[SOLVED] Minimize Window

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Minimize Window

Post by BoDill » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:08 pm

First, I don't know what heading this would be under, so I'm posting here. Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place.

For many years it seems that when I wanted to click on another icon on my Desktop, besides the page that was already open, I would simply click on the negative sign in the upper right hand corner of the page I was on, and the page would be reduced to a small "Notice" (I don't know what else to call it) in the lower left hand corner of my screen. This would allow me a full view of my desktop and I was free to click on another icon to open a new window, without losing track of the previous window.

I have no idea what has changed, or if I accidentally did something wrong, but now if I want to leave the screen and find something else on my desktop, I click on the minus sign and the whole thing disappears. Their is no visible trace of the page. If I click on the icon for that page (the one I just tried to reduce), two copies of that page appear on my screen, with two copies shown at the top (Taskbar?).

Obviously I am not a computer whiz, as I'm not even sure of the terminology, Is there a simple way to get the old functionality back?

BoDill
Last edited by Moem on Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you; please note that you can and should do this for your own topics. Thanks!

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Minimize Window

Post by all41 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:16 pm

This sounds like your panel is missing the Windows list applet.
To add it back click an open spot on the panel and choose Add to panel.
Then scrolwn to find Windos list and click Add button at the bottom.

BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Minimize Window

Post by BoDill » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:55 pm

To all41,

Thank you very much! With your clear explanation, this took only a few seconds!

BoDill
Desktop: OptiPlex-790 Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits: 64, Desktop: MATE 1.20.1 Distro; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Laptop: Dell Latitude E6420; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

Return to “Newbie Questions”