[SOLVED] Win XP sp3 Verify/Authenticate ISO

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Spec2r
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Win XP sp3 Verify/Authenticate ISO

Post by Spec2r » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 pm

*Thank you in advance for your attention.*
I had found a post w/ my similar problem: using help in cmd prompt, i found that this version of windows xp does not have the CERTUTIL cmd. So their resolution was download SHA256SUM.EXE from labtestproject.com, which worked for them. When following the instructions from that site, i get an error from the "16 bit MS-DOS subsystem(is that a clue?): NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction w/ option of Close or ignore. Even hitting the ignore(just once), i immediately get the same error box ultimately giving me no choice but to Close halting the cmd. My temp goal is to install Mint19 mate 64bit, on to more modern hardware via XP. I appreciate your time on the matter.
Last edited by Moem on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you; please note that you can and should do this for your own topics. Thanks!

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Win XP sp3 Verify/Authenticate ISO

Post by decrepit » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:16 am

I'm afraid I don't understand your intentions. Why does XP need to get involved?

You only need to download the iso image and burn to a thumb drive.

Spec2r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Spec2r » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:52 am

The install guide for Linuxmint 19 instructs to perform integrity check on ISO file prior to making bootable thumb drive. Win xp is the OS I currently use for internet access, but does not have the utility/tool to run sum check (CertUtil command) so to compare the hash from sha256.txt with the hash of the ISO file(both downloaded from Linuxmint). So I installed a 3rd party sumcheck utility...Which I'm now realizing is for comparing hash of Fedora11 ISO and not Linuxmint 19. (Palm to Head). I need to do more research.

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:10 am

I've downloaded many distros and never had a faulty one, so if it gets too hard, you could always take a gamble that it's OK. Certainly not recommended. But I'm wondering if you can do the check with the live stick prior to installing??

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:29 am

https://www.7-zip.org/ is an archiver that should work on all editions of Windows XP and should add an option to calculate checksums to the right-click context menu in Windows Explorer. Maybe you can confirm and I could mention it in the guide.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Spec2r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Spec2r » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:21 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:29 am
https://www.7-zip.org/ is an archiver that should work on all editions of Windows XP and should add an option to calculate checksums to the right-click context menu in Windows Explorer. Maybe you can confirm and I could mention it in the guide.
Ok, I'll try that tonight and let you know the outcome. Thanks

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:46 pm

Spec2r wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 pm
I had found a post w/ my similar problem
For reference, you're talking about this thread, right? If not, worth a look.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Spec2r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Spec2r » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:38 pm

pbear wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:46 pm
Spec2r wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 pm
I had found a post w/ my similar problem
For reference, you're talking about this thread, right? If not, worth a look.
Yes, that's the post I was referring to. I downloaded the sha256sum.exe and when I hit enter to run, it came back w the aforementioned error giving me the option to close or ignore. I took a chance and hit ignore, came back with same error window except the last 3 or 4 numbers were different than the previous error window. once again giving me the option of close or ignore. Reluctantly hitting ignore again. It seemed like it started operation because the cursor in command prompt window started bouncing all over the place(that freaked me out a bit). Concerned with what was taking place, I brought up the task manager just to see what the CPU was doing. It was maxed out processing at 100% and did not let up(freaked me out a bit more). One too many unknowns for me so I terminated the operation. Is that normal, should I just let it run? Can't melt my xp box, still use it for my day to day stuff. Thanks

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:46 pm

Spec2r wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:38 pm
... should I just let it run?
No, you should try the alternative gm10 suggested. :)
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Spec2r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Spec2r » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:26 pm

gm10 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:29 am
SUCCESS! SUCCESS! SUCCESS! A Thousand Thanks GM10(confirmation affirmed), you're awesome! And thank you all for your suggestions.
Here are the steps i took:
- d/l'd 7z and installed
- because i was applying the instructions from install guide, i was running calculator on folder (containing all 3 files - .ISO, .txt, .gpg) instead of the single .ISO file, the output hash didn't match the hash of .txt. (The clue for me was the total number of files in the output)(when right click on .ISO, i clicked on CRC SHA, then i clicked SHA 256 to run calculation)
- ran calculator on the single .ISO file, HASH match!
- Then successful authentication.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:34 am

Nice. I added those instructions to the "How to verify the ISO image on Windows" guide.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Newbie Questions”