gzip: stdout: no space left on the device <SOLVED>

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
larrypoynor
Level 1
Level 1

gzip: stdout: no space left on the device <SOLVED>

Post by larrypoynor »

I have mate 19.2 0n a USB flash drive.....when I do an update now ....It down loads and when it gets to the part that says configuring the kernel I get the message that says something about an error and to check details.....gzip: stdout: no space left on the device.....I ran the disk usage analyzer
Total filesystem capacity 100% 245.4 GB Total filesystem usage 11 % 27 GB

Does anybody this problem? and how to fix?
Thanks.....Crazy Larry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: gzip: stdout: no space left on the device

Post by karlchen »

Hi, larrypoynor.

This error message already explains the root cause gzip: stdout: no space left on the device
This means,
+ if /boot is on a separate filesystem then it is full. No space left to write anything.
+ if /boot is on the root filesystem /, then the root filesystem is full. No space left to write anything.

Please, post the output of the terminal command df -h | grep "^/dev/". This will tell us which filesystem is full, /boot or /. Knowing so will help us point you to the right way of resolving the root cause.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Karl, I've never heard of or seen a 245.4 GB Flash Drive, have you?
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Larry78723.

I am currently running my OS here from a 128 GB microSD card. ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: AGICF size: 119.08 GiB
There are also 256 GB microSD cards (net capacity might be roughly 245 GB).
There are USB pendrives having 128 GB, there are also USB pendrive having 256 GB. There are even larger pendrives than this. Of course, such pendrives are not really cheap, unless you buy some fake ones (but these won't work).
Here is a link to a 256 GB pendrive, Sandisk, offered by a German store. (No advertizing intended, just a quick shot to illustrate they do exist. ;-))

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
larrypoynor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by larrypoynor »

Karl....Here are the results

Code: Select all

/dev/sdb2        14G  9.7G  3.4G  75% /
/dev/sdb1       473M  443M  6.1M  99% /boot
/dev/sdb3       215G   16G  189G   8% /home
Thanks....
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

larrypoynor wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:11 pm /dev/sdb1 473M 443M 6.1M 99% /boot
Well, there we have it. Could there be old kernels taking up space in there? If so, you can easily remove them using the Update Manager => View => Linux kernel => Remove old kernels.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
larrypoynor
Level 1
Level 1

Re: gzip: stdout: no space left on the device <SOLVED>

Post by larrypoynor »

Thanks Moem........ that did the trick

Crazy Larry

Return to “Beginner Questions”