Slow down the boot?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Slow down the boot?

Post by jimisbell »

During boot there are several messages flashing across the screen. Too fast to read them. Is there a way to slow or stop the boot so I can read, what might be important? Mint 19.2
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Slow down the boot?

Post by zcot »

After boot, get in terminal and use command: dmesg

jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

What was this supposed to do? I got several pages of text scrolling across the terminal but didnt see any change in the speed of the boot when I rebooted and could not read the messages.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

There's a pretty good explanation of dmesg here https://www.howtoforge.com/linux-dmesg-command/
You can see all the processes the kernel does while booting. You can narrow them down as the article explains. Using dmesg, you don't need to slow boot down and start some kind of an issue.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

You might find this command interesting also:

Code: Select all

systemd-analyze blame
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

Well, the reason I want to slow down boot is because at least one of the messages and maybe two are offering me keys to press to alter the boot path. Seeing them after the fact is of no use to me. I want to see what they are offering and maybe I want to follow a different path.

jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

Maybe I am asking the wrong question. There are at least three text messages that appear on screen during boot, Two of them suggest a <cntl> plus a number that I can press to alter the boot. They do not stay on screen long enough for me to read them so I dont know whether to press the suggested keys or not. I dont want to press them if I dont know what they will do. I need to pause the boot long enough for me to be able to read the messages. I tried <esc> and that just makes it go faster past the message!!

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

That would be the Motherboard firmware screen. Some motherboards allow you to slow that display screen down. You'll have to access the motherboard settings to look. Some motherboards respond to the keyboard Pause key. This issue has nothing to do with Mint. What make is your PC? Different brands have a different keystroke to get into the settings. It can be Del, F2, F10, etc.

jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

OK, that was a good suggestion. I started just hitting different keys till something worked. There is a key labeled just , "PB" and when I hit it, everything comes to a screeching hault and I can read the messages. I dont know what the keyboard manuf meant by "PB" but I will consider it to be "Pause Boot" as it seems to do that. But the messages didnt have what I was looking for. I was looking for a way to adjust the CMOS. Guess I will just start hitting more keys and hope I dont trash something in the process.

Thanks for the clue.

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

Again what is the brand of your PC? The keystroke can be looked up.

jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

The board is an American Megatrends. Found that out buy holding the Tab key while booting and immediately hitting the PB key before it disappeared. In that message it suggested hitting the DEL key to reset but hat only releases the hold and it goes merrily on as does hitting the F12 key which it also suggested.

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

Turn on and just tap the Del key repeatedly.

jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

Just in case anyone is following this, pressing the Del key AFTER the first message appears on the screen not BEFORE,during boot will put you into the CMOS setting menu

Return to “Newbie Questions”