Fit new hard drive in laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Fit new hard drive in laptop

Post by Toplap »

Hi, is it possible to buy a new hard drive or ssd for my laptop, and install linux on it before i fit it? Basically I would like to keep my current hard drive with windows and mint on for future use. I would like to fit an ssd with mint on it so I can use it for surfing sites download programs. I would like to know if it would be recognised by the bios and boot up in my Acer laptop. Thanks.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Fit new hard drive in laptop

Post by athi »

Please post your laptop exact make and model. Not sure from your post, are you planning on adding the drive or replace the old drive with a new one?
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

The usual way to do this would be to swap in the new drive, then install to it from USB/DVD. The old drive you would put in a safe place in case you wish to swap it back in future. Have you simply not considered the usual way or is there some reason you think it's a bad idea?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Before you post, please read how to get help.

Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toplap »

System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire A715-72G
System Type: x64-based PC

Thanks for reply. So to be straight...I can fit a new ssd and then install the OS via usb the usual way? I can then refit my old hard drive if I want to in the future?

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Aspire A715-72G is a laptop with 2.5" drive bay and M.2 SATA SSD slot. Yes, you can remove the current drive, install the new drive and install Mint then reinstall the old drive when you need it. You may have to fiddle around with firmware settings a bit, but otherwise should work. I have swap drives in laptops and desktops without issues, O/S just pickup from when the HDD was removed. Link to manual:
https://global-download.acer.com/GDFile ... SC=EMEA_27
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Toplap wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:43 am
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire A715-72G
System Type: x64-based PC

Thanks for reply. So to be straight...I can fit a new ssd and then install the OS via usb the usual way? I can then refit my old hard drive if I want to in the future?
Exactly.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Re:Solved. Fit new hard drive in laptop

Post by Toplap »

Much appreciated... :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”