Messy, Disorganized File and Directory Placement When Installing Programs (And Hello...)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
NeverGoingBack
Level 1
Level 1

Messy, Disorganized File and Directory Placement When Installing Programs (And Hello...)

Post by NeverGoingBack » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:16 pm

Hello. I'm new to the forum, but I've been running Linux Mint 19.1 for around a year now, and I will definitely never be going back to Windows or Apple. I definitely feel like open-source has for the most part caught up to the Mega-corporate tech companies, at least as far as the average user is concerned. If you're an engineering firm designing the world's tallest skyscraper, or a film production company trying to do something on the level of Lord of the Rings, maybe you need the Mega-corporate $500,000 software packages with all the choke collars they attempt to put around your neck, your data, your program access and functionality... But then again, maybe you still don't need them.

I'm getting to the point where I feel that corporate software is for idiots and suckers. (Sorry if that offends anyone!)

Anyway, enough with the introduction. My question is why does software have to be installed randomly, willy-nilly, and mysteriously in disorganized ways? I assume it has something to do with different developers having different ideas and different levels of organizational and logical capabilities and fastidiousness? Does it also have something to do with files needing to be in a certain directory to work?

Ideally, I would like all my program files and directories to be installed in strict hierarchical organization, and all in one place which I deem appropriate. I've been checking out a lot of new programs over the past couple weeks, and that sure isn't happening. Many programs just dump their files or sub-directories into my /home directory. Some programs create their own directories and do a fairly good job of not making a mess. Some do a combination of both.

/home/usr/programs/blender/all_blender_sub-directories_and_files
/home/usr/programs/opera/all_opera_sub-directories_and_files
/home/usr/programs/gimp/all_gimp_sub-directories_and_files
/home/usr/programs/inkscape/all_inkscape_sub-directories_and_files
/home/usr/programs/VLC/all_VLC_sub-directories_and_files

That's what my directory structure should look like, not:

/home/usr/blender/all_blender_sub-directories_and_files
/home/usr/programs/opera/all_opera_sub-directories_and_files
/home/all_gimp_sub-directories_and_files
/home/usr/programs/all_inkscape_sub-directories_and_files
/home/usr/all_VLC_sub-directories_and_files

Is there an easy way to remedy this after the fact? Or do programs have directory locations "baked in" in such a way that it is not possible to reorganize their locations and change their file paths? Any help tidying up this mess would be appreciated.

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Messy, Disorganized File and Directory Placement When Installing Programs (And Hello...)

Post by Larry78723 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:50 pm

On my 19.2 Cinnamon, my programs are installed in /usr/share with configurations saved in /home/larry/.config. Data is stored wherever I configured it to save. The only exception is Thunderbird, which stores everything, including configuration and data, in /home/larry/.thunderbird.

Larry

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Messy, Disorganized File and Directory Placement When Installing Programs (And Hello...)

Post by decrepit » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:51 am

I guess linux operating systems are very modular in nature, with stuff coming from all over the place, that probably explains the differences.

Return to “Newbie Questions”