Difference between Timeshift Snapshot and Backup

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
muffybean
Level 3
Level 3

Difference between Timeshift Snapshot and Backup

Post by muffybean » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:29 pm

It seems the main sytem is Timeshift and programs/user settings are done in Backup. Now I have my Timeshift snapshots being located on 32gb USB Thumb Drive I have attached to my netbook all the time. I have my Snapshots on auto and set keep 2. Once it has reached 2 snapshots and a third snapshot is being done will it remove the oldest one to keep to two snapshots?

I am going to do my backups to another usb stick on a weekly basis. Any advice in these matters would be appreciated.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Difference between Timeshift Snapshot and Backup

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi muffy, it's your machine so do it however you want. Personally, I do a Timeshift snapshot before every upgrade, maintaining 2 snapshots. I do a daily backup of my /home, also set to maintain 2 backups, so I don't lose much as far as my data. I have a separate SSD just for snapshots and data backups.

Hope this helps,
Larry

gittiest personITW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gittiest personITW » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi,
As Larry says, it is up to you.

I'm sure many others ppl will post with their backup regimes also.
So, Mine are Timeshift - set to every boot and daily and keep a few. No point for me to keep monthly Timeshift.
Lucky backup - you can configure what folders to backup and when and where to. (whenever I can be bothered to click on the icon)
Clonezilla - Clones the whole disk to an image (compressed) that, in theory, can be used in case of disk failure or whatever (once every 2 or 3 weeks).

edit:
all backups kept on external drives
Last edited by gittiest personITW on Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:49 pm

It should auto delete them. You can check and see, either by launching Timeshift or look in the flash drive folder called Timeshift.
My Timeshift points are on my root partition and I only keep no more than 3 and do them manually as desired. It's clean and simple although I've experimented with most every configuration. I use Grsync rather than Luckybackup to back up my data to various external drives, but don't leave them mounted. I use the mighty Clonezilla for full disk recovery. Also I only use Ext4 on one system. Otherwise I'm a Btrfs aficionado and Timeshift points are created instantly and use no measurable space.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:21 pm

muffybean wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:29 pm
I am going to do my backups to another usb stick on a weekly basis. Any advice in these matters would be appreciated.
The built-in Backup Tool is very primitive. It copies all the files in /home to a zip archive. When run the next time, it copies everything again. Ditto the next time and so on. Nothing to configure but tremendously inefficient.

One of the regular backup apps, e.g., Grsync, Back in Time or Lucky Backup, can be set up to copy only new or edited files at each update (also will delete obsolete ones). As they're more complex, there's a learning curve, of course, but it's not bad. These apps are available in the Mint repo and can be installed with Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager, or by using apt/apt-get in Terminal.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

muffybean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by muffybean » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:32 am

Thank you all for your informative replies. I have to admit yesterday I made a big mistake in trying to install MATE on the same PC as Cinammon and Windows 10 and completed corrupted everything as I did not fully comprehend that the Grub menu was written to the MBR on my SSD drive where Windows 10 is installed. When I tried to restore Windows 10 with Acronis True Image 19 that would not work. The only way I got my system up front and working was to clean install Windows 10 on my SSD, then using my Acronis Rescue Boot USB stick to restore my version of Windows 10.

Code: Select all

I use the mighty Clonezilla for full disk recovery. Also I only use Ext4 on one system
Point noted here, would you say this is better Acronis True Image 2019 when using Linux on it's own as I have done on my Netbook?

Of course I had lost the Linux Mint Cinammon edition. I am going to re-install Linux on my desktop with a dual boot but this time us MATE as I want to compare it with Cinammon. Any opinions on these differences would be appreciated. This is the layout of my system for the intended dual boot.
Acer-Partition-Layout.png
My system has 8gb Ram with an AMD FX-4300 CPU. I plan to install MATE on Disk 2 on the partition marked sdc5, maybe using my H partiton marked New Volume as a space for my Snapshots. Disk 0 has Windows 10 installed; disk 1 is split for Data and Backup for my Acoronis Images of the SSD. Appreciate any thoughts there.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:47 am

muffybean wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:32 am
Any opinions on these differences would be appreciated.
This is a completely different topic. You'll get better feedback if you start a new thread. FWIW, you can do what you wanted, i.e., have triple boot with Windows, Cinnamon and MATE. By default, the last system installed would control Grub, but boot both of the others.

muffybean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by muffybean » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:05 pm

FWIW, you can do what you wanted, i.e., have triple boot with Windows, Cinnamon and MATE. By default, the last system installed would control Grub, but boot both of the others.
Ironically it was whilst I was doing this I buggered up the system! :lol:

Sorry about this and will repost as you advise. But many thanks for the advice you have given.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:21 pm

muffybean wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:05 pm
Ironically it was whilst I was doing this I buggered up the system! :lol:
Oh, I understood. My point is that what you attempted can be done, so ask how if that's still what you want.

muffybean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by muffybean » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi pbear as per your advice I have reposted at

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=303983

Return to “Newbie Questions”