[SOLVED] How to keep the "command line" from popping up

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Pw1exclam
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to keep the "command line" from popping up

Post by Pw1exclam » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:40 am

Not exactly sure how to search for this, but here's my issue:

I have a laptop with LMC 19.2 that I use primarily as a video player. It has a TV hooked up to it via HDMI and I run VLC media player on it. Sometimes, when I am trying to skip through videos on my playlist by hitting the "N" (Next) key repeatedly, after a few presses a white rectangular box appears in the lower right corner of my laptop screen (not the TV), which appears to be some sort of command line. So instead of skipping videos, all I get is a long string of "nnnnn" in this white box. I have hit escape and then alt-tab back to VLC. Then when I get unlucky, it happens all over again.

What exactly triggers the white box/command line? What can I do to prevent it? Thanks.
Last edited by Pw1exclam on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to keep the "command line" from popping up

Post by decrepit » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:14 am

I'm unclear on this but I think there's a keyboard shortcut, you may be hitting that as well as the "n"

Pw1exclam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pw1exclam » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:14 am

Thanks for the tip. I don't have a grip on this 100%, but I might accidentally be clicking on the desktop when hitting N, which seems to trigger the command box at the next key press.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:11 pm

It sounds like the "popup" might be a search box. The computer "trying to be helpful" thinks you are searching for something, so it pops up a little search box. I get similar quite regularly when I am performing some task in Firefox and it thinks I am looking for something.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Pw1exclam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pw1exclam » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:07 pm

Sounds about right. The mystery is, what exactly triggers the search and how do we get rid of it. To me, the whole appeal of Linux is that it (mostly) DOESN'T try to read your mind and the user is still in control...unlike every other OS, phone and machine out there these days. "Oh, you must want your computer updated NOW!"

I'm old school. I miss the days when we told the computer what to do, not the other way around.

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:18 pm

Your above suspicion is right. By clicking on the desktop, you give it input focus. When you type "n" it is then said desktop that is trying to make sense of you typing into it; does by opening a search box. Yeah, I've also never considered that in fact useful, but the issue here is just to not shift focus away from that which you aim to have focus or if you do accidentally, give VLC back focus by clicking its title bar. There's really little that can be done by the system itself once you through clicking something explicitly give it input focus, i.e., take away input focus from that which had it before.

Pw1exclam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pw1exclam » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:54 am

Hey, that's good enough for me, it solves the mystery. I'll just have to be more careful around the touchpad when I click Next. Thanks for confirming.

Return to “Newbie Questions”