Customize icon Xfce

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Customize icon Xfce

Post by blueocean » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:22 pm

Xfce 19.2:
I'd like to have a custom icon for each of 6 USB drives I use regularly. It makes it easy to visually identify the drives and it looks spiffy. It's pretty easy in Cinnamon and Mate, but I can't seem to figure it out with Xfce. When I right click a mounted drive icon and choose properties my choices are emblems. Not many interesting choices. I can download .png icons online. I use them in Cinnamon and Mate. Is there a way to add these .png icons to emblems (don't know where emblems are stored) or perhaps a different approach altogether?
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

MrEen
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Customize icon Xfce

Post by MrEen » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:25 pm

If no one has a simpler way to accomplish this, and your USB drive icons always point to the same place, such as /media/myusername/LabelOfDrive, I can give you something that should work.

Oh, I'm also assuming you mean the icons on your desktop. Not the icons in the left pane in Thunar under Devices.

1. Copy /usr/share/applications/Thunar.desktop to the desktop. The terminal method is cp /usr/share/applications/Thunar.desktop ~/Desktop

2. Run xed ~/Desktop/Thunar.desktop to open the file for editing

3. Change Name=Thunar File Manager to Name=The Name You Want

4. Change Exec=Thunar %f to Exec=Thunar /media/myusername/LabelOfDrive or whatever the appropriate path is.

5. Change Icon=Thunar to Icon=/path/to/your/custom/icon

6. Save the file.

7. Right click on the file and go to Properties > Permissions tab and check the box for Allow this file to run as a program otherwise you'll get prompted each time you click on the icon.

Done. Just rinse and repeat 5 more times for your other drives.

And yes, there should be an easier way!

This idea I got from ToZ on the Xfce forum here: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=8330

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:57 pm

Groan :? I'll try it later when my stamina recharges. Could be tomorrow. Thanks as always MrEen!
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

MrEen
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MrEen » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:04 pm

My pleasure. Do wait a bit in case others know of a better way.

EDIT: Note that opening in xed will change each time. Probably easier to right click and select Open With "Text Editor" each time.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:32 pm

MrEen wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:04 pm
Note that opening in xed will change each time.
Does not compute
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

MrEen
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MrEen » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:41 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:32 pm
MrEen wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:04 pm
Note that opening in xed will change each time.
Does not compute
The second time the file will be named something like ~/Desktop/Thunar.desktop(1), then the next time will be ~/Desktop/Thunar.desktop(2)

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:55 pm

Do I delete these off my desktop when done?

MrEen
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MrEen » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:10 pm

No. These will be your custom drive icons. When you copy the file to your desktop, it'll say Thunar File Manager, which will get changed by the edits above.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:23 pm

MrEen wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:10 pm
No. These will be your custom drive icons. When you copy the file to your desktop, it'll say Thunar File Manager, which will get changed by the edits above.
So are they visible in my workspace or only the root desktop?

MrEen
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MrEen » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:36 pm

This will be on the desktop. What you see once you've logged in after booting up.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:53 pm

I don't keep anything on my desktop. I have Variety Wallpaper changer with fantastic scenery pics that change every 2 hours. Only when I open files, browsers etc is anything there. Sounds like I'm not going to like this. Was hoping there was a way to add png icons to that emblems folder where ever it's located.

MrEen
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MrEen » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 am

blueocean wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:53 pm
Sounds like I'm not going to like this.
Indeed. That's why I had said this:
Oh, I'm also assuming you mean the icons on your desktop. Not the icons in the left pane in Thunar under Devices.

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:03 pm

Oh well, it's no biggie. Just a feature I've appreciated for a long time.

Return to “Newbie Questions”