HP all-in-one printer drivers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Re: HP all-in-one printer drivers

Post by Slowpoke47 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:17 pm

Well, nothing is easy. Installed the three missing files, still no scanner found. Error message:
Screenshot at 2019-10-20 11-29-51.png
Newly installed XSane Image app didn't find the scanner either. Turned off firewall settings for home and office, still not found.

The cited link goes to the download page for the newest driver, 3.19.8.

Next, looked in Pkg Mgr- hlip files showed several entries for v. 3.17.10 as installed, one not installed. Don't understand this, as I went thru the installation of the newest file a couple of days ago and the older one was supposed to be removed. But hplip-gui was not installed, so I installed it. Several other files automatically added. No scanner.

Just to be sure, I tried to print a doc- successful. Thoughts?

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Let's try the latest driver files 3.19

Go to this link, let it go into your Downloads folder. This is the actual link that HP gives to access the file.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/ ... irror=nchc

After it's downloaded, run this in Terminal

Code: Select all

sh /Downloads/hplip-3.19.8.run
If that doesn't work, then will need to know the exact path, since it may create an hplip...... folder, which we'd need to drop into for the run file.

During this process,you will see something like this below. When you see the option for automatic, custom or quit, choose the option for automatic. As you can see, I chose quit since I didn't want it installed on my system, which works OK already.

When finished, try the scanner. You could also try hp-scan in the Terminal program, see if anything happens. Also some html files included with these indicated that XSane needs to be installed from Package Manager, if it hasn't already.

mint18@mint18 ~/Downloads/HPLIP $ sh hplip-3.19.8.run
Creating directory hplip-3.19.8
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing HPLIP 3.19.8 Self Extracting Archive.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.8)
HPLIP Installer ver. 5.1

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Installer log saved in: hplip-install_Sun-20-Oct-2019_14:14:33.log

\
note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.

INSTALLATION MODE
-----------------
Automatic mode will install the full HPLIP solution with the most common options.
Custom mode allows you to choose installation options to fit specific requirements.

Please choose the installation mode (a=automatic*, c=custom, q=quit) : q
mint18@mint18 ~/Downloads/HPLIP $
Here's the full instructions.
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... tall/index

Here's the PGP key you may need to use. Use copy/past to put it in if requested.

Code: Select all

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEABECAAYFAl1fo8sACgkQc9dwzaWQR7mVZACfRvJWIIPrBFGXeese9BC+GWoM
8LAAnjx51WbBY3E+UpTdcSrdX/FIy8Eq
=twHW
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Actually did this exact sequence yesterday. The system took over and went through several steps, including downloads and option to remove the older driver (I said ok) and got to the point at which the key glitch came up. But just did it again- of course, the new file received the designation (1) due to having the same name as the earlier one.

Terminal showed error message, "can't open hplip-3.19.8(1).run" so I then changed the name of the earlier instance to (2) so I could remove the (1) from today's download and tried again, still "can't open...).

Strangely, after yesterday's "install" of 3.19, and supposed removal of 3.17, Package Manager still shows the older app as installed (see my s/shot posted earlier today) and 3.19 does not appear in the listings there. And, since print function works, I believe 3.17 is still functional. Also, during the supposed install yesterday, HP placed an icon in the tray, which when activated cannot find the printer!

What about uninstalling all the HP software and starting over?

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Sure, start over. Then go to /usr/share/hplip and delete everything in the folder.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:00 pm

In an abundance of caution, please confirm that I will be doing this using Package Manager. This means I will be installing the 3.17.10 entries listed there. I don't care about having the latest update, as long as I can get the print and scan to work.

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:03 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:44 pm
Sure, start over. Then go to /usr/share/hplip and delete everything in the folder.
Where is this folder?

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:26 pm

Open file manager, (Home icon on desktop) go to File System in it (in left column). Right click on usr folder and choose "open as administrator". On superuser filemanager page, then open the share folder, then the hplip folder.

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:26 pm
Open file manager, (Home icon on desktop) go to File System in it (in left column). Right click on usr folder and choose "open as administrator". On superuser filemanager page, then open the share folder, then the hplip folder.
Path to this folder is a little different in Mate 19,2, but found it and emptied hplip folder. uninstalled and reinstalled hplip and scanner entries in Pkg Mgr. Print function aok, simple scan entry missing from list of applications in main menu.

Looks like I can get it back using search box in main menu. Cannot work on this further until tomorrow. Thanks for your assistance, will be back then.

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:25 am

Back at it...

First, reinstalled simple scan using the search box in the main menu- done. "Scanner not found."

Then- rechecked in Pkg Mgr to be sure all entries for hplip and scan functions are installed- all good. Same result.

Then- ran terminal commands from your post last Saturday
Screenshot at 2019-10-21 10-49-39.png
The sudo... command generated the by-now familiar simple scan pop-up, result, "Scanner not found."

Then- went to the link you posted for driver download, shows v. 3.19.8. I tried this yesterday and ran into the key issue, as previously noted. Before I do this again, what is your thought on attempting to stay with the currently installed v. 3.17.10 and running the sudo command with that file requested? And if yes, does the same key you posted apply?

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:43 pm

I don't know if the same key works with 3.17, but possibly does. It won't hurt to try it.

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:32 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:43 pm
I don't know if the same key works with 3.17, but possibly does. It won't hurt to try it.
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow (can't get to it before then). My thought is that the newer version may not be able to run our "old" printer.

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:55 pm

A reminder from a post of Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:23 pm.

Two essential condtions need to be met to get this device scanning automatically with simple-scan:
  • The plugin needs to be installed
  • The print queue needs to be set up with an hp://... URI. socket://... is not acceptable.
--
Brian.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:02 pm

I have the plugins folder from 3.19 which I downloaded. I wonder if he just put it into the HPLIP folder, that would be sufficient to solve the problem?

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:54 pm

I'm still here- but, once again, the rest of my life has pre-empted solving this issue. Couldn't work on it at all today and tomorrow looks no better. I'll post back as soon as I see some daylight with a recap of where things stand with this. Thank you!

Return to “Newbie Questions”