Sound and DVD burn glitches

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Sound and DVD burn glitches

Post by MrEen »

This is not something I've played with, so it make take a few tries to get it right, if it's going to work at all.

For starters, enter this in the terminal gksudo xed /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones.conf and when the file opens find this section:

Code: Select all

[Element Speaker+LO]
switch = off
volume = off
Change it to this:

Code: Select all

[Element Speaker+LO]
switch = mute
volume = merge
Save the file, ignore the warnings from the terminal, reboot and test the sound.

Be aware that at first, the Line will probably be muted. You can unmute it however you wish, and it will hopefully work. The amixer toggle command should be both quick and sufficient.

If there's still no difference, do the above again and change mute to on then save, reboot and test.
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

Yes, that worked. I now have 'phones working on both headphone and line outputs. I had to use alsamixer as you described. Must be progress!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Okay, I think we're just about all set.

If you change mute to on, I believe you'll have sound going through both outputs at all times.

There could be some finicky situations where you unplug something and the other doesn't behave right away. Or it could happen only when plugging something in. I believe all should be "fixable" via alsamixer now.

Play around with it some and see if there's a scenario where you don't like what's happening and I'll see if we can improve it even more.

It seems, your system was turning off the Line when Headphones were recognized, and not ever turning it back on. If you leave the setting to mute instead of on, I believe sound will play on the Line out port until headphones are plugged in, which will then mute the Line, but still be unmutable. When the headphones get unplugged, it should automatically unmute the Line.

Hope that all made sense.
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

Have changed to 'on', it's still working! Wow, that was a real mission, and many thanks for your patience.
Tony
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

Also, yes, thanks, I will use it for a bit and report back if there are any issues.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I'm happy to help!

I believe the reason your sound worked until it didn't might have something to do with the Card 0 Device 0 vs Card 0 Device 2 in some of your outputs. In fact, now that you've re-installed the sound base, let's see if dmesg | grep snd still reports Device 2. I'm somewhat expecting it still will, but at least we found a way around your issue.

One thing to make note of. If there's ever an update to the package that controls the files /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths, you may need to make the same change again. I presume it's PulseAudio that controls that, and I doubt we'll ever see any more updates on our old 8.0 version of it, but just wanted to make you aware.
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

Apologies, not looked here for weeks - getting on with life! Just a thought, I have a pc tower I can fit out from scratch. If I was to buy a mobo (used and cheap) what would be ideal for Mint? Where would I go for this info? I have googled and there's not a lot - most say check out each mobo, but given that they will work on one release and then not the next, I need to be sure I have good info. I don't need state of art. 10 year old is fine but it needs to gell with an available and supported release.

tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ dmesg | grep snd
[ 44.785969] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: autoconfig for ALC883: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:line
[ 44.785972] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[ 44.785975] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: hp_outs=1 (0x1b/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[ 44.785977] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: mono: mono_out=0x0
[ 44.785979] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: dig-out=0x1e/0x0
[ 44.785980] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: inputs:
[ 44.785983] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: Rear Mic=0x18
[ 44.785986] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: Front Mic=0x19
[ 44.785988] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: Line=0x1a
[ 44.785990] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: CD=0x1c
[ 48.566397] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: control 2:0:0:PCM Playback Volume:0 is already present
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I couldn't give you an answer for the mobo. I don't even know what my system is using (and yes, I could easily check, but it wouldn't mean much to me.) I'd suggest starting a new thread for that, so people that know that stuff will see it and hopefully reply.

Your output was as I suspected it would be. Most likely a BIOS issue, but at least it doesn't really matter now.

Good luck to you! :D
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

And Mr Een,
thank you again for your expert help and patience.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

You quite welcome. I'm glad we had some success! :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”