Linux Mint 18.2 on an old system (Core 2 Duo/2GN Sys Ram/onboard VGA)

Seriously - please bare with me. The guys in the desktop chat have a hard time with me because I do not understand all the abbreviations. I will be my best to be clear; but a wall of text will at times ensure.

WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR IN MY INSTALLATION
... is install video driver via the update driver icon that came up when I first uploaded. I have installed no other drivers after that as the system did not appear to prompt me any further.

I then followed a guide on Youtube to install Minecraft on Linux Mint 18.2

1. After locating the ' software manager' I typed minecraft in and proceeded to install. After it said It was installed I located the app via the games folder.
2. I launched the app where a white screen pops up with lines of text falling down my screen (No apparent errors other than update not found which makes sense since I only just installed)

BUT .. when I click on the PLAY tab ... it just hangs in the Preparing mode replacing the PLAY text on the tab with Preparing and does nothing ... not even a progress animation of any kind ... just grayed out text with 3 static dots after it → Preparing...

That's that never ending story as I try to repeat this after 20 minutes of hanging. It's worth noting my connection speed is 50MBS download and 30MBs upload.

Should I of had to install more feature onto the system like Java or something ... before install Minecraft via the Software Mannager app?

TY for your assistance.

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Newbie Installing Mincraft 18.2 - it's Preparing...?

Post by JoeFootball » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:59 am

L_Plate_Dave wrote: 1. After locating the ' software manager' I typed minecraft in and proceeded to install.
I'm not so sure how compatible that unofficial launcher is with the latest versions of Minecraft, nor the validity of a YouTube video from 2+ years ago.

Recommend that you uninstall it, and give a try with the official Minecraft launcher: https://launcher.mojang.com/download/Minecraft.deb

Joe

L_Plate_Dave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by L_Plate_Dave » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks. I am having Issues with Java.
I tried reinstalling.

I did persist ... however the way I was treated in the Linux Help Chat has lead me to my most recent post and also the reason I am giving up.

Thank you for your response.

I would persist, however once again ... the way I am treated in the Help Chat via the desktop is way to demeaning.

Take Care
All the Best.

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:34 am

You're not giving this forum much of a chance, as others have said, it's one of the best I've used.
I've no idea about help chat, I've never used it.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:20 pm

After 6 posts? This Forum is not the same as some Chat link somewhere.

You will be asked to give some info about what you have, and what you are doing. The neat thing is you will be given some very good instructions on what to look for and where to look. Being asked questions is not demeaning ....
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Return to “Newbie Questions”