Multiple Mint repositories 'no longer signed'

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Pheeble
Level 2
Level 2

Multiple Mint repositories 'no longer signed'

Post by Pheeble » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:54 pm

I'm using Linux Mint Tara XFCE. This morning Mint Update produced an error, saying that the repository I was using for Tara main - 'http://mirror.internode.one.net/pub/linuxmint-packages' - was no longer signed.

After several failed attempts to update using that repository, I changed the Tara main to 'http://ucmirror.canterbury.ac.nz/linux/mint/packages', and the update then proceeded successfully. Now, about an hour later, I'm getting the same 'no longer signed' error with the new repository.

I have also tried 'http://packages.linuxmint.com' with the same error.

Any ideas? Has someone shipped unsigned Mint updates to all of the repositories?

Note that the same servers also host Ubuntu repositories, and the Ubuntu updates have not had any problem. This seems to be exclusively a Mint problem.

More info:
I checked Mint Update with a laptop running Linux Mint Tina Mate, and that updated without any issue. So this seems to narrow the problem down to Mint Tara. Can anyone else running Tara check if they are having the same problem?

P.S. Questions for the moderators:
1 Why was this question moved from 'Software' to 'Newbies'? I'm not a newbie, the question was about software repositories so 'Software' is the correct category, and I don't see any connection to 'Newbies'.
2. Why was the question title changed from 'Multiple Mint repositories 'no longer signed' to 'failed to download repository information'. The problem I reported is exactly about Mint Update reporting repositories no longer signed, and has nothing to do with a failure to download repository information.
Last edited by Pheeble on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sleeper12
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Multiple Mint repositories 'no longer signed'

Post by sleeper12 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:54 pm

I have the same problem on Mint 19 Tara, every repo says no longer signed. I can't change mirrors at all since the same error comes up. I was getting another error 'your apt cache is corrupted', but that seems to have stopped. In Software Sources, Authentication keys, I see 'Totally Legit Signing Key <mallory@example.org>. No idea what that is or if it's related to this problem. What to do :?:

dossc
Level 1
Level 1

failed to download repository information

Post by dossc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:33 pm

E:The repository 'http://mirrors.gigenet.com/linuxmint/repo tara Release' is not signed.

any idea on this?

Omega Dark Mage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omega Dark Mage » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:42 am

Same issue here, I stayed with tara since it just works and didn't really need to be updated to tina but right now I'm hoping this issue gets resolved soon since it's a tad annoying.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:13 am

NOTE: this issue, has been raised, with the Forum. Administration team.

NB: any similar post(s) may get merged, into this Topic.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:00 am

Pheeble wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:54 pm
So this seems to narrow the problem down to Mint Tara. Can anyone else running Tara check if they are having the same problem?
Yes, the tara repo is not signed, the Release.gpg file is missing (and Mint doesn't do the standard InRelease anyway):
http://packages.linuxmint.com/dists/tara/
sleeper12 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:54 pm
In Software Sources, Authentication keys, I see 'Totally Legit Signing Key <mallory@example.org>. No idea what that is or if it's related to this problem. What to do :?:
Remove that key for it's a fake. It's unrelated to the issue here though.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

ytene
Level 3
Level 3

Update Manager Reporting A Repository Index Issue

Post by ytene » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:56 am

Hello everyone...

Very sorry if I am reporting a duplicate issue... I am not sure if this is either a serious issue, or whether this is merely a transitory problem, but last night and again this morning I am seeing an error when I try to use Update Manager. Specifically, I get a *synaptic* pop-up dialogue box, which reads,

"Could not download all repository indexes

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available, an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise, the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address is correct in 'Repositories' under 'Settings'.

The repository 'http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/pack ... m/packages tara Release' is no longer signed."

I've checked the integrity of my /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ folder contents and the files have not been edited since September last year .

It looks as though we might have a problem with the service that provides upstream ubuntu packages, but that's just a guess. I suspect the correct action to take is nothing and to wait for this to be investigated and hopefully resolved.

Thank you

xGuy
Level 2
Level 2

Re: failed to download repository information

Post by xGuy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:26 am

I am getting similar messages when I click on Refresh in the Update Manager - using Mint 19.

Could not download all repository indexes

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available, an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise, the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address is correct in 'Repositories' under 'Settings'.

The repository 'http://packages.linuxmint.com tara Release' is no longer signed.

However a list of available updates does appear and some have Origin Linux Mint / tara. Others are from Ubuntu / bionic-updates and Ubuntu / bionic-security.

I've not tried applying any of them.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:38 am

Solution: While in Update Manager, click on edit then Software Sources and change Mirrors.

bilecimint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Update Manager Reporting A Repository Index Issue

Post by bilecimint » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:52 am

I am getting a similar error - The repository 'http://packages.linuxmint.com tara Release' is no longer signed. It started yesterday 14-Oct-2019

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:12 am

Larry78723 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:38 am
Solution: While in Update Manager, click on edit then Software Sources and change Mirrors.
That's no solution, that's just hoping for an outdated mirror. The tara repo is currently not signed, so the only real solution is for Clem to fix it.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:19 am

gm10, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:28 am

The issue has been fixed now. If you're still experiencing it, either wait for the fix to reach your mirror or open Software Sources and click to "Restore the default settings" to stop using a mirror.

sleeper12
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sleeper12 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:13 am

Clicking 'Restore the default settings' fixed it for me today. The Mirrors haven't caught up yet though.

gm10, thanks for the heads up on that Totally Legit key thing. I thought it was odd, but didn't want to remove it until I was sure. Gone now.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:18 am

sleeper12 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:13 am
gm10, thanks for the heads up on that Totally Legit key thing. I thought it was odd, but didn't want to remove it until I was sure. Gone now.
You likely had that for a while. There was a security flaw in the Software Sources app that I fixed last year where it would retrieve duped keys because it wasn't comparing the full fingerprint.

sleeper12
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sleeper12 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:41 am

gm10 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:18 am
sleeper12 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:13 am
You likely had that for a while. There was a security flaw in the Software Sources app that I fixed last year where it would retrieve duped keys because it wasn't comparing the full fingerprint.
Probably, I just happened to notice it now. Should I be concerned about any problems from that?

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:07 pm

sleeper12 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:41 am
Probably, I just happened to notice it now. Should I be concerned about any problems from that?
Possible, but unlikely. Depends on your individual case.

Interestingly I see the forum thread I had linked in my pull request back then had been deleted by the mods, guess they didn't want the vulnerability to be discussed. Wrong approach IMHO.

sleeper12
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sleeper12 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:25 pm

gm10 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:07 pm
sleeper12 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:41 am
Possible, but unlikely. Depends on your individual case.

Interestingly I see the forum thread I had linked in my pull request back then had been deleted by the mods, guess they didn't want the vulnerability to be discussed. Wrong approach IMHO.
OK, I'll just have to hope no problems arise then. :roll: Thanks.

Portisheadradio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Portisheadradio » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:10 pm

Before I read this post I was trying to get my update manager to work like everyone else i guess and i set one line that i thought might be an issue to 'ignore'.

Now I'd like to cancel that setting but don't know how to do it and the line is missing from the list of updates.

Anyone know how I can un-ignore it and restore the program to the list?

Thanks

Linux Mint 18.1 Cinamon ver 3 2 7

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:52 pm

Portisheadradio wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:10 pm
Before I read this post I was trying to get my update manager to work like everyone else i guess and i set one line that i thought might be an issue to 'ignore'.

Now I'd like to cancel that setting but don't know how to do it and the line is missing from the list of updates.

Anyone know how I can un-ignore it and restore the program to the list?

Thanks

Linux Mint 18.1 Cinamon ver 3 2 7
Please create your own threads for your own issues instead of posting in entirely unrelated threads. Also Update Manager > Preferences > Blacklist

Return to “Newbie Questions”