Create, make your own customize, personalized linux mint installator?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tnimxunil22
Level 1
Level 1

Create, make your own customize, personalized linux mint installator?

Post by tnimxunil22 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:28 am

I was wondering, if it's possible(easy and not time consuming) for normal PC user to somehow create his own personalized linux mint installation image already with all custom settings and per-installed software?

(I was not sure into which forum section put this question, so please move it to appropriate one if necessary)
Last edited by tnimxunil22 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Create, make your own customize, personalized linux mint?

Post by catweazel » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:44 am

tnimxunil22 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:28 am
I was wondering, if it's possible(easy and not time consuming) for normal PC user to somehow create his own personalized linux mint installation image already with all custom settings and per-installed software?
That's why we have disk imaging software, such as clonezilla. Still: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... tomization
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

tnimxunil22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tnimxunil22 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:09 am

catweazel wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:44 am
That's why we have disk imaging software, such as clonezilla.
I don't understand what you mean.

I will try to understand the things in the link you gave and give it a try if that's the only way.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:12 am

tnimxunil22 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:09 am
catweazel wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:44 am
That's why we have disk imaging software, such as clonezilla.
I don't understand what you mean.
Once your system is set up just as you want it, you take a disk image using a disk imaging tool. You can then restore that image to other machines provided their hard disk is at least the same size as the disk on the machine that the image came from.

https://clonezilla.org/
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

tnimxunil22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tnimxunil22 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:28 am

catweazel wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:12 am
You can then restore that image to other machines provided their hard disk is at least the same size as the disk on the machine that the image came from.
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm getting it. You mean to "put" those files to destined PC new partition for that purpose and then somehow install grub and set it up?
And won't there be some problems with drivers and other config files that I guess are different depending on the machine?

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:19 am

Clonezilla is a "photocopy" of your computer's system. The beauty of Linux, is that it is so portable that it can be transferred between machines without any real issues. I've even transferred an SSD that was installed in a TOSHIBA INTEL laptop (low powered) to my Server which is Running an AMD quad core processor and nVidea grapics without need to "adjust" anything. I just plugged it in and it booted right up.

It's not something that I recommend, however, mainly because I was a long time M$ user from the earliest days of DOS.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

tnimxunil22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tnimxunil22 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:48 am

lsemmens wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:19 am
...can be transferred...
I am not interested in transferring but installing.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:17 pm

Then all you need do is boot from your live cd/usb and do so. What's the problem?
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:34 pm

It's possible, not easy, but I guess that depends on how one defines easy/hard, and it is time consuming.

However, you could write a customization script that could be run after a fresh install and it would do all the work easily. That's probably what most users do that want this kind of personalization. Also, it translates to each new version with little or no editing, this way the time and effort spent is not lost in some version that keeps getting older and older. So, you install whatever Mint version, plug in a usb stick with the customization script, or pull it from github or some cloud storage where you have stored the script, then run it and go get an ice cream.

Otherwise, dig in. Get into the deep details of remastering an iso. There are some utility programs that make it "easier" and "less time consuming", but yea. ;)

tnimxunil22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tnimxunil22 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:48 am

@edited the topic name to be more precise
zcot wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:34 pm
However, you could write a customization script that could be run after a fresh install and it would do all the work easily.
Funny thing because it also came to my mind today and just wanted to write question about it. Thanks.
So but I still don't know where to search for such kind of knowledge, like what is this scripting, what language, etc.?
zcot wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:34 pm
Otherwise, dig in. Get into the deep details of remastering an iso. There are some utility programs that make it "easier" and "less time consuming", but yea. ;)
And yes, I did also some searching and found that there were couple of programs but didn't know which one could be better especially maybe there are some better ones for mint?
And for the side of digging into manual remastering I guess also I should just "google" it?

Return to “Newbie Questions”