Freezes, stuttering youtube vids and blinking capslock.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emtor

Freezes, stuttering youtube vids and blinking capslock.

Post by emtor »

HP Pavilion laptop, Mint 18.1, AMD CPU, Radeon GPU.
Cursor freezes from time to time, when this happens the fan revs up a bit and mouse/keyboard becomes inactive. Recovering after a few seconds.
Youtube vids: Starts fine, sometimes OK for several minutes then video halts, starts to stutter and the fan revs up to full speed.
CPU shoots up to 100%, temp rises to 85 degrees (180 deg.F).
Sometimes the system recovers, sometimes not. Computer freezes and capslock starts blinking steadily.
In recovery mode everything works well,-no problems.

The laptop came with Win 10. Same problems there only 10 times worse. OK in safe mode.

Checkbox reports no problems,-same with the HP diagnostic tool, this leads me to believe that hardware is OK.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Freezes, stuttering youtube vids and blinking capslock.

Post by gittiest personITW »

Hi,
At a guess, if its happening in two different operating systems on the same hardware, then the hardware, or the BIOS settings are at fault.
First thing I would try is vacuuming out the vents to the laptop - or if you have some to hand, some canned air - do this outside as you'll be surprised the amount of dust that comes shooting out.

If that doesn't do anything, the next thing would be a BIOS update.
This can go wrong occassionally so make sure all your important stuff is backed up to at least 1 external drive before doing this.
You'll have to look for instructions on the manufacturers website as to what to download and how to get BIOS to update. Different systems have different ways, some can be done within Windows for instance - but if it freezes up while you're doing a BIOS update the chances are your computer will be an expensive paperweight afterwards.
emtor

Re: Freezes, stuttering youtube vids and blinking capslock.

Post by emtor »

Thanks for answering . . .

Laptop is clean as a whistle inside.

I've been thinking along the same lines as you . . . two OS's, same fault (not quite the same but similar),-must be hardware.
But that arises another suspicion . . . One can't trust the techs at HP since I sent it in for servicing and they found no faults,- the HP test utility which says no faults and Linux's Checkbox utility.

But . . . Win 10 worked fine in safe mode as does Linux in recovery mode, but then again, hardware may behave well until put under stress.

I'll look into how to update the BIOS in Linux which is the only OS running on this machine . . .

Is there a way to enable drivers (temporarily) one by one in recovery mode to see when the problems reappear?

Return to “Beginner Questions”