(SOLVED) Is it still possible to install Wine to use Excel?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 3
Level 3

(SOLVED) Is it still possible to install Wine to use Excel?

Post by Mike-Linux-Mint » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:58 am

I'm just wondering if it's still possible to install Wine because Wine is not available in the Software Manager.
I'd like to install the MS office suite, especially Excel, but I don't want to set up a virtual machine, if possible, I'd like to keep it simple so if you know an easy way to do that, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Last edited by Mike-Linux-Mint on Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Is it still possible to install Wine to use Excel?

Post by Mike-Linux-Mint » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Thing is I'm starting to learn how to use Excel through college and while I first thought I was going to stick to Libreoffice calc, the easiest option in my opinion, now I'm afraid that both might be too different and thus difficult for me to get back to Excel when I'll have to. For those of you who have used Excel and Calc, what do you think? Are both really different in their approach and functions? I'm really at the beginning of my learning so I really don't know if what is learned on Excel can be reused on Calc?
Last edited by Mike-Linux-Mint on Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Which version of Mint are we talking about? Assuming it's 19.x, per the Release Notes:
Wine 4.0

To install the stable version of WINE from WineHQ, open a terminal and type:

apt install --install-recommends wine-installer

Among other things, this will install wine-desktop-files, which adds menu entries for regedit, your C:\ drive and other items which are missing from upstream WINE.

You can also follow the instructions from WineHQ, install either the stable, staging or devel version of WINE and make sure to have wine-desktop-files installed.
Worth doing it this way for the Menu entries alone. If you're allergic to terminal, wine-installer also can be installed in Software Manager.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mike-Linux-Mint » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:15 pm

pbear wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:10 pm
Yes, easily. Which version of Mint are we talking about?

Assuming it's 19.x, per the Release Notes:
Wine 4.0

To install the stable version of WINE from WineHQ, open a terminal and type:

apt install --install-recommends wine-installer

Among other things, this will install wine-desktop-files, which adds menu entries for regedit, your C:\ drive and other items which are missing from upstream WINE.

You can also follow the instructions from WineHQ, install either the stable, staging or devel version of WINE and make sure to have wine-desktop-files installed.
Worth doing it this way for the Menu entries alone. If you're allergic to terminal, wine-installer also can be installed in Software Manager.
Yes, I'm using Mint xfce Tessa

I've followed your instructions and this is what I got

"$ apt install --install-recommends wine-installer
[sudo] password for mike:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
wine-installer : Depends: winehq-stable but it is not going to be installed or
winehq-devel but it is not going to be installed or
winehq-staging but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:19 pm

Excel is installed as part of MS Office and, while I have not used Wine in a long time, from what I recall, the last MS Office version that worked well was Office 2010. So, even if you do get it installed, you're using a very old version.

Also, the advanced features of Excel are not going to be available -- so if you need those for learning it, it won't server your purpose.

Sorry, the the reality is that if you need to use MS Office components, you need to use them in MS Windows.

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:26 pm

Mike-Linux-Mint wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:09 pm
For those of you who have used Excel and Calc, what do you think? Are both really different in their approach and functions? I'm really at the beginning of my learning so I really don't know if what is learned on Excel can be reused on Calc?
I dumped Microsoft in favour of Linux in 2017 and all my hundreds of Excel files could be opened, used, modified and altered in Calc. They look the same, (though icons can be changed to whatever you want in Calc,) behave the same, and function the same with the one exception of macros. Excel macros will not work in Calc, so I had to record them anew. If you are going to be learning macros stick with Excel, otherwise go with Calc.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:27 pm

Mike-Linux-Mint wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:15 pm
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."[/i][/i][/i]
That implies you had a partially successful earlier attempt. Successful enough, that is, to interfere with this attempt.

There are a couple ways to fix, but sometimes the problem is intractable. Let's try this. First, open Terminal and run apt purge wine*. Sudo not required, but will ask for your password. Leave Terminal open. Now, open Software Sources from Menu. Look for anything Wine related and delete it. Ultimately, you're going to be getting updates from the official Mint repo. Back to terminal. Run sudo aptitude install wine-installer. For reasons I've never seen explained, aptitude seems to do better than regular apt/apt-get in powering through this problem, which has come up with Wine before.

Please report back. Good luck.

Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mike-Linux-Mint » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Mark Phelps wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:19 pm
Excel is installed as part of MS Office and, while I have not used Wine in a long time, from what I recall, the last MS Office version that worked well was Office 2010. So, even if you do get it installed, you're using a very old version.

Also, the advanced features of Excel are not going to be available -- so if you need those for learning it, it won't server your purpose.

Sorry, the the reality is that if you need to use MS Office components, you need to use them in MS Windows.
Ah okay, thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Well, since I'm using Linux, better get used to Calc I guess

Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mike-Linux-Mint » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:08 pm

cliffcoggin wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:26 pm
Mike-Linux-Mint wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:09 pm
For those of you who have used Excel and Calc, what do you think? Are both really different in their approach and functions? I'm really at the beginning of my learning so I really don't know if what is learned on Excel can be reused on Calc?
I dumped Microsoft in favour of Linux in 2017 and all my hundreds of Excel files could be opened, used, modified and altered in Calc. They look the same, (though icons can be changed to whatever you want in Calc,) behave the same, and function the same with the one exception of macros. Excel macros will not work in Calc, so I had to record them anew. If you are going to be learning macros stick with Excel, otherwise go with Calc.

Indeed, I will probably use the macros but since I've just started my learning on Calc I don't have to export any macro from Excel to Calc which I guess is a relief. My fear I guess was the level of difficulty I would meet to adapt on Calc the things I will learn from Excel but after seeing different tutos both don't look very much different so I'll give Calc a shot. Thanks for your help

Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mike-Linux-Mint » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:10 pm

pbear wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:27 pm
Mike-Linux-Mint wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:15 pm
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."[/i][/i][/i]
That implies you had a partially successful earlier attempt. Successful enough, that is, to interfere with this attempt.

There are a couple ways to fix, but sometimes the problem is intractable. Let's try this. First, open Terminal and run apt purge wine*. Sudo not required, but will ask for your password. Leave Terminal open. Now, open Software Sources from Menu. Look for anything Wine related and delete it. Ultimately, you're going to be getting updates from the official Mint repo. Back to terminal. Run sudo aptitude install wine-installer. For reasons I've never seen explained, aptitude seems to do better than regular apt/apt-get in powering through this problem, which has come up with Wine before.

Please report back. Good luck.
Well, your solution worked. Wine is installed now.
Thank you very much! :D

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: (SOLVED) Is it still possible to install Wine to use Excel?

Post by AndyMH » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:12 pm

I've got Excel 2013 running under crossover (the commercial version of wine). If you want a linux package that looks more like office, try WPS office (but if you want to run VBA macros forget it).
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Mike-Linux-Mint wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:10 pm
Well, your solution worked. Wine is installed now.
Thank you very much! :D
You're welcome. Glad it worked out.

Huecuva
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Huecuva » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:18 am

I used LibreOffice Calc for about a year at one of my previous jobs and I used Excel for about 6 years at my last job. LibreOffice makes a few things easier than Excel, but they're very very similar and whatever you learn in Excel can be used in Calc with minimal adaptation.

Except for macros, apparently. I never used those.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:29 am

There are differences in some of the more esoteric functions between Excel and Calc. Macro programming is completely different. All that aside, Calc is every bit as capable as Excel, and Calc can read and write M$ formats, but. 100% identical, hell no!! Like trying to learn how to fix a Ford when all You have is a Holden.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:33 am

HP Z400 Workstation
LMDE 3 Cindy

Return to “Newbie Questions”