cannot find secure digital card

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
royston
Level 2
Level 2

cannot find secure digital card

Post by royston » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:28 pm

To begin at the beginning: this request probably belongs somewhere else in this forum. I apologize. I have tried to find a proper place and cannot. I will gladly accept a moderator's moving my request.

I have an HP Probook 6475b that runs Linux Mint Cinnamon. The problem I need to solve is: external media (an SD card) does not show up. When I attach the SD card to my (separate) desktop (also running Linux Mint Cinnamon) I promptly get a window showing the contents of the SD card and an icon appears at the bottom right of my panel.
media_window.png
media_icon.png
media_icon.png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 247 times
When I plug the exact same SD card into one of the USB ports on my HP Probook 6475b nothing happens. No icon appears on the panel. No window opens to show the contents of my SD card. Nothing can be found by searching the filesystem including Media and Mnt folders. The HP User Guide is not helpful.
I will be grateful for any help.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Re: cannot find secure digital card

Post by rene » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:53 pm

If you open a terminal and run dmesg -Tw, then plug (or unplug) the SD-card, does anything show up?

royston
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royston » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:48 pm

Yes! Thank you! I started my laptop, opened a terminal, ran dmesg -Tw and got a lot of response. I then inserted the SD card and got several lines about sdb ending with:
Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
The correct icon appeared at the left of the panel and the file manager opened a correct window showing the contents of the sd card. All the files on the card seem fine.
The command mount shows at sdb my sd card is properly mounted.
My file manager window shows my SD card under Devices with a dismount (eject) icon.
I ejected the sd card and removed it, then reinserted it. The correct file manager window appeared very briefly then disappeared.
I repeated the dmesg -Tw and reinserted the sd card. No response.
Restarted the laptop and repeated the dmesg -Tw then inserted the sd card.
Several more lines of dmesg ending with:
usb 3.1: new low-speed USB device number 14 using ohci-pci
usb 3.1: device not accepting address 14, error -62
====then the same except 15 instead of 14 then===
usb 3.1-port1: unable to enumerate USB device

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:42 pm

An SD card doesn't just "plug" into a USB port so I'm assuming you are using some form of adapter. A passive one? Or through something with a power connector? A connected power connector?

And perhaps all that needs answering: I see your laptop has 2 USB2 and 2 USB3 ports. Flakiness same in all ports?

royston
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royston » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:57 pm

I then shut the laptop down for 15 minutes, started it, did dmwsg -Tw, inserted the sd card, and got the same results.

I am using a Targus High Speed SD Card Reader/Writer which no separate power connector. Using a different USB port on the other side of the laptop, after invoking dmesg -Tw, the repsonse was perfect: the correct icon appears on the panel and a correct file manager window appears. All files appear to be intact.
The connection is identified as:
sd 5:0:0:0 [sdb]
sdb: sdb1

I do not know which of the USB ports are USB2 and/or USB 3. Again, the user guide is no help.

I have left the laptop running with the SD card mounted. Suggestions?

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:30 am

This: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP ... 818.0.html says that the left side, DVD side, is USB3, right side USB2. USB3 ports are capable of providing more power to attached devices and I tend to suspect power delivery in cases such as this --- even though a card reader would not seem generally power-hungry. But if that "other side" was the left side I'd consider that the issue. If conversely "other side" was the right side, I'd suspect a boring incompatibility between your USB2 card reader and the USB3 port. In either case, I suspect the solution to be "plug it in the right side" :-)

royston
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royston » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:40 am

OK, I shut the laptop down to see what will happen. While shut down I removed the SD card.
Started the laptop with the SD card not inserted. Without running dmesg, inserted SD card on the OTHER side. Everything worked properly.
To be clear, the side that works well is the left side, the side where the optical drive lives, and I gather USB3 lives there too.
Unless problems recur all I need is to be told how to mark this matter as "solved".
Thank you Rene for helping me through this.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:43 am

The idea is to go back to your initial post and edit its title to say [SOLVED] at the beginning. Personally, I'd boycott doing so until this forum devises a less clunky method of marking topics solved, but your choice...

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:01 am

why not put an entry in fstab for it? Put it in, see if Disks program can see it. If so, then have Disks put a line for it in the /etc/fstab file. That's what I did for a USB flashdrive I want to be seen after bootup without needing to unplug, the plug it back.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:26 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:01 am
That's what I did for a USB flashdrive I want to be seen after bootup without needing to unplug, the plug it back.
That is neither necessary nor advised; it is mounted automatically without (un)plug, certainly on the Cinnamon edition.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:42 pm

rene wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:26 am
Spearmint2 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:01 am
That's what I did for a USB flashdrive I want to be seen after bootup without needing to unplug, the plug it back.
That is neither necessary nor advised; it is mounted automatically without (un)plug, certainly on the Cinnamon edition.
Plug it in. It is then mounted. Now, unmount it in file manager. Decide you'd like to use it again. Choices? Either unplug and then plug again to mount it, or do it using CLI. However, if in fstab as an entry, it stays mounted.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:54 pm

Using the Xfce file manager, no, I can just mount it again. The thing you describe is just there not being an unmount option in Nemo, only "eject", the effect of which is quite explicitly to either physically or conceptually eject a device. As to why there not being a separate "unmount" in Nemo --- as said, there is in Thunar --- that would mostly be the generic GNOME "choice is confusing" human interface guideline many have commented on before...

Return to “Newbie Questions”