list of packages that can be uninstalled

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
helpmelearn
Level 2
Level 2

list of packages that can be uninstalled

Post by helpmelearn »

Hello... Is there a list of packages/programs that can be safely removed that wouldn't cause issues with Linux? Mint has many packages/software that I don't need and If possible I would like to uninstall them, why have programs install if you're never going to use them? Thanks
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: list of packages that can be uninstall

Post by gm10 »

As a rule of thumb, anything that appears in your menu can be removed, but the rest should be left alone. Note that sometimes the removal of one package entails the removal of others, review that list very carefully before confirming the removal.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

helpmelearn wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:54 pm
why have programs install if you're never going to use them?
On the other hand, why remove them? It's not like they eat any bread.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
helpmelearn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by helpmelearn »

That what I try doing from the Menu but because I removed maybe 20 or so after I rebooted I got a black screen.
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

helpmelearn wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:26 pm
That what I try doing from the Menu but because I removed maybe 20 or so after I rebooted I got a black screen.
Oy, get back to Clonezilla.
helpmelearn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: list of packages that can be uninstalled

Post by helpmelearn »

So I'm assuming there isn't any safe list since I did uninstall from the Menu I got the problems afterward. This is what I uninstalled

Everything under Graphics, everything under Office, Universal Access, everything under internet but kept Chromium browser, Accessories I kept Disks, Doc Viewer, Files, Screenshot, image Viewer and Fonts everything else got uninstalled. Administration uninstalled >> Disk Usage analyzer, Login Window, Logs, Printers, Power stats .... It looks like it was more than 20 packages. I don't have any need for these.
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

At installation your system had 300,000 files. That goes up with time. Weeding out 20 or 200 won't make ANY difference. Just let it go.

If it will make you feel better, here's a list of things you can do safely to tidy up a bit.
helpmelearn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by helpmelearn »

pbear wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:43 pm
At installation your system had 300,000 files. That goes up with time. Weeding out 20 or 200 won't make ANY difference. Just let it go.

If it will make you feel better, here's a list of things you can do safely to tidy up a bit.
Nice, thanks... I like that list... I will have to save it for later.... BTW I was trying slax usb stick not to bad either, simple not much on it...
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

If you're looking for a lean system, then Mint is simply not the best place to start. It's a full-featured OS, it comes with the whole kit and caboodle, by design.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

helpmelearn wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:21 pm
So I'm assuming there isn't any safe list since I did uninstall from the Menu I got the problems afterward. This is what I uninstalled
As I warned, certain packages will result in the removal of others, you need to review that list. You possibly ended up removing your desktop environment in this case (likely by removing apps from the Administration and System Tools category, be especially careful with those - also wanting to remove those I have to wonder why you chose to use Mint in the first place - when you're done there won't be much of Mint left).
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

helpmelearn wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:21 pm
I don't have any need for these.
Except that, apparently, your system did. Were there any warnings?

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

How could abyone compile a list of packages that can be safely removed for all users? No sense there at all. Linux is a lot more modular than WIndows so it's not trivial to decide what you need. I haven't had any WIndows for years and I still regularly get updates for software whose nale I don't recopgnize at all. This seems to freak out some Linux newbies but it shouldn't.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

rather than removing any program, you can simply Delete it's associated Icon ..
- whilst leaving the actual program, still in-place .. .. with today's modern & larger HDDs - - you don't need to clean-up so much.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

pbear wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:43 pm
I managed to cut that in about half. There is a TON of junk in most linux installs.

Mint 19.2

Code: Select all

$ sud find  /mnt/MINT -type f | wc -l
$ df --inodes /mnt/MINT
Filesystem      Inodes  IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/sda1      1286144 173945 1112199   14% /mnt/MINT
Mint 18.3:

$ sud find  /mnt/MT18  -type f | wc -l
$ df --inodes /mnt/MT18
/dev/sda6      1220608 148568 1072040   13% /
Manjaro:

$ sud find  /mnt/MANO -type f | wc -l
$ df --inodes /mnt/MANO
/dev/sda2      1275456 187709 1087747   15% /mnt/MANO
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Moem wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:12 pm
helpmelearn wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:54 pm
why have programs install if you're never going to use them?
On the other hand, why remove them? It's not like they eat any bread.
that is not the right attitude, my friend. :wink: too many fonts and translation by default. first thing i did after installing mint is use bleach bit as root to delete everything including translations and i recovered some 1.5GB
i mean who in their right mind would click on avahi browser or many of the useless menu entries? i say DELETE everything you can not because you don't have enough space but because in the real world we call this hording. the garage is full of tools and accessories that will never be used
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

trytip wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:27 am
in the real world we call this hording.
I'm fully with you on that. I always trim the fat off my systems, dropping everything I will not be using. Should you ever need it you can just install it again, anyway. I never did.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

trytip wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:27 am
that is not the right attitude, my friend. :wink: too many fonts and translation by default.
"tzdata" has over 1,800 files, who purpose seems to be to make it difficult to say "-06:00"; uninstall it and save 3 files. (Everything from freedesktop is disgustingly bloated; next up: mime data, about 800 files where there should be one or two)

I deleted over 4,000 (!) font files from Manjaro, and a few hundred from each of the Mints.

There are hundreds of translation files in around 45 to 50 directories, which don't get deleted even if you delete all the locale packages and use 'localepurge'. Deleted (Try this to find the directories: sudo find / -iname "*zh*")

I use Mint-X themes but there are thousands of files in the Min-X-whatever themes/icons and I delete those.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

To Flemur, trytip and gm10, putting aside whether there's much value to trimming out excess packages, it helps the OP none at all to endorse it or say you do it without giving him clear instructions he can follow without breaking his system, bearing in mind he is a complete newbie.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

pbear wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:27 am
To Flemur, trytip and gm10, putting aside whether there's much value to trimming out excess packages, it helps the OP none at all to endorse it or say you do it without giving him clear instructions he can follow without breaking his system, bearing in mind he is a complete newbie.
My instructions were clear enough though - cannot be more specific without knowing what exactly they want to remove. And there's Timeshift so if they break stuff they can just go back.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Flemur wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:05 am
...There is a TON of junk in most linux installs.

thx1138@Lenovo ~ $ free -mh
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           7,7G        215M        7,1G         86M        342M        7,1G
Swap:          7,9G          0B        7,9G

thx1138@Lenovo ~ $ inxi -m
Memory:    RAM: total: 7.65 GiB used: 286.7 MiB (3.7%) 

thx1138@Lenovo ~ $ df -i /
Filesystem       Inodes  IUsed    IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/sda2      60506112 155458 60350654    1% /

thx1138@Lenovo ~ $ aptitude search '~i' | wc -l
That is, Mate 18.3...(around a minute after boot...pretty decent for Mate i believe).

...And let them whine that 'Lubuntu got fattier' (o rly?).
I mean, if they can't trim down the bugger, to each his/her own...

Return to “Newbie Questions”