Uninstalling Network manager in linux mint sylvia cannot boot into linux mint 18.3 and grub rescue menu appears.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Uninstalling Network manager in linux mint sylvia cannot boot into linux mint 18.3 and grub rescue menu appears.

Post by alza68 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:22 am

My network manager in Linux mint Sylvia automatically disconnects often from my Hot spot and as there are no options to reconnect other than rebooting the computer; turned to be rather an annoyance :evil: .

Whilst traversing through the internet came across the network named WICD and decided to install the same. Had installed the WICD network through Synaptic package manager which operated duly. But when the hot spot disconnected again I could not reconnect using WICD network as the default Network Manager controlled the establishment of internet connection.

I did uninstall Network manager through Synaptic package manager. Where a prompt appeared to reboot the computer. I then rebooted the same which ---> passed the grub menu ---> into mint 18.3 ---> passed the mint logo ---> into a black screen with a steady cursor (Non Blinking). It could not enter into the
desktop.

I strived to retrieve the terminal by pressing Ctrl+ Alt+ T nothing evolved, then tried to shut the computer through my new key combination Ctrl+Super+ U, neither it returned the shut down menu.

After several futile attempts to retrieve the OS through any measures :oops: , depressed the power switch to shut down. On restarting the computer, am taken stright to a menu something called grub rescue.... :( Neither can I enter into any operating system nor Can I reinstall linux mint 18.3 via a USB pen drive either. :(

Currently am marooned on an island awaiting any ship to pass by for rescue :roll: . Any help :idea: or steps to enter into my operating linux 18.3 system will be greatly appreciated.

No logs or information cannot be retrieved as I cannot enter into the operating system in any way likely.

alza68

P.S
Laptop Details
MotherBoard: HP pavillion DV 6838NR
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
T7700 @ 2.40GH
Memory: 2*2Gb memory cards DDR2
Bios Version: F59. 11/25/2008
Sound device card: Real Tech High Definition Audio
Video Card: Mobile intel(R) 965 Express chipset family
OS2: Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 2002 Service pack 3
OS1: Linux mint sylvia 18.3

alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Uninstalling Network manager in linux mint sylvia cannot boot into linux mint 18.3 and grub rescue menu appears.

Post by alza68 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:42 am

Did I breach the forum norms or requisite or did I present in the wrong forum? Either way some directions would be helpful if that was the reason for no response. :roll:

Thank you
alza68

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Uninstalling Network manager in linux mint sylvia cannot boot into linux mint 18.3 and grub rescue menu appears.

Post by smurphos » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:32 am

So you can't boot a 18.3 Live Session from USB? What happens when you try?

My suggestion assuming you had a pre-removal of Network Manager Timeshift snapshot would have been to boot a Live Session and then use Timeshioft from the live session to attempt to restore the system. If no Timeshift snapshot, then boot into a live session, rescue any important personal data not backed up and reinstall.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:28 am

alza68 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:42 am
Did I breach the forum norms or requisite or did I present in the wrong forum?
Neither. It's just that people are often busy during weekends, and time zones may not help either (many of our users are in Europe). Furthermore this is not a common problem.
Good luck and welcome to the Linux Mint forum!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:05 am

In grub get into recovery menu choose option to run fsck. After that rebootvand test.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:11 am

alza68 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:22 am
My network manager in Linux mint Sylvia automatically disconnects often from my Hot spot and as there are no options to reconnect other than rebooting the computer; turned to be rather an annoyance
Try restarting the network manager instead of rebooting. My Mint 18.3 sometimes boots to no wifi, so I run this 'netfix' script (it'll ask for your password):
$ cat ~/bin/netfix

Code: Select all

# systemctl status  NetworkManager.service
#
# for network manager:
systemctl restart  NetworkManager.service
#
# For wicd:
# systemctl restart wicd.service
As far as the booting problem, I'd guess you uninstalled something in addition to NetworkManager, dunno what else to say.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

JOPETA
Level 15
Level 15

Post by JOPETA » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:38 pm

I think there are two different problems. The first one due to removing network manager and/or its dependencies and the second one due to the way you powered off the PC.

It is needed to solve the second one first. The grub rescue> prompt suggest you need to make a file system checking and repair if needed. It is possible you can not see GRUB menu to do as deepakdeshp recommended. and maybe it is possible to run fsck from that grub rescue> prompt but I think it is better you try it from a terminal (or gparted) in a live session.

Also, if you can mount Linux Mint partition from that Live session (perhaps only with read permission if you don't check the file system first), do as smurphos suggest in order to save your personal data.

Then try checking with sudo fsck /dev/sdxy where sdxy need to be replace in the code with the Llinux Mint partition (i.e sda1 or sda2,..) as given by sudo fdisk -l. If get error post back that code result.

After checking/repairing the files system, try booting from Mint installed but the first problem maybe is still there. Then you can try GRUB menu>Advanced options with an older kernel and/or recovery mode. In the recovery menu ( as you don't need to run fsck again) consider another options as failsafeX or dkpg.

Other option or reinstalling something in the root terminal will need a working internet connection. Because of this, there will be an option (network) to enable networking in the recovery menu or can try Flemur's proposal. There is no such script in LM 19.1 but you can try those codes (.i.e sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service or sudo systemctl restart wicd.service.).

If you can not get a working internet connection, then restoring the system with Timeshift or a clean reinstall are good choices as smurphos proposed. :roll:
Last edited by JOPETA on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:42 am, edited 10 times in total.
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)

alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alza68 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:12 am

So you can't boot a 18.3 Live Session from USB? What happens when you try?

My suggestion assuming you had a pre-removal of Network Manager Timeshift snapshot would have been to boot a Live Session and then use Timeshioft from the live session to attempt to restore the system. If no Timeshift snapshot, then boot into a live session, rescue any important personal data not backed up and reinstall.
Yep! On booting after the Bios screen It is taken straight to the Grub rescue menu and bypassing the Linux Mint installation USB pen drive, although it is the USB hard disk is the first option on the BIOS boot menu preference. I could however get windows xp USB installation files recognized and repaired the boot menu. I can currently enter only into windows now.

How do you use the time shift snap shots whilst using linux installation USB drive?? What are the commands to restore etc??? As I am a newbie, these little information is vital.

Thank you
alza68

alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alza68 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:29 am

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:05 am
In grub get into recovery menu choose option to run fsck. After that rebootvand test.
I am afraid, could no load into GRUB menu but directly transferred to GRUB rescue menu. By the way where does the recovery menu in Grub reside? Was it in advance options or by pressing the E switch in grub? Am a bit new to Grub ambiance any information or help regarding this is well received. A little spoon feeding is rather beneficial for debut user like me.

Thank you
alza68

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:55 am

By grub recovery menu I meant advance options.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alza68 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:02 pm

Flemur wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:11 am
alza68 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:22 am
My network manager in Linux mint Sylvia automatically disconnects often from my Hot spot and as there are no options to reconnect other than rebooting the computer; turned to be rather an annoyance
Try restarting the network manager instead of rebooting. My Mint 18.3 sometimes boots to no wifi, so I run this 'netfix' script (it'll ask for your password):
$ cat ~/bin/netfix

# systemctl status  NetworkManager.service
#
# for network manager:
systemctl restart  NetworkManager.service
#
# For wicd:
# systemctl restart wicd.service
As far as the booting problem, I'd guess you uninstalled something in addition to NetworkManager, dunno what else to say.
I am afraid having searched extensively for a amicable solution on the internet and google, Indeed, in mint forum too. I could not come across a solution such as this. The available solution was to install WICD network manager as per advice in the mint forum, the WICD manager was more appealing on installation but could not have it recognized by the Cinnamon OS and lack the expertise.

Whatever solution available on the internet is often practiced before being discarded as several does resolve the issues at hand. Occasionally, some may lead you to its doom. As rebooting the OS turned to be an annoyance for default network manager, decided to try the same. Unfortunately, the information you presented came a bit late, am striving to revive back into the OS Mint cinnamon. My shortcoming is the lack of expertise to revert to previous state. A little spoon feeding is necessary to revert to my previous state, although I may lose several settings and installation of programs :(. It took a while to install them and could not remember each step.

It is rather offending to install some programs like java etc along with other applications as the precise command input in the terminal window is a requisite, Help in the command section lacks examples, the real learning aid for a newcomer. Although DOS commands in window was devoid of examples but the rest of the help gives a vivid illustrations with examples. Any way am learning with whatever available at hand currently :roll: .

Thank you very much.
alza68

alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alza68 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:14 pm

deepakdeshp wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:55 am
By grub recovery menu I meant advance options.
Thank you very much for the information but I am not familiar with fsck, If it is a command please post the precise line as I must enter in the recovery window, as I stated, am not familiar with the term or the command. Is there any help files associated with the above term or command?

Thank you
alza68

JOPETA
Level 15
Level 15

Post by JOPETA » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:21 pm

alza68 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:12 am
I could however get windows xp USB installation files recognized and repaired the boot menu. I can currently enter only into windows now.
So, you have another problem to solve. Restoring system with Timeshift will not reinstall GRUB (also I think your Mint partition will have no write acces untill you check the file system so that restore would fail). :(

IMHO If you are not going to reinstall Mint (clean install) you will need to reinstall GRUB. Boot Repair is preinstalled in Linux Mint 19.2 Installation media but full access (read and a write) to that Mint partition is requiered. So before you try the recommended Boot Repair option, check/repair the file system with fsck as described. :wink:

(edited)
Last edited by JOPETA on Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:18 am, edited 8 times in total.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:21 pm

alza68 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:12 am
Yep! On booting after the Bios screen It is taken straight to the Grub rescue menu and bypassing the Linux Mint installation USB pen drive, although it is the USB hard disk is the first option on the BIOS boot menu preference. I could however get windows xp USB installation files recognized and repaired the boot menu. I can currently enter only into windows now.

How do you use the time shift snap shots whilst using linux installation USB drive?? What are the commands to restore etc??? As I am a newbie, these little information is vital.

Thank you
alza68
Mmm, does your BIOS have an option to manually pick what drive to boot from - e.g ESC key on the OEM splash screen or similar?

Re timeshift from a live session it's basically it's just a case of - Mounting the partition that contains your timeshift snapshots, firing up timeshift in the live session, pointing it towards that partition and then pick a snapshot to restore and carefully follow the prompts.

More technical guidance here - https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift ... -Snapshots
Last edited by smurphos on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:26 pm

Flemur wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:11 am
Network-manager is in Cinnamon's dependency chain so removing it will take the whole DE with it.

alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alza68 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:40 pm

JOPETA wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:38 pm
I think there are two different problems. The first one due to removing network manager or dependencies and the second one due to the way you power off the PC.
Indeed, I believe that was so for the brewing of the issue.
It is needed to solve the second one first. The grub rescue> prompt suggest you need to make a file system checking, It is probable you can not see GRUB menu to do as deepakdeshp recommended. and maybe it is possible to make such fsck from that prompt but I think it is worth you try it from a terminal in a live session.
Frankly, being an amateur is a shortcoming here, am rather not very familiar with the term or command fsck... Perhaps a bit more elaboration on the subject is welcome. Moreover I am not aware as to how to bring the terminal window from te Grub rescue menu.
Also if you can mount Linx Mint partition from that Live session (perhaps only with read permission if you don't check the file system first), do as smurphos suggest in order to save your personal data.
I am still figuring how to induce a live session from USB installation drive I guess. It transit directly to the grub rescue menu and not grub menu even with boot options set to start with USB hard drive.
Then try checking with sudo fsck /dev/sdxy where sdxy need to be replace with the Llinux Mint partition (i.e sda1 or sda2,..) as given by sudo fdisk -l. If error post back that code result.
The above command requires terminal window I presume, am trying to figure out how to revive the terminal window to be employed for these commands. An elaboration regarding this is vital.
After checking success try, booting from Mint installed but the first problem maybe is still there. Then you can try GRUB menu>Advanced options with an older kernel and/or recovery mode. In the recovery menu you don't need to fsck again but consider another options as failsafexor dkpg.

Other options or installing/reinstalling packages from root terminal or a graphical/text session will need a working internet connection. Also there will be an option in recovery menu or try Flemur's proposal. There is no such script in LM 19.1 but you can try those codes (.i.e sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service or sudo systemctl restart wicd.service.).

If you can not get a working internet connection, then Timeshift or a clean reinstall are good choices as smurphos proposed. :roll:
Thank you
alza68
Last edited by Moem on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote. Make sure to always use a closing tag [/quote] after a quote.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:57 pm

As Jopetta mentioned, the exact fsck command is
Then try checking with sudo fsck /dev/sdxy where sdxy need to be replace in the code with the Llinux Mint partition (i.e sda1 or sda2,..) as given by sudo fdisk -l.
Good luck
Regards,
Deepak

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:17 pm

smurphos wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:26 pm
Network-manager is in Cinnamon's dependency chain so removing it will take the whole DE with it.
Yikes.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:31 pm

alza68 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:40 pm
Frankly, being an amateur is a shortcoming here, am rather not very familiar with the term or command fsck... Perhaps a bit more elaboration on the subject is welcome. Moreover I am not aware as to how to bring the terminal window from te Grub rescue menu....
The above command requires terminal window I presume, am trying to figure out how to revive the terminal window to be employed for these commands. An elaboration regarding this is vital.
You should be able to boot your installation media...although from wrote you wrote, right above, you can't? It doesn't depend on whatever is installed or not installed or broken on another disk, so you *should* be able to boot from it...?

Then after that liveMedia boot you'll have a terminal, menus or (IIRC) Ctrl+T.

For future reference, I suppose - smurphos pointed out that removing networkmanager removes the desktop which depends upon it (but it really shouldn't, IMHO)...in the future, when you remove something, check what else is going to be removed, sometimes it's nothing, sometimes you'll break your system. The package software will tell you what else, so keep an eye on it. In this case you probably should have disabled networkmanager rather than removing it.

Also, for messing around with network manager and wicd, before uninstalling networkmanager (for desktops which don't require it), reinstall it, then the installation .deb files will be available afterward to reinstall it, after you break the internet trying to get wicd working and give up. That happened to...a friend.

JOPETA
Level 15
Level 15

Post by JOPETA » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:14 am

IMHO

1) Boot a Mint’s Live installation media (sometimes you need to go into BIOS setup twice to detect an already plugged USB device). If you can not boot your Live media, create a new USB/DVD live from your working Windows installation.

2) Copy and paste your personal data into another device or partition with the file browser. If you can not browse the partition contents do as follows.

3)In any case check/repair Mint's partition file system. Open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T).
Copy and paste the following code to know which is the Linux Mint partition

sudo fdisk -l
Replace sdxy with the real one in the following codes and copy&paste in the terminal

sudo fsck /dev/sdxy 
If file system can’t be repaired post back those code result and the following ones (look at this if you don't know how)

inxi -Fxnz
sudo blkid
If the file system is repaired successfully try 2) again and/or make a decision.
A) Reinstall Mint

B)Recover a Timeshift snapshot

C)Try repairing your already installed Mint.
4)If B or C run Boot Repair (Recommended repair option) to reinstall GRUB before. Just follow Boot Repair indications. :wink:

Return to “Newbie Questions”