Move the whole system from external HDD to internal HDD

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
xmynurten
Level 1
Level 1

Move the whole system from external HDD to internal HDD

Post by xmynurten » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:21 pm

Hello everyone :
I've been searching on youtube and this forum about how to move the whole system from an external USB or HDD to internal Disk ( dual boot )
can't seem to find the best way to do it .
Because I've put too many time on setting up everything ( from upgrading to downloading Pycharm to also other stuffs )
They said it can be done with timeshift ( but also there is a risk that can't restore correctly )
I've been testing Linux mint on my external HDD, Now I really like this OS. ( mainly because my external HDD reading speed is really low )
Sometimes the system seems really slow.

I'll be appericiate it if anyone who could show me the correct way .
Cheers !!

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Move the whole system from external HDD to internal HDD

Post by blueocean » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:58 pm

It is a very intimidating task and Timeshift will not complete it because the destination does not match. By far the easiest is to get the paid version of Aptik and do a clean install of Mint to your internal HDD, update then let Aptik duplicate your current configuration. The license is $25 and can be used indefinitely on other machines. Sure worth it. So effortless. Just install it (not the free version - it's dated) and do a complete backup to any removable drive in a folder you create, then when your fresh install is just updated, install aptik and do a full restore. It works best if you use the same version number of Mint and flavor.
*Later after thinking about this more, I made a post about using Clonezilla.
Last edited by blueocean on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:03 pm

xmynurten wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:21 pm
Hello everyone :
I've been searching on youtube and this forum about how to move the whole system from an external USB or HDD to internal Disk ( dual boot )
I'll be appericiate it if anyone who could show me the correct way .Cheers !!
Does the external disk have grub on it? You might be able to copy the entire external disk, including the MBR and partitions, to the new disk, with a partition copier or "dd". I think "size matters" in this case.

I'm sure this isn't the correct way, but I've done similar by making a full install to the internal disk, which sets up grub, then erasing all the newly installed OS files (rm -r *) and copying the old OS that you want from the external to internal with a "cp -ax" (running from liveMedia).

Another way, probably more preferred than above, would be to copy the OS from external to internal, then install grub; installing grub on a unbootable system (often caused by Windows) has been covered in this forum a bunch of times.

In both cases you have to make some internal partition(s) first.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:52 pm

Aptik is perfect for migrating a system.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:01 pm

xmynurten wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:21 pm
I'll be appericiate it if anyone who could show me the correct way .
As already suggested, do a clean install, and use the paid version of Aptik, which is $US25, not $20. If you decide to go this route, remember these points when restoring:

1) Don't do a complete restore. Instead do a manual restore of selected items.
2) When manually restoring, restore items in numerical order, starting at 1.
3) Do not restore these items:

Code: Select all

7. Mount entries
     8. User accounts
     9. User groups
4) Finally, do not update your newly installed system. Just run Aptik first, then update if necessary.

https://teejeetech.in/aptik-3/
Last edited by catweazel on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:05 pm

blueocean wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:58 pm
then when your fresh install is just updated...
DO NOT DO THIS!
blueocean wrote:
do a full restore.
DO NOT DO THIS!

The system will fail to work.

Good grief.
Last edited by catweazel on Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 pm

You could always remove the drive from the external case and just plug it into the existing computer.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:12 pm

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 pm
You could always remove the drive from the external case and just plug it into the existing computer.
Hellooooo? Anyone home?

What if the OP has a laptop? What if it's the disk that's slow, and not the interface?

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:31 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:05 pm
blueocean wrote:
DO NOT DO THIS!
blueocean wrote:
do a full restore.
DO NOT DO THIS!

Good grief.
I don't know what you are talking about. I talking about using Aptik to get his current backup and settings, then use those setting again with Aptik installed on the fresh install of Mint to his internal hard drive. I know it works, and it works well. The full restore refers to the full restore in aptik itself.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:59 pm

blueocean wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:31 pm
catweazel wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:05 pm
blueocean wrote:
DO NOT DO THIS!
blueocean wrote:
do a full restore.
DO NOT DO THIS!

Good grief.
I don't know what you are talking about. I talking about using Aptik...
I know precisely what you are talking about.
blueocean wrote:
to get his current backup and settings, then use those setting again with Aptik installed on the fresh install of Mint to his internal hard drive. I know it works, and it works well. The full restore refers to the full restore in aptik itself.
If the OP follows your instructions then they will have a non-functioning system. End of debate.

If you doubt it, make a backup, delete all your partitions, clean install then do an update, followed by a full aptik restore like you are advocating. Come back next week when you've managed to gain entry to your system.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:52 pm

blueocean wrote:
This is what I'm talking about. It is the result of blindly following your advice:
Screenshot_20191021_114919.png

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:51 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:52 pm
blueocean wrote:
This is what I'm talking about. It is the result of blindly following your advice:

Well even though I'm on a high speed metered connection (data allowance renews tonight) I did a complete test with the newest version of licensed Aptik. I did a clean full default install of Cinnamon 19.2 to a 500GB Silicon Power USB 3.0 HDD. I then updated it and put a few apps and theme on it. I installed Aptik and did a complete backup to a folder in a flash drive. I then shut down, and removed the SP Drive and put in a empty 256BG internal SSD and connected the SATA cable. I then did a clean default install of Cinnamon 19.2 to it. I then put the Aptik backup off the flash drive on the desktop. I installed Aptik, directed it to the folder, and did a full restore. When it finished, I rebooted and absolutely all the settings and apps were exactly the same as they were on the USB HDD. So for me it works on my system. I've never had it fail in other much more complex scenarios. I do like your red ink though. Reminds me of my high school english teacher :)

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:43 pm

blueocean wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:51 pm
catweazel wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:52 pm
blueocean wrote:

Well even though I'm on a high speed metered connection (data allowance renews tonight) I did a complete test with the newest version of licensed Aptik. I did a clean full default install of Cinnamon 19.2 to a 500GB Silicon Power USB 3.0 HDD. I then updated it and put a few apps and theme on it. I installed Aptik and did a complete backup to a folder in a flash drive. I then shut down, and removed the SP Drive and put in a empty 256BG internal SSD and connected the SATA cable. I then did a clean default install of Cinnamon 19.2 to it. I then put the Aptik backup off the flash drive on the desktop. I installed Aptik, directed it to the folder, and did a full restore. When it finished, I rebooted and absolutely all the settings and apps were exactly the same as they were on the USB HDD. So for me it works on my system. I've never had it fail in other much more complex scenarios. I do like your red ink though. Reminds me of my high school english teacher :)
The point is, when it comes to technical support, your personal opinion is not a suitable guide to someone else's success. If you know anything about linux then you don't need me to spell out the reasons for not performing the steps that I listed above, and you would understand why it is necessary to be cautious when giving personal opinion in lieu of a reasoned technical response.

Let me know if you want the reasoning for not performing those steps explained to you.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:04 am

catweazel wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:12 pm
lsemmens wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 pm
Hellooooo? Anyone home?

What if the OP has a laptop? What if it's the disk that's slow, and not the interface?
Then all he has lost is a bit of time. I was just posting an alternative to stuffing around with disk duplication software. I happily swap disks in and out of computers (laptops included) if I think it might be a reasonably quick solution. I am not afraid of a complete re-partition, re-format and re-load if I feel this is warranted. Back in the bad ole days of windwoes I'd seriously consider a disk duplication program as a necessary evil for mission critical stuff. Not necessary in Linux. A complete reload only takes a few minutes now.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:26 am

The whole idea behind Aptik is to migrate everything from one disk/system to another. I did one with my partner's work computer.

Backed up everything with Aptik.
Installed 19.2
Restored everything with Aptik.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:16 am

JerryF wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:26 am
The whole idea behind Aptik is to migrate everything from one disk/system to another. I did one with my partner's work computer.
Installed 19.2
I think my crude method of
-- install the internal os,
-- delete its files and copy the complete external OS over (and edit /etc/fstab and/or label the partitions)
sounds easier and more complete.

With Aptik, if I had some custom files in, say, /etc/systemd/network/stuff, which I do, as well as in other places, I would have to remember which files I changed and tell Aptik to save them:
https://teejeetech.in/2019/07/14/aptik-v19-07/ ("System Files")

Edit: what if you told Aptik to save everything under "/" ?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:43 am

JerryF wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:26 am

Installed 19.2
Was it aptik free version?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:04 am

The free version of Aptik is depreciated. Tony George took it over - he does Timeshift and several others. The licensed version is what I use. For catweasel's input, I contacted Tony George (I stay in touch with him) and here is his exact quote: My question to Tony: "Is it okay to use Aptik to create a backup from a full instal of Mint 19.2 on a portable USB hard drive and use it to do a full restore to an internal SATA hard drive? I tried it and it worked okay, but is this an acceptable practice?"
His answer:
"Yes, it's fine. It doesn't matter whether the system is installed on USB drive or Internal storage."

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:49 pm

You realize, right, the aspect of the question TG focused on isn't the one in dispute?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:54 pm

blueocean wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:04 am
The free version of Aptik is depreciated. Tony George took it over - he does Timeshift and several others. The licensed version is what I use. For catweasel's input, I contacted Tony George (I stay in touch with him) and here is his exact quote: My question to Tony: "Is it okay to use Aptik to create a backup from a full instal of Mint 19.2 on a portable USB hard drive and use it to do a full restore to an internal SATA hard drive? I tried it and it worked okay, but is this an acceptable practice?"
His answer:
"Yes, it's fine. It doesn't matter whether the system is installed on USB drive or Internal storage."
Can you please comment here?
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=303981
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Newbie Questions”