Is a software like this available for MINT?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Is a software like this available for MINT?

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:11 pm

I am a newbie which is why I'm posting here ...
There is ONE piece of software I use with W7, a utility, that I really love and use a lot.
I am wondering if something like it might be available for Linux Mint.

It is a Macro utility. For example if I want to type in my address I can set it to type my entire address every time I type the letters "addr."
Or I can type my entire Computer specs by just typing "specs."
I can type the current date with "dt." or the current time with "tm.", all customizable of course: I choose what I want the macro to type and I choose the code to make it type that, as in "addr." types my complete name and address.

ALSO, while I'm at it, is there a good alarm system that is accessible in what I have to call the "system tray" or quick launch bar for example, that I would be able to set for an hour ahead, or a week ahead...or a year ahead... that would sound off and pop up on my screen when the alarm is due, to remind me, for example to pay my credit card on the 17th of every month, or to send someone a birthday card on the 15th of June every year...?

I'd rather not use Google for this.

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Is a software like this available for MINT?

Post by decrepit » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:30 am

Type calendar into the Software Manager, looks like heaps of them, Remind, says it has an alarm system but only gets 3.5 stars.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:05 am

Are you using Thunderbird Mail? If you are, there is a great reminder add-on for that, called Reminderfox. It can handle recurring events, one-time events... all types of events. It can do sounds and pop-ups.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:34 am

Is this macro utility used within the OS, you Word Processor, or you Email Client? i.e. where do you type these "commands"? It sounds like you've set auto-correct to do this.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:38 am

wannabelinuxguy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:11 pm
It is a Macro utility. For example if I want to type in my address I can set it to type my entire address every time I type the letters "addr."
I can type the current date with "dt." or the current time with "tm.", all customizable of course: I choose what I want the macro to type and I choose the code to make it type that, as in "addr." types my complete name and address.
Most word processors have that built-in, including LibreOffice Writer, which comes pre-installed with Mint. See AutoText and AutoCorrect options.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:20 am

wannabelinuxguy wrote:
I think you will find AutoKey to be satisfactory for this. AutoKey is a keyboard automation utility that will execute a script or insert text on demand. I use it primarily for text substitution - adr to insert my street address, loremipsum to insert the "Lorem ipsum" text placeholder, etc. Autokey can run Python scripts; it comes with a script for inserting a Date/Time stamp, and it should not be difficult to write a "specs" script.

I am using version 0.90.4 the repos - you can find it in Software Manager by searching on Autokey. A newer version available from the github https://github.com/autokey/autokey, but I am too lazy to upgrade to it. (You have to remove earlier versions AutoKey and AutoKey-py3 before installing the newer versions.)

Another keyboard automation utility texpander, that will do some of the things you want. I do not have much experience with it because I prefer AutoKey.

wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:29 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:05 am
Are you using Thunderbird Mail? If you are, there is a great reminder add-on for that, called Reminderfox. It can handle recurring events, one-time events... all types of events. It can do sounds and pop-ups.
I do not use Thunderbird, I use a web type email (like yahoo but more private/better).
If I were to use Thunderbird, would I have access to my email and to reply to emails via my phone?

wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:32 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:38 am
wannabelinuxguy wrote:
Most word processors have that built-in, including LibreOffice Writer, which comes pre-installed with Mint. See AutoText and AutoCorrect options.
Ah, I think you misunderstand what I'm looking for...
My HotKeyboard software is available anywhere, like when I'm writing a web based email online, or any word processing program, or filling out online forms, etc etc.
So I don't want it to just be available when I'm using a word processor like Libre Office, but anywhere and everywhere I type.

wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:38 pm

BenTrabetere wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:20 am
wannabelinuxguy wrote:
I think you will find AutoKey to be satisfactory for this. AutoKey is a keyboard automation utility that will execute a script or insert text on demand. I use it primarily for text substitution - adr to insert my street address, loremipsum to insert the "Lorem ipsum" text placeholder, etc. Autokey can run Python scripts; it comes with a script for inserting a Date/Time stamp, and it should not be difficult to write a "specs" script.

I am using version 0.90.4 the repos - you can find it in Software Manager by searching on Autokey. A newer version available from the github https://github.com/autokey/autokey, but I am too lazy to upgrade to it. (You have to remove earlier versions AutoKey and AutoKey-py3 before installing the newer versions.)

Another keyboard automation utility texpander, that will do some of the things you want. I do not have much experience with it because I prefer AutoKey.
Thanks. THIS sounds similar to what I am looking for. I will try it and hope it is not too hard to use. When you say "it should not be too difficult to write a "specs" script, that worries me a bit LOL. I don't know anything about writing scripts. Am looking for a software that is user friendly like the one I have. I simply open a window, choose auto-text, and write the text I want it to write for me and choose the letters to do so, like you say above "adr" to enter my street address. Anyway so far it's the suggestion that sounds like it will do at least some of what I want it to do.
I do a lot of writing and this HotKeyboard that I use with Windows saves me a lot of typing; and I can also put my credit card # in it so that when I need it to enter for an online store, I don't have to go pull it out and look at it as I type it in, I just type "mydebitcard." and it types the numbers for me.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:14 pm

wannabelinuxguy wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:29 pm
If I were to use Thunderbird, would I have access to my email and to reply to emails via my phone?
Yes, what you do on your computer does not have any bearing on what you do on your phone.
You can use Thunderbird as an email client with any email provider that offers POPmail or IMAP. If your current provider of webmail also offers one of these, you can use Thunderbird to fetch and view that email.

But if you're not interested in Thunderbird (it would be a bit overkill to run it just in order to get an add-on) you could look at Osmo, a calendar with to-do list and reminder alerts. It's in the Software Manager.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:23 pm

will any of the above suggestions wake up the computer, or bring it out of suspend, to run the alarm, or timer?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:31 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:14 pm
wannabelinuxguy wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:29 pm
Yes, what you do on your computer does not have any bearing on what you do on your phone.
You can use Thunderbird as an email client with any email provider that offers POPmail or IMAP. If your current provider of webmail also offers one of these, you can use Thunderbird to fetch and view that email.

But if you're not interested in Thunderbird (it would be a bit overkill to run it just in order to get an add-on) you could look at Osmo, a calendar with to-do list and reminder alerts. It's in the Software Manager.
Thanks. I downloaded Osmo and it seems like it will work. I'll have to wait and see if it does all I want it to do but it looks good.
Last edited by wannabelinuxguy on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:34 pm

wannabelinuxguy wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:38 pm
Thanks. THIS sounds similar to what I am looking for. I will try it and hope it is not too hard to use. When you say "it should not be too difficult to write a "specs" script, that worries me a bit LOL. I don't know anything about writing scripts.
From what you have described, what you need is something to perform text substitution. That is all I use AutoKey for, and I suspect you will never want or need the scripting function. The reason I mentioned scripts is....
I can type my entire Computer specs by just typing "specs."
You could perform this as a text substitution, but it would not be 100% accurate because specs change as you use the system. For accuracy you could create a script that runs inxi -Fxz and then inserts the output to LibreOffice Write or another program you are using. Or you could bypass AutoKey altogether and run the command from the terminal and Copy/Paste the output. How often do you do this?
I can also put my credit card # in it so that when I need it to enter for an online store, I don't have to go pull it out and look at it as I type it in, I just type "mydebitcard." and it types the numbers for me.
AutoKey can handle something like that with ease - it is just simple text substitution. I do not like the "mydebitcard" idea. For many reasons. But it is your money....

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:03 pm

Hi wannabelinuxguy,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 for "Autokey" which I have been using for years and does exactly what you said you want to do. This is such an indispensable tool for me that I have it start whenever I log in.

Beginners Guide · autokey/autokey Wiki · GitHub
https://github.com/autokey/autokey/wiki/Beginners-Guide

How can I make the system return a different Date Format? [solved] - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=278072&hilit=autokey

Need the "degree symbol" is now [Solved] - Page 2 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=265878&hilit=autokey&start=20

linux ubuntu autokey tutorial - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACY ... CAs&uact=5

FYI: I tried to find something like "Autokey" for my Android phone and found "Typing Hero" which works pretty much the same way.

+1 for "remind" to help with reminders.

You can also search the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for "alarm" or "alarm clock", task, etc...

11 Linux To-Do Apps, Timers, and Extensions to Help You Stay on Task
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-to- ... xtensions/

Linux Task Apps: Plenty of Goodies in These Oldies | Reviews | LinuxInsider
https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/85834.html

Never heard of this one before, but it looks good.
Stretchly - An Open-Source, Customizable Time Reminder App
https://www.fossmint.com/stretchly-time ... for-linux/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks for the tip about Autokey, just trying it. I had to separately install the GTK package along with Autokey itself to get the launch icon - using Synaptic PM, not sure if Mint software manager handles that. The FAQ indicates the .config Autokey file can be moved or copied, so it won't be necessary to redo it all from scratch on multiple / future installations. Looks good.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. M18.3 XFCE (Dell 1520) 64 bit. Dual booting M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M19.1 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop) 64 bit. Persistent live USB pretesting M19.2 Cinnamon and XFCE.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi wannabelinuxguy, I2k4, and everyone else,

You can install the "autokey-gtk" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". There is another newer forked version of AutoKey available from GitHub, but the one from the Mint Ubuntu software sources (repositories) works well.

Installing · autokey/autokey Wiki · GitHub
https://github.com/autokey/autokey/wiki/Installing

Releases · autokey/autokey · GitHub
https://github.com/autokey/autokey/releases/

From April 2019
Release v0.95.7 · autokey/autokey · GitHub
- Note: download 2 files the comon deb file and the GTK or QT deb file and install in that order.
https://github.com/autokey/autokey/releases/tag/v0.95.7

I created new folders for AutoKey underneath my Documents folder for categories like Linux Mint in addition to separate standard Autokey folders which you can easily backup and use elsewhere or even designate to be synced in a cloud client. You just open autokey and under File -> New Folder browse to the folders where you have stored your Autokey shortcuts, phrases, scripts, etc... You have to save the changes and or restart Autokey before it will recognize those changes.

It is very common in this forum to ask users for their system information (specs) using the "inxi -Fxzd" command which you can run in a console terminal window and copy the results into a new AutoKey entry using the trigger text of something like "specs1" or "sys1" so as not to accidentally trigger it by just using "specs" in a regular sentence.

I try to help whenever I can in this forum which means having to repeatedly ask for certain information and or repeat common responses which AutoKey makes easy to do.

AutoKey is very powerful and can do much more than just text retrieval and entry, you can actually simulate keystrokes and or mouse behavior as well.

FYI: It also helps to have a great "notes" application like "CherryTree" to record everything you learn from anywhere and everywhere like "Linux Mint", "Linux", School, Work, Hobbies, etc...

Hope this helps ...
AutoKey new entry 1
AutoKey new entry 1
AutoKey new entry set abbreviation
AutoKey new entry set abbreviation
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:55 am

phd21 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:03 pm
Hi wannabelinuxguy,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 for "Autokey" which I have been using for years and does exactly what you said you want to do. This is such an indispensable tool for me that I have it start whenever I log in.

Beginners Guide · autokey/autokey Wiki · GitHub
https://github.com/autokey/autokey/wiki/Beginners-Guide

How can I make the system return a different Date Format? [solved] - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=278072&hilit=autokey

Need the "degree symbol" is now [Solved] - Page 2 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=265878&hilit=autokey&start=20

linux ubuntu autokey tutorial - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACY ... CAs&uact=5

FYI: I tried to find something like "Autokey" for my Android phone and found "Typing Hero" which works pretty much the same way.

+1 for "remind" to help with reminders.

You can also search the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for "alarm" or "alarm clock", task, etc...

11 Linux To-Do Apps, Timers, and Extensions to Help You Stay on Task
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-to- ... xtensions/

Linux Task Apps: Plenty of Goodies in These Oldies | Reviews | LinuxInsider
https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/85834.html

Never heard of this one before, but it looks good.
Stretchly - An Open-Source, Customizable Time Reminder App
https://www.fossmint.com/stretchly-time ... for-linux/

Hope this helps ...
Thanks for the further info. I'm kind of busy with "life" right now so not sure when I'll get a chance to play with this autokey. I did take a look at it and it did not appear immediately user friendly. Is there a link on how to use it somewhere?
I didn't spend much time on it though so maybe I just need more time to figure it out. I'm used to the very user-friendly Windows one I have called "Hot Keyboard". I hate Windows. But that's a very good Windows program.

I'll try to get around to trying to use it but may have to come back and ask some questions, first. Maybe Sunday I'll get around to it. Today I spent 2 hours trying to get my bluetooth device to work with Mint, to no avail...

As to the REMINDER program I decided to try the one someone recommended above. Osmo or something like that...?
It looks like it might work for me. If not I see there are some other options above, so thanks for those!
Hopefully someone can help me get my bluetooth to work (more importantly)...

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:18 am

Hi wannabelinuxguy,

You are welcome...

I already gave you links on using AutoKey.

Autokey is very easy to use for automatically inserting text based on an abbreviation or hotkey, see screenshots. Click a category "folder" name or create a new category "folder" name and then click that, then click the new button, click phrase, enter in a phrase name like "specs", on the right side on top delete any existing text and type in or paste the text you want, at the bottom on the right-side, click the set button to the right of abbreviation, in the new pop-up window click the + add button in the lower left to add the trigger text like "specs1", or "s1", etc... hit enter, check the options you want like "remove typed abbreviation (default)", ignore case of typed abbreviation, trigger when typed as part of a word, trigger immediately, click ok, then click the save button, repeat the same process for new entries. Tip: You can bring up any text editor or word processor or email, etc... for testing your AutoKey entries.

FYI: In my AutoKey are entries like this: (I have around 100 Autokey entries and growing.)

"nu1" (new user 1) will automatically insert "It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information."

"w1" (Welcome) will automatically insert "Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!"

"hh" will automatically insert "Hope this helps ..."

I also put in notes without triggers into AutoKey for quick references, but I use the excellent "CherryTree" notes app for most of my extensive notes.

Hope this helps ...

wannabelinuxguy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wannabelinuxguy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:05 pm

phd21 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:18 am
Hi wannabelinuxguy,

You are welcome...

I already gave you links on using AutoKey.

Autokey is very easy to use for automatically inserting text based on an abbreviation or hotkey, see screenshots. Click a category "folder" name or create a new category "folder" name and then click that, then click the new button, click phrase, enter in a phrase name like "specs", on the right side on top delete any existing text and type in or paste the text you want, at the bottom on the right-side, click the set button to the right of abbreviation, in the new pop-up window click the + add button in the lower left to add the trigger text like "specs1", or "s1", etc... hit enter, check the options you want like "remove typed abbreviation (default)", ignore case of typed abbreviation, trigger when typed as part of a word, trigger immediately, click ok, then click the save button, repeat the same process for new entries. Tip: You can bring up any text editor or word processor or email, etc... for testing your AutoKey entries.

FYI: In my AutoKey are entries like this: (I have around 100 Autokey entries and growing.)

"nu1" (new user 1) will automatically insert "It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information."

"w1" (Welcome) will automatically insert "Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!"

"hh" will automatically insert "Hope this helps ..."

I also put in notes without triggers into AutoKey for quick references, but I use the excellent "CherryTree" notes app for most of my extensive notes.

Hope this helps ...
Hi, you sound like me, I had about a hundred macros in my Hot Keyboard for Windows and like I say, I "can't live without" a similar macro tool because I use the net a lot and type a lot, etc.. I always type teh instead of the so I made one for that, for example... and what I learned to do was to put a period after my abbreviations such as addr. so when I type "address" it doesn't trigger the macro, for example.

So sorry I didn't see or maybe I forgot I'd seen your links as to how to use AutoKey! No excuses but... my excuse is I have a lot going on right now... new OS, bluetooth problems, dvd writer problems (nothing to do with Linux, I figured out - just a broken dvd writer)... etc.

Someone is helping me in another thread with the bluetooth problem.
Thanks again, I think this autokey is going to work for me!

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi wannabelinuxguy,

You are welcome...

Fortunately, new DVD/CD writer burners are reasonably priced around $20us-30us and even Blu-Ray DVD burners are reasonably priced now as well. I have an older USB DVD burner that works well in Linux. I recommend getting one with "m-disc" capability.

Return to “Newbie Questions”