list of packages that can be uninstalled

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
helpmelearn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: list of packages that can be uninstalled

Post by helpmelearn »

gm10 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:48 pm
Of course, and as others have suggested, you could also just leave the system as it is, at least until you're more experienced.
That just it I don't care to be more experienced and no offense to you people. I just want to be able just to have a simple easy to install OS from a flash drive, desktop environment, having the network working, browser working, video & music player working and a simple notepad, that all so how much experience does one need for that? Truthfully I don't even care to update the OS but I will if it doesn't take much time and effort... Not everybody cares about computers or how it runs. It's like owning a car not everybody needs to be a mechanic to use a car. Oh, by the way, I did uninstall many packages and I did it from the software section, everything seems to be working okay
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Oh Mint will work out of the box, the experience part was about modifying the system by removing potentially vital parts. But seems you've removed what you want now, so you should be all good?

You can enable automatic software updates in Update Manager's preferences by the way.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools
helpmelearn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by helpmelearn »

gm10 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:32 pm
Oh Mint will work out of the box, the experience part was about modifying the system by removing potentially vital parts. But seems you've removed what you want now, so you should be all good?

You can enable automatic software updates in Update Manager's preferences by the way.
Yeah, true enough. I will stick with this since it seems to be the only one, Find it very odd with all the so call many distros available of Linux not one single developer has made such a simple to use Linux desktop environment with wifi network, browser capability, thanks anyways...
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

FWIW, Ubuntu has something called Minimal installation, with just "Web browser and basic utilities." Maybe worth a look.
helpmelearn
Level 2
Level 2

Post by helpmelearn »

I have read a little already about it and I think I will read more after I get this Cinnamon OS to my liken, thanks ... I don't have major issues with Mint. It is a rock solid OS just that I don't need all the stuff it offers. I have done already a lot of removals and it seems to be loading pretty fast & solid, whoever is responsible for creating Mint did a good job.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

why can't i delete my comments?
Last edited by trytip on Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

EDIT: since mint forums took away my ability to control my posts
Last edited by trytip on Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DisturbedDragon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DisturbedDragon »

trytip wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:17 am
DisturbedDragon wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:04 pm
... I have well over 50 'nix machines with 2GB to 256GB RAM and not one has a swap.
maybe my OCD is kicking in , or maybe i'm just irritated at people abbreviating when there should be none. do you not have the time to spell out linux or is your computer missing some keys, or are you typing on a phone/tablet where every finger press counts? even worse when i hear about a linux box, as if all the other gadgets aren't boxes. not trying to be mean, i should just go get my coffee now :?
No keys missing. Pretty petty really and helps the thread none. Thread continued....
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16C/32T | MSI x470 Gaming Pro | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Nvidia RTX2080 OC | Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

#DisturbedDragon
you're absolutely right i'm petty that way, but i can't delete my comment if you don't delete yours first. you see mint forum takes away my ability to delete my comments. only the last post in the thread can be deleted the rest only edited.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Mainly to try and get the thread back on track:
pbear wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:12 pm
FWIW, Ubuntu has something called Minimal installation, with just "Web browser and basic utilities." Maybe worth a look.
The minimal installation sucks because it first installs everything and then removes the rest again. But they have a network installer which only downloads and installs what you choose, I can recommend that one:
Ubuntu Network Installer Software Selection.png
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

gm10 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:45 am
The minimal installation sucks because it first installs everything and then removes the rest again.

Is this a substantive problem? Sounds more like it offends your aesthetic sense. I ask because although the OP has said he's not interested in the option, I'd like to know whether to recommend in future. Indeed, I expect to see many Win7 refugees in the next few months who say, "All I want ... " Of course, "just ignore the stuff you don't need" is also an option. I'd like to offer both. People like having options.
But they have a network installer which only downloads and installs what you choose, I can recommend that one:
Seriously? To a newbie? I'm imagining the scolding they'll get when they screw it up.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

pbear wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:49 am
gm10 wrote:
The minimal installation sucks because it first installs everything and then removes the rest again.

Is this a substantive problem?
I didn't think anything in this thread was about substantive problems. And as I said, I mainly posted to cut off the unnecessary bickering above. ;)
pbear wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:49 am
But they have a network installer which only downloads and installs what you choose, I can recommend that one:
Seriously? To a newbie? I'm imagining the scolding they'll get when they screw it up.
askubuntu's problem. :lol: :twisted:
Actually I don't think it's that complicated, but I also think a true newbie should just leave the system alone and simply use it.

But anyway, if you want to do Ubuntu's minimal install option, here it is (Ubuntu 18.04 version) as a terminal command:

Code: Select all

apt purge thunderbird transmission-gtk gnome-todo baobab rhythmbox cheese vino shotwell totem usb-creator-gtk deja-dup gnome-calendar remmina simple-scan thunderbird-gnome-support aisleriot gnome-mahjongg gnome-mines gnome-sudoku branding-ubuntu libreoffice-style-breeze libreoffice-gnome libreoffice-writer libreoffice-calc libreoffice-impress libreoffice-math libreoffice-ogltrans libreoffice-pdfimport example-content ubuntu-web-launchers libreoffice-l10n-en-gb libreoffice-l10n-es libreoffice-l10n-zh-cn libreoffice-l10n-zh-tw libreoffice-l10n-pt libreoffice-l10n-pt-br libreoffice-l10n-de libreoffice-l10n-fr libreoffice-l10n-it libreoffice-l10n-ru libreoffice-l10n-en-za libreoffice-help-en-gb libreoffice-help-es libreoffice-help-zh-cn libreoffice-help-zh-tw libreoffice-help-pt libreoffice-help-pt-br libreoffice-help-de libreoffice-help-fr libreoffice-help-it libreoffice-help-ru libreoffice-help-en-us thunderbird-locale-en thunderbird-locale-en-gb thunderbird-locale-en-us thunderbird-locale-es thunderbird-locale-es-ar thunderbird-locale-es-es thunderbird-locale-zh-cn thunderbird-locale-zh-hans thunderbird-locale-zh-hant thunderbird-locale-zh-tw thunderbird-locale-pt thunderbird-locale-pt-br thunderbird-locale-pt-pt thunderbird-locale-de thunderbird-locale-fr thunderbird-locale-it thunderbird-locale-ru gir1.2-rb-3.0 gir1.2-totem-1.0 gir1.2-totemplparser-1.0 guile-2.0-libs libabw-0.1-1 libavahi-ui-gtk3-0 libdmapsharing-3.0-2 libexttextcat-2.0-0 libexttextcat-data libfreehand-0.1-1 libgnome-games-support-1-3 libgnome-games-support-common libgom-1.0-0 libgrilo-0.3-0 liblangtag-common liblangtag1 libmessaging-menu0 libmhash2 libminiupnpc10 libmwaw-0.3-3 libmythes-1.2-0 libnatpmp1 libneon27-gnutls liborcus-0.13-0 libpagemaker-0.0-0 librdf0 libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-gtk3 libreoffice-style-elementary libreoffice-style-galaxy libreoffice-style-tango libraptor2-0 librasqal3 librevenge-0.0-0 librhythmbox-core10 libtotem0 libvisio-0.1-1 libwpd-0.10-10 libwpg-0.3-3 libwps-0.4-4 libyajl2 python3-uno rhythmbox-data rhythmbox-plugin-alternative-toolbar rhythmbox-plugins remmina-common remmina-plugin-rdp remmina-plugin-secret remmina-plugin-vnc duplicity seahorse-daemon shotwell-common totem-common totem-plugins transmission-common cheese-common gnome-todo-common libgnome-todo gnome-video-effects libcheese-gtk25 libcheese8 uno-libs3 ure zeitgeist-core hunspell-de-at-frami hunspell-de-ch-frami hunspell-de-de-frami hunspell-en-au hunspell-en-ca hunspell-en-gb hunspell-en-za hunspell-es hunspell-fr hunspell-fr-classical hunspell-it hunspell-pt-br hunspell-pt-pt hunspell-ru hyphen-de hyphen-en-ca hyphen-en-gb hyphen-en-us hyphen-fr hyphen-hr hyphen-it hyphen-pl hyphen-pt-br hyphen-pt-pt hyphen-ru mythes-de mythes-de-ch mythes-en-au mythes-en-us mythes-fr mythes-it mythes-pt-pt mythes-ru
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

gm10 wrote:
After reading your post I installed that (w/o MBR, which is nice, and the installer was pretty easy to use) booted to a console and installed xorg, fluxbox and lxterminal (--no-install-recommends). Here are some sizes:

df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1        20G  4.7G   14G  26% /   (Mint 19.2)
/dev/sda6        19G  4.2G   14G  25% /mnt/MT18  (Mint 18.3)
/dev/sda7        20G  2.6G   16G  15% /mnt/UBUN  (ubuntu, as above)
Both the Mints have alsa and gimp and other such stuff installed, but are also pretty thouroughly "cleaned"); wine and firefox are installed on a different partition (4 OSs use the same firefox executable, ~/.mozilla, wine executables and ~/.wine)

So my conclusion, which I already knew: a minimal linux install with a graphic environment isn't much smaller than a "full install", like Mint, with the easy-to-remove stuff removed (like office, icons, etc.).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Flemur wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:55 pm
So my conclusion, which I already knew: a minimal linux install with a graphic environment isn't much smaller than a "full install", like Mint, with the easy-to-remove stuff removed (like office, icons, etc.).
As far as I recall a default Mint 19.x install comes up shy of 8 GB plus /swapfile out of the box, so you did quite a bit of cleaning.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

The most newbie-possible thing to do would probably be a) freeze (not sure what the right term is) all the current programmes you dont want to use in synaptic and b) remove them all from the menu.

For all intents and purposes you'd never know the other programmes even exist as you wouldn't see them anywhere and they wouldn't receive updates. And of course you wouldn't break anything.
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

gm10 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:03 pm
But anyway, if you want to do Ubuntu's minimal install option, here it is (Ubuntu 18.04 version) as a terminal command:

apt purge thunderbird transmission-gtk gnome-todo baobab rhythmbox cheese vino shotwell totem usb-creator-gtk deja-dup gnome-calendar remmina simple-scan thunderbird-gnome-support aisleriot gnome-mahjongg gnome-mines gnome-sudoku branding-ubuntu libreoffice-style-breeze libreoffice-gnome libreoffice-writer libreoffice-calc libreoffice-impress libreoffice-math libreoffice-ogltrans libreoffice-pdfimport example-content ubuntu-web-launchers libreoffice-l10n-en-gb libreoffice-l10n-es libreoffice-l10n-zh-cn libreoffice-l10n-zh-tw libreoffice-l10n-pt libreoffice-l10n-pt-br libreoffice-l10n-de libreoffice-l10n-fr libreoffice-l10n-it libreoffice-l10n-ru libreoffice-l10n-en-za libreoffice-help-en-gb libreoffice-help-es libreoffice-help-zh-cn libreoffice-help-zh-tw libreoffice-help-pt libreoffice-help-pt-br libreoffice-help-de libreoffice-help-fr libreoffice-help-it libreoffice-help-ru libreoffice-help-en-us thunderbird-locale-en thunderbird-locale-en-gb thunderbird-locale-en-us thunderbird-locale-es thunderbird-locale-es-ar thunderbird-locale-es-es thunderbird-locale-zh-cn thunderbird-locale-zh-hans thunderbird-locale-zh-hant thunderbird-locale-zh-tw thunderbird-locale-pt thunderbird-locale-pt-br thunderbird-locale-pt-pt thunderbird-locale-de thunderbird-locale-fr thunderbird-locale-it thunderbird-locale-ru gir1.2-rb-3.0 gir1.2-totem-1.0 gir1.2-totemplparser-1.0 guile-2.0-libs libabw-0.1-1 libavahi-ui-gtk3-0 libdmapsharing-3.0-2 libexttextcat-2.0-0 libexttextcat-data libfreehand-0.1-1 libgnome-games-support-1-3 libgnome-games-support-common libgom-1.0-0 libgrilo-0.3-0 liblangtag-common liblangtag1 libmessaging-menu0 libmhash2 libminiupnpc10 libmwaw-0.3-3 libmythes-1.2-0 libnatpmp1 libneon27-gnutls liborcus-0.13-0 libpagemaker-0.0-0 librdf0 libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-gtk3 libreoffice-style-elementary libreoffice-style-galaxy libreoffice-style-tango libraptor2-0 librasqal3 librevenge-0.0-0 librhythmbox-core10 libtotem0 libvisio-0.1-1 libwpd-0.10-10 libwpg-0.3-3 libwps-0.4-4 libyajl2 python3-uno rhythmbox-data rhythmbox-plugin-alternative-toolbar rhythmbox-plugins remmina-common remmina-plugin-rdp remmina-plugin-secret remmina-plugin-vnc duplicity seahorse-daemon shotwell-common totem-common totem-plugins transmission-common cheese-common gnome-todo-common libgnome-todo gnome-video-effects libcheese-gtk25 libcheese8 uno-libs3 ure zeitgeist-core hunspell-de-at-frami hunspell-de-ch-frami hunspell-de-de-frami hunspell-en-au hunspell-en-ca hunspell-en-gb hunspell-en-za hunspell-es hunspell-fr hunspell-fr-classical hunspell-it hunspell-pt-br hunspell-pt-pt hunspell-ru hyphen-de hyphen-en-ca hyphen-en-gb hyphen-en-us hyphen-fr hyphen-hr hyphen-it hyphen-pl hyphen-pt-br hyphen-pt-pt hyphen-ru mythes-de mythes-de-ch mythes-en-au mythes-en-us mythes-fr mythes-it mythes-pt-pt mythes-ru
Not sure I want to DO it, but I'm very happy to learn how it's done. Thanks.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

deanr72 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:48 pm
The most newbie-possible thing to do would probably be a) freeze (not sure what the right term is) all the current programmes you dont want to use in synaptic and b) remove them all from the menu.

For all intents and purposes you'd never know the other programmes even exist as you wouldn't see them anywhere and they wouldn't receive updates. And of course you wouldn't break anything.
I think you mean Update Manager's blacklist? But that would indeed be a very newbie thing to do for then you'd end up having a lot of software with known security vulnerabilities on the system, and in particular as a newbie you cannot know what other software (or malware) on your system may be making use of it. Not recommended at all.
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Trying to add some sanity to this discussion. Linux, as installed, is a complete package for all and sundry to use. It tries to cover the most common needs. Of course there are bits you won't use/need just like your motor car. You purchase the whole, integrated, package.

When you get your new car from the dealer do you then go 'round it and remove all the bits you don't need. I don't smoke, why do I need a cigarette lighter? Look how much weight/space you could save by removing all but the driver's seat, carpets? Who needs them. What about that spare tyre? I don't like flat tyres, might as well remove that, too, along with the tools. Let's look under the hood. Ah! A catalytic converter, that does nothing, we'll remove that, the exhaust only adds weight, we'll minimise that. Brakes? They only slow you down.............
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Newbie Questions”