gameing

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Idaho Modder
Level 1
Level 1

gameing

Post by Idaho Modder »

ok first off i have never used anything but windows but im completely feed up with it and windows 7 is no better. but here is my issue im a pretty hard core gamer and run all my games through steam. if i run mint will steam work with all my games. if not i cant switch i have over a thousand dollars worth of products through steam and cant not have it. soooo please tell me that mint will run it and i can switch let me leave the evil clutches of windows.
a hopeful Idaho modder

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: gameing

Post by richyrich »

Idaho Modder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Idaho Modder »

has any one done this here? i guess its a free os and maybe i should just try it.

Ozz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ozz »

The end line for me is that Linux is not ready for games, not because it cannot handle them, but because the developers rarely develop launchers to get the games running on the platform.

Best option for you would e a double boot + 3rd partition for a backup of all your data. Believe me that is the best option, but listen to the other advice.

Otherwise, you can venture in the Wine / Games for linux territories, where you will struggles but eventually get your games to work, nether at optimal speed.

Sorry about the pessimistic post, but try Linux, you might love it. I love it myself!

gimcrack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gimcrack »

I truly hate Windows. But to a gamer like yourself, you should still use Windows for Windows base games. Have two hard drives, one set up for Windows games only using Windows XP as your OS. The other hard drive set up for your other computer usage, with a Linux OS of your choice.

It's hard to set up Linux to work with any or all Windows base games. Windows base games are primary for what it set up to be. And that's to run on a Windows OS.

There's VM, but I wouldn't run my Windows base games in it. Every gamer wants, the best performance a game can give. So that is to stick with Windows for Windows base games.

Or give up Windows period. Download Linux games only for a Linux machine, if you get a itch for Windows games. Use Wine, but only the games that run in Wine just fine. So you still can have fun using Linux as your primary OS.

Jeff91
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jeff91 »

Running Windows games under Linux can be difficult at best. I game a bit, not as hard core as I used to but I do load up L4D and TF2 every now and again, and I've been using only Linux for the last seven months or so. There are a good number of Games/Steam products that work well under Wine/Cedega but note you will see a drop in FPS. If all you are doing is gaming I would recommend keeping a Windows partition still.

~Jeff

RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RedWagon »

Pretty much any source game will run in Linux, TF2 (the game I play the most) and L4D have the most issues and take the biggest graphical hits. Ventrillo works fine, though it took a bit of work to get it running properly and the ESEA Client is rather glitchy and likes to die on me. Counter Strike, any HL2, and all the HL1 games (including CS 1.6) run flawlessly. I used to dual boot to play games, but once I got everything working alright in Linux I just got rid of Windows completely. Running these games in Linux takes a lot more work than Windows, but for me it's not a problem since I like to tinker around with stuff. I don't know about your other Steam games, but if you're intrested PM me or post back here and I can help you get your source games running. I would keep a Windows partition also until you get more comfortable with Linux.

Idaho Modder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Idaho Modder »

well this is my idae i have my windows xp on a ide hd that i want to stop using. and im building a new rig. i have a brand new 1T hd that i had windows 7 on but it crashed and corrupted all my files (thanks windows) so when i do my new build i was thinking of installing linux mint on the new sata drive and throwing my xp HD in a fire wire case. for running my games. will this work? or do i have to dual boot. the other thing is if i have too dual boot im going to have to buy a legit copy of windows and i dont want to give them my money. thanks for the help all.

gimcrack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gimcrack »

Idaho Modder An enclose HD case should work, but I would use 2.0 USB instead of firewire.

Most motherboards are set-up to boot from USB, eSata, firewire, & media drives.

I had problems setting a HD firewire encloser using Linux, so I switch to 2.0 USB and didn't had any problems.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

Have two hard drives, one set up for Windows games only using Windows XP as your OS.
& keep it off the 'net - you can.
&& if you can't - then disable the update feature, keeping to, just_as_installed.
so it can't be borked by those update(s).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Newbie Questions”