all videos crash

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Re: all videos crash

Post by trytip » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:05 am

well you are right about the oibaf ppa, wish i did not have to use it but then again there's no warning saying we don't recommend this ppa. it's a warning not unlike installing any ppa which is so called frowned upon. they do state please do not use this ppa, not because it is in fact a ppa but it is in fact not to be used, especially for a new user.

i'm guessing if the op installs the ppa he will need a kernel to fallback on and ultimately his choice to do anything to his system. hey look i'm not bashing on you pjotr and i do respect your linux knowledge, there were a few times that i noticed my system acting funny right after an update from the oibaf ppa which usually releases another update fix a few hours later. i'm hoping the op knows how to timeshift back if things get edgy.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:22 am

I think Fabio's PPA (oibaf) could do with a similar warning as well. Hell, his stuff is even riskier to use, because reverting a kernel upgrade is much easier (simply boot from the previous kernel in the Grub menu) than reverting back to stock from Fabio's software, especially when Fabio's software would break your entire graphics. :mrgreen:

I'm glad with both PPA's, though. As a matter of fact, I recently bought a Lenovo IdeaCentre 310S-08ASR with an AMD A6-9225 CPU. Needed both the 5.3 kernel from the Canonical Kernel Team PPA and the oibaf PPA to make it run halfway decently....

Still not satisfied, though, especially with the graphics performance. Might need an even newer kernel series. But I fear that only Ubuntu 20.04 / Mint 20 will bring full redemption for it. Oh well, that's the risk of buying very new hardware. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Pjotr on Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

DAMIEN1307
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:25 am

Hi trytip, Hopefully better than timeshift in this particular instance, i am hoping that OP newcomer to linux has not even attempted any use of the "oibaf ppa". It appears though that according to the OPs response, thankfully, he or she has instead opted to utilise the "fixes" offered by both Pjotr and myself in this particular instance and thus far, appears to have problems resolved at this point.

You usually have pretty good helpful advice to share and look forward in future to reading, and on occasion, trying out some of your suggestions...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:09 pm

this video crash is may go deeper than we think. in my nvidia experience i would use smplayer with vdpau support but vdpau had bad compatibility with the mplayer engine and upon double clicking the video to make it fullscreen i would get instant freeze (on certain .mkv and .mp4, never on .avi) and only reboot would bring it back. so i learned to use mpv engine with gpu output when using smplayer which i still do now with my ryzen

after a crash there is almost always an output in .xsession-errors.old if you had to reboot or in smplayer log under the view tab of the smplayer titlebar, but i must admit most of these errors go above my paygrade and rarely do i find a fix in the error output

also they tell us to make sure we have the latest firmware if we have new hardwarehttps://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git download, extract into /lib/firmware overwriting everything (i usually just dele everything in /lib/firmware and copy the extracted tar.gz) then updating it in terminal with sudo update-initramfs -u -k all which i just did and here's the output of my current kernels.

notice that only kernel 4.15 results in no errors regarding the amdgpu, so maybe try this kernel because the issue may not be the kernel at all but the video codecs or media players
mint03@mint03:~$ sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
[sudo] password for mint03:
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.3.5-050305-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/raven_kicker_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.0.0-31-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vega20_ta.bin for module amdgpu
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-65-generic
mint03@mint03:~$

Return to “Newbie Questions”