HP all-in-one printer drivers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Re: HP all-in-one printer drivers

Post by Slowpoke47 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:55 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:02 pm
Slowpoke47 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:39 pm
Spearmint2 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:20 pm
just to clarify. Are you able to print from linux? Is the only problem using the scanner on it?
Yes, print function works as expected.

Then why all this other stuff being done? Why not just install the scanner programs I asked you to do, then in Menu, find simple scan and try it out.
I did try that- didn't work.

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Earlier you said, great, now we're in the ...directory. I read that to mean that I should add the new commands to that same command screen. I didn't see the text you referenced, but I thought you would want to see what did come back. I have been doing select all, copy, paste, and for some reason most of the most recent paste did not appear. Were your two most recent commands meant to be in a new command window?

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:10 pm

I also said
you will see a bunch of files which have been extracted from hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run
You couldn't even say
Yes, I see them
or
No, I do not see them
You previously said:
While my tech knowledge is somewhat limited, I can follow directions, if I understand what I'm told to do. If you can "cookbook" me through this, I will be most grateful.
You then ignore the directions and the cookbook recipe.

I am out of here.
--
Brian.

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Thanks for your efforts anyway.

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:29 pm

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:11 pm
Thanks for your efforts anyway.
Appreciated. I am the only resondent who knows what your issue is and how to solve it.

Good luck.
--
Brian.

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:49 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:05 pm
Do you have any comment on the current developments here?
Not really. Gotten too confusing at this point. I'd start over.

And here's why. Too many others having printer problems that seem related to systemd setup.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS
Socket activation

cups provides a org.cups.cupsd.socket unit. If org.cups.cupsd.socket is enabled (and org.cups.cupsd.service is disabled), systemd will not start CUPS immediately, it will just listen to the appropriate sockets. Then, whenever a program attempts to connect to one of these CUPS sockets, systemd will start org.cups.cupsd.service and transparently hand over control of these ports to the CUPS process.

This way, CUPS is only started once a program wants to make use of the service.

To discover or share printers using DNS-SD/mDNS, setup .local hostname resolution with Avahi and restart org.cups.cupsd.service.
Note: DNS-SD is only supported when using Avahi. CUPS does not support using systemd-resolved for DNS-SD, see CUPS issue 5452.

Just went back again to look at these links- no idea what I am looking at or what to do with them.

By default, all logs are sent to files in /var/log/cups/. By changing the values of the AccessLog, ErrorLog, and PageLog directives in /etc/cups/cups-files.conf to syslog, CUPS can be made to log to the systemd journal instead. See the fedora wiki page for information on the original proposed change.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1092392 ... untu-18-10

Notice similar problem above, and systemctl means systemd involved with it too.

Need more?

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52628

Have some fun reading the comments on systemd

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:53 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:38 pm
Is this still all about the scanner? The printer is working otherwise? Even if printer isn't working at the time, I'd add some scanner programs.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install sane

sudo apt install xsane

sudo apt install simple-scan
The run the GUI simple scan from Menu and see if you can scan. Of course you need to be sure the printer is showing in your router with an IP address.
Here is the result of these commands:

steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ ls -l plugin
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ total 4032

Command 'total' not found, did you mean:

command 'topal' from deb topal

Try: sudo apt install <deb name>

steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ -rw-rw-r-- 1 steve steve 2062947 Oct 21 2017 hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run
-rw-rw-r--: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ -rw-rw-r-- 1 steve steve 2062947 Oct 21 2017 hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run.1
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ cd plugin
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~/plugin$ ls -l
bash: steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~/plugin$: No such file or directory

steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ -rw-rw-r-- 1 steve steve 2062947 Oct 21 2017 hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ -rw-rw-r-- 1 steve steve 2062947 Oct 21 2017 hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run.1
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~/plugin$ sh hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run -tar vxf
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ Unrecognized flag : -tar
Unrecognized: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ Makeself version 2.1.5

Command 'Makeself' not found, did you mean:

command 'makeself' from deb makeself

steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ 1) Getting help or info about hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run :
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run --help Print this message
hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run --info Print embedded info : title, default target directory, embedded script ...
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run --lsm Print embedded lsm entry (or no LSM)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run --list Print the list of files in the archive
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run --check Checks integrity of the archive
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ 2) Running hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run :
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ hplip-3.17.10-plugin.run [options] [--] [additional arguments to embedded script]
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ with following options (in that order)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ --confirm Ask before running embedded script
--confirm: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ --noexec Do not run embedded script
--noexec: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ --keep Do not erase target directory after running
--keep: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ the embedded script

Command 'the' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install the

steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ --nox11 Do not spawn an xterm
--nox11: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ --nochown Do not give the extracted files to the current user
--nochown: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ --target NewDirectory Extract in NewDirectory
--target: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ --tar arg1 [arg2 ...] Access the contents of the archive through the tar command
--tar: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ -- Following arguments will be passed to the embedded script
--: command not found
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~/plugin$ ls -l

steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$ steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~/plugin$
steve@steve-Inspiron-519:~$

Once again, all Greek to me.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:01 pm

You might do better if you use these pages.

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... g/gethplip

This is how to install it.

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... tall/index

But you said printer is working OK with linux, doing the printing. If so, all you need is the scanner programs added.

Here's the software you need for scanning. It's in the Package Manager. I high-lighted the particular added one needed for HP scanners. You need these others too. When you open package manager, run hp and then scan in the search box. Then click on the S column to line up those which are already installed. If they aren't, then you need to scroll to find each one in the unchecked boxes, check to install, then the Apply to install them.

Remember, in your Menu (see panel) search box put in simple and you will see simple scan. Run it.

You can clk on the images and open larger, or right clk on each and open in a tab.
ScannerSoftware.png
ScannerSoftware2.png
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:27 pm

It seems you don't know how to install programs. If not using Package Manager, or Software Manager, you install programs from the Terminal, aka CLI (Command Line Input).

Seems you didn't do that for what brianp told you, because you didn't know how to do it.

You open the Terminal program. It looks like a DOS screen, like you saw in Windows. After you open it, to install a program you type;

sudo apt install
and then you add the name of the program you are installing a space later.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:50 am

Spearmint2- Many thanks for these posts. Regarding installing programs- all my computer experience until now has been Windows- easily installed programs on that OS, but the process is quite different here, and not intuitive for one coming from MS systems.

Used your links to download and install the latest version of hplip, overwrote the existing version. For any steps not explained, a little logic was the answer. All successful until the very end, when the command window called for a "binary plug-in" that could not be accessed. Disabled the firewall, still no joy. The HP Developer Portal offered a series of steps, but could not make them work. Message was, "unable to receive key from keyserver."

Curently the printer works as expected with the new software, scan still AWOL.
Screenshot at 2019-10-19 08-52-30.png
Screenshot at 2019-10-19 09-11-42.png
The missing plug-in is cited as enabling scan function. At least, I have a direction to look in, even if I'm currently stuck.
Last edited by Slowpoke47 on Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

HAWR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HAWR » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:57 am

Hello Slowpoke47,

here are the plugins for download:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ng/plugins

and here is how to install the plugin (side bottom):

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... lugin.html

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:03 am

HAWR wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:57 am
Hello Slowpoke47,

here are the plugins for download:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ng/plugins

and here is how to install the plugin (side bottom):

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... lugin.html
Thanks for posting- these are the guides I used to get to the, binary plugin needed, warning- can't get past there.

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:20 am

During the install, I selected "automatic" as the preferred option (other choice=custom). This HP page details custom install and mentiond binaries. Perhaps this is the answer?
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ass_Driver

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:29 pm

open the ufw program (firewall) from start menu. Turn it off. Then try again.

This is the exact plugin for that particular Laser Printer, based on your screen capture provided.

Device Plugin (Required/Optional) Min. Plugin Version Reason(s)
HP LaserJet m1522nf Multifunction Printer Required 2.8.10 Scanning support.
since it says "Minimum", maybe the newer plugin version will work with it too.

However, this should be sufficient version, so long as you have all the drivers for it. Notice it's the 3.16
available for easy install from the Package Manager.
HP-LaserJets-Programs.png

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Just looked in Package Manager, in this machine, I see v. 3.17.10+repack 0-5. The box to the left is solid green- I believe this means this file is already installed.

I think I'm almost there. I think I need to find out why I get the warning, "Unable to receive key from key server."

(We won't issue a demerit for misspelling "receive.")
Screenshot at 2019-10-19 16-22-50.png
This link, cited earlier, lists my printer as requiring the "binary plug-in" to support scan function.
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ass_Driver

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:49 pm

Also- this entry added to Graphics menu, just under Simple Scan, during the downloaded driver install this morning:

XSane Image scanning program- description is "A program to work with scanner. Can be used as a scanning, copier, OCR, fax tools."

But with printer turned on, neither this program or Simple Scan can find the scanner.
Screenshot at 2019-10-19 16-40-46.png
Firewall turned off.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:55 pm

I'm not sure what "key" they are talking about, but typically a "key" is compared to a file or program to check that the file or program is one validly produced and released by the person/company, and not some "hacked" program without the verification needed to prove it's valid. It's also possible if you force reinstall the plugin from Package Manager, it will included the needed security required and that notice would disappear. Otherwise you'd need to get the "key" from HP, where you downloaded the file which I suppose you installed from there, instead of Package Manager.

I guess this is the "key" you would need, if reinstalling first from Package Manager doesn't solve the problem.

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/docs/enterp ... y-isc.html

Here's info on "keys" and their use. PGP is one of the most commonly used types of "keys" used for verifying the issuer of programs.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-d ... f75ecea97/

For the message about Simple Scan, one reason is a possible permissions problem, as NOT being root and that being a requirement in whatever method of install was used on the HP driver files probably, instead of simple scan itself. You can open the simple scan as root and see if that bypassed the problem, which would then tell us the permissions are the problem, or some of the other reasons that were given are.

Try this in the Terminal window.

gksu simple-scan
or,if that fails

sudo simple-scan
gksu is for GUI type programs, but possibly that is being deprecated soon, if not already.

I've also not found anything about a keyserver or public key needed at those HP links. Your Laser printer is older, so the 3.16 driver files currently in Package Manager should be sufficent for it. If not,then I doubt the 3.17 by themselves would either. Here's what I would do first. Open Package Manager. Search for HP. Then clk on 'Latest Version" to line up all the 3.16.3 version HP driver files. It should look like the ones in my image below. Mark all those already installed for Reinstall. The 4 not yet installed,or if more of same version, mark for installation. If after doing that, there is still some problem, then we know all that can be done that way is exhausted, and can look for hopefully a .deb package of the plugin that may be needed, instead of needing to compile it. If it must be compiled, then I can do that for you hopefully, since it's a bit complicated for a newbie, and create a .deb package which I can put on my server for download. That's the best I can do for you, without actually being there.
HP_3.16.3_DriverFiles.png

Slowpoke47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Slowpoke47 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:36 am

Wow! Thank you in spades for the time and effort to compile your post. I will get working on this today, in a deliberate manner, hoping to avoid mistakes. Before trying to pick up the pieces from yesterday, I looked at Package Manager with perhaps a little better idea of what I am seeing. There are several entries connected with scanning, some installed, others, not. Also, I don't know the significance of the red curlicue symbol displayed with some entries.

Would you advise installing those entries that are unchecked? And if yes, is the correct procedure to check them and select "Apply" in the upper left?
Screenshot at 2019-10-20 08-23-46.png

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:00 am

Yes, install those, they are for scanning. Off to church for awhile now. The symbol is for Debian. I wonder why it's showing there?

Minux1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Minux1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:25 am

sudo apt-get install hplip hplip-gui
Running LM v 19.2 64 bit.
Had no issues with HP hardware.
Functional within minutes of connection.
Linux is fast becoming a full fledged desktop O/S from what was a server/networking O/S on its birthday in 1994.

Return to “Newbie Questions”