Out of drive space with LUKS even after freeing 4+ gigs.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
panorain
Level 4
Level 4

Out of drive space with LUKS even after freeing 4+ gigs.

Post by panorain » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:09 am

Hi, My desktop computer was/still is running Mint 19.1 Mate 64 bit edition.

Luks encryption loads up fine. All was well until 'drive full' notification was sent up. 2.gigs available hit some spot on my 160 Gig Seagate. <---- I removed 2 or 3 gigs of data from the drive via tty2 = ctrl alt f2 or etc.

Each time the computer loads up into the 'Splash Screen' ... Mate still fails to load/run and drops back into the splash screen.

1. Is it possible to get a link for 'hardisk' to 'usb' copy from the tutorials?

2. I do not see or understand why the computer will not load into 'Mate Desktop' after entering the correct passphrase as well as visitor account also failing to load.

3. Is there a way to clear some cache or something here?

I would really appreciate some help. :(
Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Linux Mint 19.1 Tara
NetBSD 8.1 [beginner] :)
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Out of drive space with LUKS even after freeing 4+ gigs.

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:14 am

Update manager-- view-- kernels. Remove extra kernels. Have you set up time shift backups to backup on the system? Delete the snapshots to create space.
If required boot from live USB if you can't boot from your HDD.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

panorain
Level 4
Level 4

Post by panorain » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:26 am

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:14 am
Update manager-- view-- kernels. Remove extra kernels. Have you set up time shift backups to backup on the system? Delete the snapshots to create space.
If required boot from live USB if you can't boot from your HDD.
Thanks for your time and response . Does not work .
Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Linux Mint 19.1 Tara
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:29 am

What does not work?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

panorain
Level 4
Level 4

Post by panorain » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:32 am

Entering my password or my visitor accounts password and then gaining entry into Mate desktop environment. Is that difficult to understand ?

I believe it was because my hardisk was full and did in fact get a warning . At this point I did in fact remove 4 gigs worth of files to attempt to eliminate any sort of 'buffer/overflow' . Same issue occurs as listed above. It's actually really upsetting. I apologize if I came of a bit 'meanny'.

Thank You
Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Linux Mint 19.1 Tara
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:58 am

If you've reduced the number of kernels and Timeshift backups, It's time to start culling your data.You'll need to get to the point that you have at least 16GB free on your drive, possibly more. Move as much as possible off to external media. I prefer to keep 20% of my drive free. You may want to think about adding a drive.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:29 am

panorain wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:32 am
Entering my password or my visitor accounts password and then gaining entry into Mate desktop environment. Is that difficult to understand ?
Ahem, that's not what deepak suggested, so if you're saying that's why what he DID suggest didn't work, no it's not obvious. In any event, you seem to have overlooked deepak's second suggestion, "If required boot from live USB if you can't boot from your HDD." Notably, you can mount the LUKS partition in the live session (assuming you have the password, of course), which is why it would enable to you to clear out the Timeshift snapshots.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Newbie Questions”