Copy a DVD

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Copy a DVD

Post by Toplap »

Hi, can anyone advise me on the best software to use to copy a dvd. I would also appreciate it if anybody could teach me how to do it in the terminal. I was told that Handbrake could copy anything but it won't. This is a movie dvd that I own. Thanks. I have searched the forum but found nothing.

ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Copy a DVD

Post by ajgreeny »

Your problem may be that you are not using the correct procedure for finding the DVD drive when you go to the Source.

Click on the Open Source icon top left and then at the bottom left is a dropdown box which in my system shows me /dev/sr0. Clicking on that opens the film in handbrake and allows you to rip it to either mp4 or mkv; it does not actually copy the DVD in the normal sense of "copy" but rather converts it to the video filetype of your preference.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi Toplap,

Best way to copy an DvD and burn it on another DvD ? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=293532&hilit=k9copy

Alternative to DVDfab <SOLVED> - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=136934&hilit=k9copy

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toplap »

Thanks for replies...will try them both.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi Toplap,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toplap »

SOLVED. Just to let you know that I found makeMKV good for copying my dvds. However I struggled with many dvd copiers when trying to copy a French language cd that was copy write protected. I got around this by using Audacity. It allowed me to copy each file and convert to mp3 so that I can listen to them on many devices. Cheers.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi Toplap,

You are welcome again from all of us that replied...

MakeMKV is a superb application for backing up your own DVD/CD/Blu-Ray discs collection and or converting them into digital video files for a media server.

That is interesting that you used Audacity sound editor for converting the audio sound track.

FYI: Usually you can select which audio and or subtitle tracks that you want included when "ripping" a DVD or CD or Blu-ray disc with MakeMKV.
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toplap
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Toplap »

Thanks phd21.
FYI..I tried quite a few dvd software, trying to rip or convert the language cd (which I own) and is protected but none would recognise it. I had given up but then tried one last go with audacity, which did it no problem. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”