MATE or Cinammon? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
muffybean
Level 4
Level 4

MATE or Cinammon? [SOLVED]

Post by muffybean » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:57 am

I have tried running Cinammon in a dual boot with with Windows 10 but I am wondering whether MATE might be a better choice after reading it is a more stable version. I intend to install VirtualBox for Windows 10 on the Linux drive, primarily to run a couple of programs that there is no alternative in native Linux. So I would appreciate the merits of what version I should run in these circumstances, MATE or Cinammon? I do have plenty of disk space.
Last edited by muffybean on Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook

ernie dingbat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: MATE or Cinammon?

Post by ernie dingbat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:04 am

muffybean wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:57 am
I have tried running Cinammon in a dual boot with with Windows 10 but I am wondering whether MATE might be a better choice after reading it is a more stable version. I intend to install VirtualBox for Windows 10 on the Linux drive, primarily to run a couple of programs that there is no alternative in native Linux. So I would appreciate the merits of what version I should run in these circumstances, MATE or Cinammon? I do have plenty of disk space.
Hi, again, muffybean

Can you tell us more about your system? Do this by posting the output of inxi -Fxz, which you type into a terminal. The info will help to better advise you.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:23 am

If you want to run Windows in a VM you'll want as much spare RAM as possible. Mate is MUCH lighter than Cinnamon. Unless you have a ton of power that's going to be a factor unless you're running small WIndows programs.

Beyond that, if you have decent RAM and your video drivers give you good 3D accel, it's really a matter of taste.

Best to post the text output in inxi -Fxz run in the terminal, as mentioned.

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:32 am

I haven't heard that cinammon is less stable than mate, but it is heavier on resources. As I have an older machine I run mate, but if you have the resources, I think it's just a matter of preference which Desktop you get on with.
Any way I'm running virtual box with w7 without a problem, but I did increase my ram from 4gb to 6gb, 8gb would be better.
If you want to run cinnamon as well, I think you'd be better with 10gb or more, especially if you're doing stuff on both OS at the same time.

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:23 am

muffybean wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:57 am
Hi MuffyB and welcome! I'm not sure this will help or not but here's my story. I'm new to Linux, only about 6 or so weeks now but I have two HP laptops that I'm playing around on with Cinnamon 19.2. One is a 10yr old Win7, 3gb ram machine and the other is a 3 yr old Win10 w/8 gb ram. As of now, both are running Cinn 19.2 64 bit from usb stick drives, seeming very well! I played around with Mate a little at the beginning but being an old windows user I just preferred look & feel of Cinnamon.

Anyway, I'm by no means a heavy user but I do tend to open a lot of search windows and apps and leave them open from time to time which of course starts to use up ram and can slow the win7 machine a good bit but as of now I haven't run into any major issues with either one. However, the difference in how the two operate is startling and I've become obsessed with running System Monitor, especially on the win7 machine, just to keep an eye on how much ram & swap is being used. I'm fascinated!

I have no idea what your usage will be or how it might relate to mine but my guess would be that if you have a win10 machine that has a decent amount of ram and disk space and it's stable running windows, if you follow the basic guide lines available here, on videos & other sites you should be ok with Cinnamon. One last thing, I've just realized that over the last several weeks I've staring using LM Cinnamon more and more, maybe 75% +, over windows on both laptops. Oh I still boot up in windows just to ensure it's still working, but I'm slowly moving away.

Well, that's my take on it. Good luck!

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:03 am

decrepit wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:32 am
I haven't heard that cinammon is less stable than mate....
Actually that's not true per se but Cinnamon requires 3D hardware video accel just by itself so with the wrong video driver (or one that doesn't support that) it will be less stable than Mate (or a number of others). I have a netbook with one of the WORST supported in Linuix gpus, and Cinnamon is just hopeless because there''s no 3D accelerated video. Many who are relatively new to this stuff think it's intrinsic to Cinnamon.

Seadreamer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Seadreamer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:06 am

I started with a gnome desktop back in the dim distant past, When Ubuntu went to unity I switched to Mint and a Mate desktop. I have a powerful system with 32gb of ram and still just prefer Mate. Virtualbox with Windows 10 works well.
Homebrew Intel i7 8700k 32gb RAM
LinuxMint 19.2 Mate
Win 10 for games

muffybean
Level 4
Level 4

Post by muffybean » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Sorry guys not to get back before this but I have been so many things. I have installed MATE on my backup machine with 8gb RAM today. Plus I dug out an old machine I had stored that has only 2gb RAM that was running Win 7 Ultimate but not that quick. So between doing one machine and then another between working in the garden it has been a bit hectic.

I was pleased to get the old 2gb machine up front a running with Xfce! My Acer Netbook (2gb RAM) is also running well with Xfce installed on it so you can see it is a bit busy at the moment. I will stick with the backup machine on this topic though rather than complicate matter. I will run that command later this guys to let you know.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook

Return to “Newbie Questions”