Seeking more capable system dialogs.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Seeking more capable system dialogs.

Post by Spearmint2 »

Moem wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:24 pm
markfilipak wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:03 pm
The issue, René, is whether the KDE neon site / people can provide support and are willing to provide support if I have problems.
And if they can't or won't, that makes it not a distro? :?
I agree with OP in one sense. Best to seek distro that has a good support base. If anything, the forums here prove that.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

markfilipak
Level 5
Level 5

Post by markfilipak »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:00 pm
Moem wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:24 pm
markfilipak wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:03 pm
The issue, René, is whether the KDE neon site / people can provide support and are willing to provide support if I have problems.
And if they can't or won't, that makes it not a distro? :?
I agree with OP in one sense. Best to seek distro that has a good support base. If anything, the forums here prove that.
I would pay for support. People need to make a living. By that I don't mean begging or donations. I mean paid support.

I was considering elementary OS as a distro but to download, they want money up front. ...And they say "We're Built on Open Source". :roll:

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

markfilipak wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:13 pm
I was considering elementary OS as a distro but to download, they want money up front. ...And they say "We're Built on Open Source". :roll:
Try entering 0 as your pay what you want amount... :wink:

I'm not sure why you equate open-source with Free of Charge - sure most is but it's not a requirement.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

markfilipak
Level 5
Level 5

Post by markfilipak »

smurphos wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:19 pm
markfilipak wrote:
Try entering 0 as your pay what you want amount... :wink:

I'm not sure why you equate open-source with Free of Charge - sure most is but it's not a requirement.
I don't equate open-source with Free, but paying up front for something that may (or may not) be what I want would be stupid. I didn't know I could put in zero dollars.

Researching it more, I see that elementary OS's DM -- I forget the name -- also uses GTK. Oh, well...

I found PCLinuxOS. On their web site, they even mention Palemoon (which is my web browser of choice, and which is the apparent cause of my Cinnamon crashes due to some sort of mysterious and undiscoverable incompatability). It looks like PCLinuxOS uses KDE as it's DM. I downloaded it and am going to try it.

The Mint community here is outstanding, but using Cinnamon is like wading through mollases. With Mint running in a VM, and with many directories shared with the Host, I'm in dialogs a lot. The dialogs are Cinnamon's downfall IMHO.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I use MATE and pleased with it. I don't need "pretty" but "functionally best".
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

ColdBootII wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:38 am
I will add that you can try many KDE distros at distrotest.net live, in your browser window, without the need to download iso's and burn.
Hey that's so cool! Thanks for pointing out distrotest.net, I didn't know about this previously.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

o-l-d
Level 3
Level 3

Post by o-l-d »

KDE Neon is indeed a different type of linux os. KDE Neon does have a support forum as part of KDE's forum board. It isn't a true "distro" as it is, as stated on the website, but it can function as one IF the user isn't new to linux os. The underlying base is Ubuntu LTS and there are tons of support for that. When Linux Mint decided to drop their KDE version I migrated to KDE Neon and have had very few problems using it as my "daily driver". It offers support for both snap and flatpak as well as the usual deb packaging. Minimalistic by design with very few preinstalled applications but that offered me a more personal choice of applications that I wanted installed. The installer is Ubiqity as is the case with most Ubuntu based "distros". Partitioning is the same as you would find with Linux Mint or others.

I do miss Linux Mint KDE but so far KDE Neon has been quite a suitable replacement for Linux Mint. Consistantly trouble-free and bug issues are addressed quite quickly.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

murray wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:02 pm
ColdBootII wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:38 am
I will add that you can try many KDE distros at distrotest.net live, in your browser window, without the need to download iso's and burn.
Hey that's so cool! Thanks for pointing out distrotest.net, I didn't know about this previously.
My mouse had some lag, but seems a great site to point those in windows forums who are asking about linux to.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

to o-l-d

Why not just install Kubuntu, remove what you don't want in it, put what you do? My first "daily driver" was Kubuntu 12.04 and I liked it OK, but found later I preferred Mint MATE.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

markfilipak wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:08 pm
The Mint community here is outstanding, but using Cinnamon is like wading through mollases. With Mint running in a VM, and with many directories shared with the Host, I'm in dialogs a lot. The dialogs are Cinnamon's downfall IMHO.
I guess it's a question of workflow. I almost never open stuff directly from within application so the idiosyncrasies of the dialogs have never really bothered me.

It's not a habit I developed because of Cinnamon's dialogs, it's the way I used to use Windows as-well. Most of the time I just use the Grouped Window List jump lists for opening recent docs, or open stuff directly from the File manager. The File manager is the most important element of any DE for me, and I like Nemo a lot, particularly the ability to customise it's right click options so it's Cinnamon for me. Anyway horses for courses. KDE is a fine and polished desktop.

Personally i'd go for KDE neon as-well as my first choice (I've run it in a VM on and off for 18 months or so with no issues trying to learn to love KDE). I'm quite happy finding solutions elsewhere to any problems with the Ubuntu base, and the Plasma support via their forum looks OK, not that I've ever needed to use it.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

o-l-d
Level 3
Level 3

Post by o-l-d »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:16 pm
to o-l-d

Why not just install Kubuntu, remove what you don't want in it, put what you do? My first "daily driver" was Kubuntu 12.04 and I liked it OK, but found later I preferred Mint MATE.
Kubuntu, in my experience, has been less stable than KDE Neon. Kubuntu doesn't receive the latest Plasma5 updates as Neon User Edition but is more like Neon User Edition LTS as they depend on the LTS version of Plasma5 unless one installs the "point version" of Kubuntu. In the end using linux of any base or desktop environment is purely a matter of personal taste and usage. I was also a longtime Linux Mint KDE user until the move to concentrate on Mint's own Cinnamon DE and dropping KDE version. I support the decision made by the developers of Mint and understand why that was the direction going forth.

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

o-l-d wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Kubuntu doesn't receive the latest Plasma5 updates as Neon User Edition but is more like Neon User Edition LTS as they depend on the LTS version of Plasma5
I've read in several places that installing Kubuntu & then adding the Neon repos is the way round this. Might still have a Kubuntu VM around, will have a look later ... :)

By the way, the latest Plasma5 is pretty decent, IMHO. It's what I'm using on this machine.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

o-l-d
Level 3
Level 3

Post by o-l-d »

BG405 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:57 pm
o-l-d wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Kubuntu doesn't receive the latest Plasma5 updates as Neon User Edition but is more like Neon User Edition LTS as they depend on the LTS version of Plasma5
I've read in several places that installing Kubuntu & then adding the Neon repos is the way round this. Might still have a Kubuntu VM around, will have a look later ... :)

By the way, the latest Plasma5 is pretty decent, IMHO. It's what I'm using on this machine.
I had Linux Mint 18.3 KDE with the Neon repos added so I would have the latest Plasma 5.Neon was rebased on Bionic (Mint 19's base) and the support for Xenial base (Mint 18) was dropped. I have been very pleased with the Neon's performance and have settled on it as my preferred os.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

markfilipak wrote:
I would pay for support. People need to make a living. By that I don't mean begging or donations. I mean paid support.
So either find a local IT consultant who knows Linux or get Red Hat. However, Red Hat is very restrictive, much more so than Debian. You don't even get Gnome 3 but Gnome Fallback.
As mentioned you can bypass that, but even if you couldn't that would in no way mean you'd get paid for support.

Return to “Newbie Questions”