[SOLVED] Kernel Versions Questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
trope
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:10 pm

[SOLVED] Kernel Versions Questions

Post by trope » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:54 pm

Screenshots attached. Right now I am running kernel 4.15.0-65. I see in Update Manager that there is a line 4.18, but all of them are reported as being "end of life". Presumably 4.18 is newer than 4.15, so how can this be?

I see a line of 5.0 versions, ~ 10. 9 of them say "superseded" and 1 is current. Do I have all 10 of these on my system, and if so, why (considering that none of them have been used or are being used)?

How do I decide if I should "upgrade" to a 5.0 line?

How do I determine how much space the past kernels are taking, so I can decide if I should remove them? And how many past kernels should I keep (in other words how long should it take for me to use a kernel so that I can be sure it is working appropriately and there is no incompatibility that I have not yet realized-- I use my computer every day).
Attachments
Screenshot at 2019-10-01 14-49-03.png
Screenshot at 2019-10-01 14-49-50.png
Screenshot at 2019-10-01 14-50-01.png
Last edited by trope on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9507
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Kernel Versions Questions

Post by Moem » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:05 pm

Only the ones that are marked as Installed are present on your system.

A newer kernel can be 'end of life' while an older one is still supported,if the older one is a Long Term Support kernel.

A good rule of fist is to have the active kernel + one or to that are known to work well on your system.

The best reason to try out a newer kernel is if you expect it to solve problems with your hardware. That said, it's almost always safe and easy to rollbackto a previous kernel if the newer one is unsuitable.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1913
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: /home/usa/mn/minneapolis/joe

Re: Kernel Versions Questions

Post by JoeFootball » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:09 pm

trope wrote: Presumably 4.18 is newer than 4.15, so how can this be?
I think you're assuming that all kernel versions may have the same level of support, which is not the case.
trope wrote: I see a line of 5.0 versions, ~ 10. 9 of them say "superseded" and 1 is current. Do I have all 10 of these on my system, and if so, why (considering that none of them have been used or are being used)?
I don't think they're all on your system, but available to be installed if you wanted to.
trope wrote: How do I decide if I should "upgrade" to a 5.0 line?
Do you have a need for such an upgrade? If not, I would stick with the kernel branch that came with your system.
trope wrote: How do I determine how much space the past kernels are taking, so I can decide if I should remove them? And how many past kernels should I keep (in other words how long should it take for me to use a kernel so that I can be sure it is working appropriately and there is no incompatibility that I have not yet realized-- I use my computer every day).
I think it's personal preference. I keep two prior versions to the current that I have, but have certainly have kept more. Some people keep just one. Some people keep many more, if not all.

Joe

User avatar
smurphos
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4549
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:18 am
Location: Britisher
Contact:

Re: Kernel Versions Questions

Post by smurphos » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:29 am

trope wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:54 pm
Screenshots attached. Right now I am running kernel 4.15.0-65. I see in Update Manager that there is a line 4.18, but all of them are reported as being "end of life". Presumably 4.18 is newer than 4.15, so how can this be?
A bit more background - 4.15.0-x is the LTS kernel for Mint 19.x (and Ubuntu 18.04) this kernel series will get security updates and bugfixes until 2023. If your hardware works fine with it there's no real reason to jump up to a newer series.

4.18.0-x was an intermediate HWE (Hardware Enablement) kernel. The current HWE kernel is 5.0.0-x. These are intended for users with newer hardware which isn't supported or isn't fully supported by the LTS kernel.

if you are using Mint 19.2 in Update manager Edit > Preferences > Automation you can set automatic maintenance which will clean out older kernels automatically once a week leaving you with the current kernel and the previous.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”