Installing VirtualBox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Installing VirtualBox

Post by GS3 »

I have heard good things about VirtualBox. I understand I could run win XP SP3, which is what I have in my other computer, inside VB.

I took a look at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads and I suspect I would need to install

Code: Select all

VirtualBox 6.0.12 for Linux
Ubuntu 18.04 / 18.10 / 19.04 / Debian 10 
Right?

What else should I know. Once I have VB running in Linux I need to install Win XP. Right? How do I do that? Do I need a license?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Installing VirtualBox

Post by AndyMH »

Follow the instructions further down in the link you posted rather than installing from Deb, that way you get updates. Download and install the extension pack in mint. Can't remember if you need to install guest additions in win with xp. Didn't need a licence for xp.

Don't use the version in software manager.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:28 pm Follow the instructions further down in the link you posted rather than installing from Deb, that way you get updates. Download and install the extension pack in mint. Can't remember if you need to install guest additions in win with xp. Didn't need a licence for xp.

Don't use the version in software manager.
Sorry but I don't understand. Further down where? Extension pack? Sorry but I am totally ignorant about all this.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Open up software sources - mint menu > admin > software sources

click on additional repositories then click on 'add a new repository'. Paste the following into the window that opens:

deb https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian bionic contrib
and click ok and close software sources.

Now open up a terminal and paste in the following commands one at a time:

wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
then

wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
then

sudo apt-get update
finally

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-6.0
that installs virtualbox.

But you also need to install the extension pack. It can be downloaded from here https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads just under "VirtualBox 6.0.12 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack" click on "all supported platforms".

Once downloaded just double click on it in the file manager to install, if it asks what program to use it's virtualbox.

You can now run VB and install win xp (assuming you have got an iso from somewhere).

When you have win xp up and running, install guest-additions. If you look at the VB panel at the bottom of the screen, right click on the CD icon (see piccy) and select guest-additions. Win will either automatically open your virtual CD drive or you can go to my computer and open it from there and run the setup.exe.
Workspace 1_034.png
Workspace 1_034.png (39.61 KiB) Viewed 561 times
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Thanks, I appreciate it. I will try to do it when I have a bit more free time.

I have the Win XP install disk from my other computer but what about all the updates, patches, etc? Will I need to download everything from MS? Is that possible? How about serial? is it necessary? I suppose once I have Win XP OS installed I should be able to install all the other apps.

At any rate, I will try to install Virtual Box first and once I have completed that I will look into the next steps.

Thanks again.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

The extension pack is only needed for high speed USB devices, otherwise you don't need to bother.

But yes, you need to acquire a license for Windows XP, it's not Linux. ;)
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

GS3 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:59 pmDo I need a license?
FYI, your OEM license key won't be good enough. At least, I wasn't able to get it to work and saw several articles confirming that was standard.
OTOH, I didn't try to move heaven and earth to get it done, so maybe I overlooked something.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I only use XP for one thing, and not very often - the workshop manuals for my better half's Saab 9-3. The Saab WIS software will only run under XP. I downloaded an XP iso from somewhere on the web (can't remember where, it was at least a couple of years ago). Never had any licences issues, it's never nagged me about registering.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

The OEM XP license will not work under VB. It is hard coded for the original hardware only. OE = Original Equipment!

You can search for and install XP ISO in VB.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-102 Cinn 6.0.4

Return to “Beginner Questions”