LM 19.1 Cinnamon DE not loading after mintinstall froze

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
stepnjump
Level 1
Level 1

LM 19.1 Cinnamon DE not loading after mintinstall froze

Post by stepnjump » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:12 pm

Hi guys,

Up until this morning, I really enjoyed the 19.1 Cinnamon version. Was running super smooth on my OLD core-2 duo machine (though I upgraded the CPU to a Quad and boosted the RAM to 16 GB).
My system broke down for the first time since Tessa came about. i never had so few problems and it was so stable compared to the previous versions.
When I rebooted, I saw four or five lines of errors that showed up on my white and black screen but I didn't write them down unfortunately.

Here is what happened before that:
Being a conservative kind-of-guy, my FHS was originally configured the old way (/var, /opt, etc. all on separate partitions).

First thing I did yesterday before attempting to reboot was to delete some cache files from the /var/tmp area. I had over 4 GB of flatpak caches in there. I had about 10 files ranging from September to October. I cd to /var/tmp and then rm -rf flatpak-cache-xyz, one folder at a time. I don't think that's what killed it (however, maybe some flatpak applications were still running at the time.. maybe I didn't close them all as I should have done???)

After that I attempted to install MC (midnight commander) using mintinstall. For the first time in over a year, mintinstall misbehaved. It asked me if I wanted to install some dependencies, to which I agreed. It is possible it asked me if it was ok to remove some packages but honnestly, I didn't take the time to read what it said. I just accepted whatever it wanted to do. Then the progress bar stood still at around 10% or so.. I knew it wasn't a good idea to get out of there but what else could I do? It had been 10 minutes. I knew it wasn't going anywhere... I had to get out of mintinstall.

Now I'm back in a circa 1991 Linuxbox (in those years when I was using slackware when GNU was still in it's infancy) LM is prompting me to log in a non-graphical interface (bash-like environment). Cinnamon isn,t loading at all.

I don't think these problems have to do with erasing some old flatpak-cache directories but who knows... it might... that's why I decided i would let you guys know anyway (just in case).

Does anyone might have any suggestions as to what I should do at this point?
In the next few days, I will post some of my error logs in the hope it might help out in any way.

I really don't have time to reinstall everything right now! It was working so well.. gosh!!!
Wished I had taken the time to install timeshift! :( Always running out of HDD space!

Thanks a lot guys in advance for trying to help out.

step

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Re: LM 19.1 Cinnamon DE not loading after mintinstall froze

Post by Larry78723 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:28 pm

You can try this: when you get to that tty login, go ahead and log in. At the command prompt, enter startx and see if it gets you to the desktop.

stepnjump
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stepnjump » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Wow Larry... Thank you. Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly!
It worked. However, when I reboot, it always prompts me to log in at the bash level still.
I guess it had to do with the midnight commander. I tried to execute it from the alacarte menu and it froze my system. I didn't even have access to my mouse until I rebooted.
When I invoked it from the terminal, it worked but again after a few minutes, it froze the computer again, so I apt-get autoremoved it and now the system seems to be pretty stable.
Any idea what might have happened?
Is it a problem for me to keep logging on to my computer the old way (startx)? It's such a small hindrance that I don't really care. The important thing is my computer is up and running!

Thank you a million my friend. :D :D :D :) :D :o
Larry78723 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:28 pm
You can try this: when you get to that tty login, go ahead and log in. At the command prompt, enter startx and see if it gets you to the desktop.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Someone else will have to guide you back to a graphical login, that fix is beyond my knowledge. No problem to keep logging in that way. Glad I got you back into your machine.

Be well friend,
Larry

Return to “Newbie Questions”