[SOLVED] Did I wreck my OS?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sask
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Did I wreck my OS?

Post by sask » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Ok I have been using Mint for a while now however have not been learning anything new as I have been diverted to numerous other tasks, I was just happy that I had a stable operating system that worked for me. Recently however I am receiving all sorts of message when updating through the update manager. This started after I tried to install Snap on my system. When installing Snap I first entered the following commands in the terminal:

apt update

apt upgrade -y

apt install snapd

After this I am receiving the following messages after an update, I am hoping someone can advise me of the the damage I may have done?

W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_CA) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_CA) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_CA) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:5
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:5
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:5
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_CA) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:5
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:5
Last edited by Moem on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you; please note that you can and should do this for your own topics. Thanks!

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Did I wreck my OS?

Post by Pierre » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 pm

you didn't mention, just which version of the LinuxMint system, that you were using !.

is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1
and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3

that's part of your error.

what you can do, is to reset the LM repository, back to it's default(s)
from Update Manager, that is on the Taskbar:
- Edit - Software Sources.
then, on the Official Repositories Tab, at the bottom of that Tab:
- click on the Icon marked as "Restore the default settings"
then on the Top Right corner of that Tab:
- click on the Icon that now says " Update Cache".
finally, close the Update Manager.

then wait, to see if there is any extra files, to be downloaded / updated.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

sask
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sask » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:00 pm

Thanks so much for your reply Pierre. I did as you suggested and the following error popped up after hitting "update cache" This has a strange error at the end?

W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_CA) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_CA) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:3
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_CA) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:4
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:5
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:5
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:5
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_CA) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:5
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list:5
W: http://repo.acestream.org/ubuntu/dists/trusty/InRelease: Signature by key E1254F21D636B7EFDE41D2AF50E2BCF0E3805CD8 uses weak digest algorithm (SHA1)

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:08 am

that package is marked as version: trusty maybe that's fine though, depends on what Mint version you're running, but even in any case sometimes ppa's are not always compliant.

Anyway, you can manually edit that file and clean out the duplicate entry.

Maybe you want to create a backup of the file in the first place, in case you're unsure. terminal command:

Code: Select all

sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list.bak
Then you can edit the original file:

xed admin:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
-there's likely at least 2 lines that are the same and there should not be. So, take one or more lines out. Save. Actually you can completely empty that file, erase it, delete it. It holds "additional" repository info such as various ppa's that have been added. Obviously if you have added a lot of ppa's and are potentially getting regular updates from those repositories for whatever software it provides then you wouldn't want to erase it. Also, as Pierre mentions, using Software Sources, you can also look in the sections for PPA's and you guessed it, "Additional repositories", and sometimes those infos can be listed in this additional-repositories.list file. But sometimes certain ppa's use their own ".list" file(which is not relevant in your case since the problem is only in that file). Anyway, you open that file and see if you can manually correct it, or otherwise you can paste the contents here to show us what it looks like and someone can give advice from there.

If you mess up editing that file, then you can reverse with these two commands:

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list.bak /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
btw, you did not wreck the system, and also, it did not happen related to the commands you mentioned.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:12 am

If you're running Mint 19.2 (you still haven't told us what you're running; I'm the third person to mention that. Yes, that's a hint) then you can find a very handy button on the Maintenance tab of the Software Sources window. It's marked 'Remove duplicate entries'.
duplicate.png

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

sask
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sask » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks so much for the replies, it is much appreciated and I am sorry for not mentioning my version, it is 18.1.

Concerning manually editing the file and cleaning out the duplicate entry, well that failed. I received a console message:

** (xed:31493): WARNING **: The specified location is not supported

And XED popped up saying "it cannot handle admin: locations"

Also since I am not yet on 19.2 I do not have the option to remove duplicate entries.

However I did navigate to Software Sources and Additional Repositories and I saw about 5 wine repositories there and I removed them all. I forgot to mention this but I tried to install a newer version of wine (since the one in the software manager is too old) and I think something went wrong there. After this I tried to update the cache but for some reason I lost internet connection and then i panicked. So i used Timeshift to go back to an earlier time when my system was stable. My internet connection is back and after trying another update I have the following error:

W: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... 2_i386.deb
404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.162 80]

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:53 pm

sask wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:10 am
Thanks so much for the replies, it is much appreciated and I am sorry for not mentioning my version, it is 18.1.

Concerning manually editing the file and cleaning out the duplicate entry, well that failed. I received a console message:

** (xed:31493): WARNING **: The specified location is not supported

And XED popped up saying "it cannot handle admin: locations"
Ok, Mint 18.x is still using gksudo methodology so command is:

gksudo xed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list

sask
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sask » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks zcot, may I ask what should happen after this? The good news is that after entering the new command of

gksudo xed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list

I am asked to enter my admin password and after that XED opens up and has a red stripe at the top indicating "Elevated Privileges" with a tab opened titled
"additional repositories"

The second command of

xed admin:///etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list

Does not do anything. Perhaps I don't understand enough about what I am doing, is there a guide or something that I should read up on? If this was windows I would try to roll back my OS to an earlier time when all was working however that did not work with Timeshift.

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:13 am

Opening the system file "additional repositories" should potentially show you the duplicate entries that were causing the problem, and where you could try to correct that. If there is nothing in that file now that you have unchecked the wine ppa then there is nothing to do there.

But after using timeshift, it possibly removed any of those wine duplicate entries anyway.

And the "second command" using the admin:/ gvfs file path is not relevant on Mint 18.x systems.

The "Failed to fetch" error is due to that package not being available any more, as the version is now 2.3 instead of 2.2.

In Update Manager you can find that libibus update and uncheck it, then do updates.

sask
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sask » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:09 pm

Ok I followed your advice and it is updating without any errors now, thank you very much for your patience.

Return to “Newbie Questions”