[SOLVED] Installing gnome Shell Extensions in Linux Mint Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theeo123

[SOLVED] Installing gnome Shell Extensions in Linux Mint Cinnamon

Post by theeo123 »

I was looking for some fun things to do with Linux, found one and was directed to

https://extensions.gnome.org/

But I can't seem to get the extension/plugin to work with Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

The website displays the message
"Unable to locate GNOME Shell settings or version. Make sure it is installed and running."

Is The Mint 19 Cinnamon shell so different from Gnome 3 that these extensions can't be used, or am I just missing something ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Installing gnome Shell Extensions in Linux Mint Cinnamon

Post by xenopeek »

Yeah, this won't work. Cinnamon was forked from Gnome Shell more than 7 years ago and code that wasn't needed was removed. Both Cinnamon and Gnome Shell have seen many releases since then and with each release the code diverged more and more. Gnome Shell extensions have never worked on Cinnamon and unlikely ever will.

For Cinnamon you have Spices addons: https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/. You can browse, install and enable these through Applets, Desklets, Extensions and Themes in System Settings on Cinnamon itself.
theeo123

Re: Installing gnome Shell Extensions in Linux Mint Cinnamon

Post by theeo123 »

Ok, Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate the swift reply

Return to “Beginner Questions”