Mouse Scroll options?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Sonofman
Level 1
Level 1

Mouse Scroll options?

Post by Sonofman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi... I have a standard wired Mouse with front and back buttons which work great but my scrool wheel not so good it really slow in movement is there something that can be done for it? thanks

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mouse Scroll options?

Post by blueocean » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Where is it slow? When in a browser or text document? If browser which one do you use? What version of Mint and Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Sonofman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sonofman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi ... Yes with browser and I'm using Chromium latest version on Mint Cinnamon 19.2 64 bit, Thanks

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:15 pm

Okay that's easy. Add the extension Chromium Smooth Wheel Scroller and change the default settings. Mine looks like this, but note the defaults before changing:
Scroll.jpg
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Sonofman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sonofman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:35 pm

Why are there so many options, why can't it just have a simple up and down option something how a Logitech mouse setting under windows? I don't understand what those setting do or how just to make it go a little quicker than the default option. Curious as to why Linux Mint doesn't just have this option available in their mouse section, seems to be a common sense not to have, no? I'm just using the same setting as you it is much better, thanks

HAWR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HAWR » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Hello Sonofman,

I have a standard wired mouse, too, and I've long time searched for a solution to speed up the scrolling. And I've found it:

https://mintguide.org/other/643-setup-t ... speed.html

You can run the mentioned script as often you need to find the rigth speed for you. Be aware, it really works good. :D

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:49 pm

Try sliding to my settings and give it a test. As to your why, it's Chromium and extensions are how you do some of the customizations, it's really separate from the Mint OS and is not system wide.

Sonofman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sonofman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:51 pm

HAWR wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:48 pm
Hello Sonofman,

I have a standard wired mouse, too, and I've long time searched for a solution to speed up the scrolling. And I've found it:

https://mintguide.org/other/643-setup-t ... speed.html

You can run the mentioned script as often you need to find the rigth speed for you. Be aware, it really works good. :D
I did try that but the only problem with that was the back and forth buttons wouldn't work

Sonofman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sonofman » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:52 pm

blueocean wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:49 pm
Try sliding to my settings and give it a test. As to your why, it's Chromium and extensions are how you do some of the customizations, it's really separate from the Mint OS and is not system wide.
I did, it seems to be good, thanks ... Still, don't get why Linux Mint people don't just have this option available in the mouse setting seems to be must have

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Actually, the LM version gives you more granular control over how your mouse behaves. The windows version is primitive in my opinion.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Sonofman wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:52 pm
blueocean wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:49 pm
I did, it seems to be good, thanks ... Still, don't get why Linux Mint people don't just have this option available in the mouse setting seems to be must have
Because Chromium is based on Chrome and that's the google way. If it were system wide, you might not like a universal setting ie for text documents etc. This way is best because it's separate. Firefox has a similar add-on with different name.

Return to “Newbie Questions”