How to open Imagemagick?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jeronimus
Level 2
Level 2

How to open Imagemagick?

Post by Jeronimus »

The Software Manager says I have it pre-installed, and Terminal tells me it is up-to-date.

How do I open it in order to use it?

Sorry, basic. But I cannot find.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 20.2 Cinnamon. Ryzen: 2400g Gigabyte B450M self-build. Lenovo ThinkPad T450. MacBook Air 2012. digiKam, Pix. Darktable. Inkscape. Gimp. syncthing. Simplenote. Okular. KeepassXC. Calibre. Chrome stuff.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to open Imagemagick?

Post by sgtor »

It doesn't run under the name imagemagick, rather it uses differently named commands that relate to the function of said command.

The only one I use is mogrify but there are many others. What makes it so great is you can do a batch run from the command line or a script and it is a lot quicker than doing the same thing in a GUI program.

For example:

Code: Select all

find -name "*.jpg" -exec mogrify -scale 80% -quality 75 -strip {} \;
What that basically does is convert huge jpg files to a smaller size. You would cd to the directory with the pictures and just run it.

You could put a whole bunch of these commands into a script and just run the script and walk away.
It's been a while since I used a GUI program but I remember you couldn't do it that quickly back then, I don't know if you can now or not.

You'll probably find this page interesting. https://imagemagick.org/Usage/
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

ImageMagick is a set of tools that are run from the command line. There is a GUI for it, but it is also started from the command line. Open a terminal, enter display, click on the wizard's hat (or anywhere else in the window), and the menu should appear.

For more information about IM and its tools, go to https://imagemagick.org/index.php. I think IM is worth the effort to learn to use, but there is a learning curve.

Here are some ways IM can be used.
https://rubblewebs.co.uk/imagemagick/im ... k.php#div2
http://www.rubblewebs.co.uk/imagemagick/codes/film.php

I use the IM convert tool for several tasks. This example reduces the size of the JPGs in a directory by 50% and append "_small" to the filename. This uses the convert tool, along with the shell utilities "find" and "xargs". The “-l” makes it process one line at a time. The “-i” makes the “{}” to stand for file name.

find . -name "*jpg" | xargs -l -i basename "{}" ".jpg" | xargs -l -i  convert  "{}.jpg" -resize 50% "{}_small.jpg"
I use the IM montage tool to create contact prints. The command I use creates a contact print that has up to 24 thumbnails per page, each thumbnail is 250x250 in size with the filename as a label, and it will generate a multi-page PDF for contact prints of 25+ images.

montage -verbose -label '%f' -font Helvetica -pointsize 12 -background '#D3D3D3' -fill 'black' -define jpeg:size=250x250 -frame 6x6+2+2 -geometry 250x250+2+2 -tile 4x6 -page letter -auto-orient *.jpg ContactPrint.pdf
You can create a quick/dirty contact print of every .jpg in a directory with display 'vid:*.jpg'. Please not that Linux is case sensitive, so this will exclude image.JPG ... or any JPGs with an upper case extension.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Jeronimus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jeronimus »

That's really helpful and just what I need it for. Thanks.
Mint 20.2 Cinnamon. Ryzen: 2400g Gigabyte B450M self-build. Lenovo ThinkPad T450. MacBook Air 2012. digiKam, Pix. Darktable. Inkscape. Gimp. syncthing. Simplenote. Okular. KeepassXC. Calibre. Chrome stuff.

Return to “Beginner Questions”