How to reinstall MInt's XFCE on my LinuxMint 19.2

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rohitkav123
Level 1
Level 1

How to reinstall MInt's XFCE on my LinuxMint 19.2

Post by rohitkav123 »

Hi friends,

I have LinuxMint 19.2 on my desktop. It had XFCE but got corrupted. I installed Cinnamon on top of it. I just wanted my Mint's XFCE back. Kindly suggest how to uninstall everything of older mint's xfce and reinstall a fresh mint's xfce Desktop environment. System is working fine though. Just wanted to get back a proper mint's xfce DE
Kindly help
HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to reinstall MInt's XFCE on my LinuxMint 19.2

Post by HaveaMint »

Since it is still working probably the easiest way will be to backup your important files to an external device and re-install xfce. It will be easier than trying to repair the mess you have..
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

rohitkav123 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:40 am
I have LinuxMint 19.2 on my desktop. It had XFCE but got corrupted.
Are you sure that you really corrupted the systemwide xfce software?
Or did you merely corrupt your personal xfce settings beyong repair?
In the latter case, you could log in to Cinnamon and delete all personal xfce related settings files and directories.
After having done so, you log off from Cinnamon.
In the login screen you select xfce and log in.
You will then see whether xfce comes up properly again, using default settings as if it had never been used before.

In order to determine whether the xfce software is still ok,
+ create a second user account
+ log off from Cinnamon
+ in the login screen select the new user and select xfce as the desktop, then log in
+ you should quickly see whether the xfce works correctly for the second user
+ in case it does, you can reset your own first account's xfce configuration as explained above.

Note:
In the case where you have only corrupted your personal xfce configuration, re-installing the xfce software will not solve the issue, because re-installing the xfce software does not return your corrupted personal xfce configuration to function default settings.

In case where you have really corrupted the xfce software by uninstalling relevant components e.g., re-installing xfce might work.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --reinstall install mint-meta-xfce
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
rohitkav123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rohitkav123 »

karlchen wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:07 am
rohitkav123 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:40 am
I have LinuxMint 19.2 on my desktop. It had XFCE but got corrupted.
Are you sure that you really corrupted the systemwide xfce software?
Or did you merely corrupt our personal xfce settings beyong repair?
In the latter case, you could log in to Cinnamon and delete all personal xfce related settings files and directories.
After having done so, you log off from Cinnamon.
In the login screen you select xfce and log in.
You will then see whether xfce comes up properly again, using default settings as if it had never been used before.

In order to determine whether the xfce software is still ok,
+ create a second user account
+ log off from Cinnamon
+ in the login screen select the new user and select xfce as the desktop, then log in
+ you should quickly see whether the xfce works correctly for the second user
+ in case it does, you can reset your own first account's xfce configuration as explained above.

Note:
In the case where you have only corrupted your personal xfce configuration, re-installing the xfce software will not solve the issue, because re-installing the xfce software does not return your corrupted personal xfce configuration to function default settings.

In case where you have really corrupted the xfce software by uninstalling relevant components e.g., re-installing xfce might work.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --reinstall install mint-meta-xfce
I have created new user account and XFCE in that was working great. Hence I thought probably the one I'm using got some issues and just needed a reinstall.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

As xfce works fine for the new user, the xfce software is ok. No need to re-install. No use re-installing.
The problem is all inside your first user's profile. You remove the existing xfce configuration inside your first user's profile. That' it.
Cannot give you the details right now, because looking them up is pretty impossible while being logged in on Windows 7. :wink:
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
rohitkav123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rohitkav123 »

karlchen wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:29 am
As xfce works fine for the new user, the xfce software is ok. No need to re-install. No use re-installing.
The problem is all inside your first user's profile. You remove the existing xfce configuration inside your first user's profile. That' it.
Cannot give you the details right now, because looking them up is pretty impossible while being logged in on Windows 7. :wink:
When free do let me know how to do it though. I'm not sure of how to do that still. Was checking older answers. Is this the way viewtopic.php?t=122332 But yeah if you got some docs kindly point it out.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, rohitkav123.

Right, it might be as simple as explained by xenopeek in the thread to which you linked, viewtopic.php?t=122332.
By they way, I do not have any non-public documents, only some Mint xfce systems where I would have looked up the exact pathname(s).
But at the moment, I do not have access to any of them. But you should be safe trusting xenopeek's words.

Karl
rohitkav123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rohitkav123 »

karlchen wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:45 am
Hi, rohitkav123.

Right, it might be as simple as explained by xenopeek in the thread to which you linked, viewtopic.php?t=122332.
By they way, I do not have any non-public documents, only some Mint xfce systems where I would have looked up the exact pathname(s).
But at the moment, I do not have access to any of them. But you should be safe trusting xenopeek's words.

Karl
I think I got it working. I just followed this https://askubuntu.com/questions/451847/ ... he-desktop

Thank you though.

Thank you all guys. It's working fine now.

Return to “Newbie Questions”