Ejecting USB 3.0 thumb drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ontheair
Level 1
Level 1

Ejecting USB 3.0 thumb drive

Post by ontheair »

Hello everybody,

when using a simple generic USB 2.0 thumb drive: Pressing the eject button in Thunar unmounts the drive immediately, the device disappears in Thunar and it can be removed.

When using a fast USB 3.0 thumb drive (SanDisk Extreme Pro 256GB, which is basically a SSD with USB-3.0-bridge): Pressing the eject button unmounts the device, but it just gets greyed out and the device is still shown in Thunar.

So, in both cases the device is safely unmounted. But the simple USB-2.0-drive disappears in Thunar after unmounting, the fast USB-3.0-drive is still present in grey letters.
Are there any reasons for this different behaviour?

Using Linux Mint 19.2 XFCE. Both drives are formatted with exFAT for compatibility reasons.
Thank you for any hints!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SprinterDriver
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Ejecting USB 3.0 thumb drive

Post by SprinterDriver »

Here is another forum thread that may be relevant:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... -in-linux/

And another one here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/844096/ ... hard-drive
So I got this bright idea. But when I tried to grab the light bulb, I did not hurt my hands as expected from a warm bulb, because it turned out to be one of those LED bulbs.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

SprinterDriver wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:11 pm Here is another forum thread that may be relevant:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... -in-linux/

And another one here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/844096/ ... hard-drive
If you post links, it's a very good idea to read them first. None of those links have anything to do with the OP's problem.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

When I have been transferring files or using a USB (flash) drive, I open a terminal and run the sync command to flush the write cache before unplugging anything. Don't know if that relates to anything, just a comment.
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Is there an entry in etc/fstab file for this drive? SanDisk Extreme Pro 256GB??
If so, that would keep it in the file manager.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
ontheair
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ontheair »

Sorry for the very late reply, due to personal reasons.
Spearmint2 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:35 pm Is there an entry in etc/fstab file for this drive? SanDisk Extreme Pro 256GB??
No, there is no entry for this USB stick in etc/fstab.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

ontheair wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:44 am Sorry for the very late reply, due to personal reasons.
Spearmint2 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:35 pm Is there an entry in etc/fstab file for this drive? SanDisk Extreme Pro 256GB??
No, there is no entry for this USB stick in etc/fstab.
Instead of etc/fstab check in etc/mtab
ontheair
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ontheair »

dawgdoc wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:51 am Instead of etc/fstab check in etc/mtab
Thanks, I checked /etc/mtab and there is also no entry for this stick.

Slowly I guess this could be a limitation or anomaly of this specific stick / model. But anyway, if somebody has another idea or hint, I would be happy!
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

I just plugged in an mounted 3 drives. A simple flash drive, a USB 3.0 SSD, and a USB 3.1 C HDD. Clicking the eject triangles in Xfce Thunar makes them disappear. So, I'd say, your drive is a bit unusual. Open Disks and see if it can be remounted without unplugging and plugging back in. I'm guessing it can't. It probably isn't being powered off. Disks will show that up at the top. The power off button (when the drive is highlighted). You could try this for comparison using the Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo eject /dev/sdx
where x is the device's letter designation determined by looking in Disks.
ontheair
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ontheair »

I did again several tests with different flash sticks:

All simple USB 2.0 flash drives disappeared in Thunar when ejecting them there by the triangle symbol but are not powered off.
(But can be powered off in "Disks" with the power button.)

All Sandisk Extreme Pro sticks (three different ones) don't disappear in Thunar when ejecting them and are also not powered off.
(But can be powered off in "Disks" with the power button.)

All external HDDs with USB 2.0 interface disappear in Thunar when ejecting them and are powered off.
blueocean wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:58 pm Open Disks and see if it can be remounted without unplugging and plugging back in. I'm guessing it can't. It probably isn't being powered off.
Yes, you are right. But no flash sticks at all are powered off here when ejecting them in Thunar (just the mechanical HDDs with USB 2.0 interface). I guess it is safe to remove them even when not powered off, as they are unmounted correctly.
The fact that all sticks are not powered off is maybe because of the USB host chip in the computer, which is possibly not fully compatible or a bit unusual, I don't know. And on top of that, maybe the Sandisk Extreme Pro sticks are a bit unusal, too ;-)

As a workaround I simply will not use the eject symbol in Thunar anymore. Instead, I will use "Disks" to unmount them (eject symbol) and afterwards powering them off (power symbol). I guess this is the safest way to deal with the situation - please correct me if I am wrong.

Return to “Beginner Questions”