Xfce 19.2 Esco window border

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LanceM

Xfce 19.2 Esco window border

Post by LanceM »

I downloaded the Esco border parent package Metacity

Code: Select all

wget https://github.com/smurphos/Window_Borders_Mint_19/releases/download/v.0.4/metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip

unzip metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip -d ~/.themes

rm metacity_for_mint19_cinn.zip
Is it possible to use them with Xfce?
or any other way to get Esco borders for Xfce?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Xfce 19.2 Esco window border

Post by smurphos »

Sorry those windows borders are Metacity v3 only - basically Cinnamon (and MATE in 19.2 or later) specific.

I can't find a version of Esco for xfwm4 (XFCE's default Window manager) anywhere.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

smurphos wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:43 am Sorry those windows borders are Metacity v3 only - basically Cinnamon (and MATE in 19.2 or later) specific.

I can't find a version of Esco for xfwm4 (XFCE's default Window manager) anywhere.
No wonder I couldn't get anything to work. Thanks for trying.
I found a pretty suitable one in the options, called Default-hdpi
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi again blueocean.

I know you said you've found a suitable replacement but just wanted to throw this out there.

You mentioned in the other thread you wanted larger window buttons. If you like dark themes, I use Divinorum that I really like partially do to this very reason. The screenshot on their page here shows what the non active windows look like, and here's one of mine when active:

LanceM

Post by LanceM »

MrEen wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:01 pm Hi again blueocean.

I know you said you've found a suitable replacement but just wanted to throw this out there.

You mentioned in the other thread you wanted larger window buttons. If you like dark themes, I use Divinorum that I really like partially do to this very reason. The screenshot on their page here shows what the non active windows look like, and here's one of mine when active:

Thanks, I'll take a look
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Decided to stay with as is. Looks pretty spiffy. Full install with Brtfs. Some custom launchers in Home. I deleted all the default directories in Home except Desktop. Less clutter and I keep everything in folder A.
I still like my Cinnamon better.
Now I'm looking for a way to make my home folder open in the center of the screen instead of the upper left. Cinnamon opens in the center when I click the file manager.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

blueocean wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:24 pm Now I'm looking for a way to make my home folder open in the center of the screen instead of the upper left. Cinnamon opens in the center when I click the file manager.
I haven't tested this, but see if it makes a difference; Menu > Settings > Window Manager > Advanced tab make sure the boxes are not checked under Windows snapping. Then check Menu > Settings > Window Manager Tweaks > Placement tab make sure the box is checked for At the center of the screen.

Hope that helps.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

MrEen wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:38 pm
blueocean wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:24 pm Now I'm looking for a way to make my home folder open in the center of the screen instead of the upper left. Cinnamon opens in the center when I click the file manager.
I haven't tested this, but see if it makes a difference; Menu > Settings > Window Manager > Advanced tab make sure the boxes are not checked under Windows snapping. Then check Menu > Settings > Window Manager Tweaks > Placement tab make sure the box is checked for At the center of the screen.

Hope that helps.
I had the setting at center and tried taking the ck mark out of the snapping boxes, but home still opens on the upper left. About half of windows do open in the center - like Timeshift. No biggie, just twiddling:)
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

You'll have to move the slider for the "Minimum size" adjustment and it will work. Make it larger and it will center everything.

And not sure if this matters but you can change the WM to some Metacity option and maybe that theme will function. Setting is in "Desktop Settings" app.

Return to “Beginner Questions”