error while updating "could not download all repository indexes" [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ginahoy
Level 3
Level 3

error while updating "could not download all repository indexes" [SOLVED]

Post by ginahoy »

I found several previous threads on update problems such as this but it appears that each case may have different solutions or recommendations depending on the nature of the error msgs. So here's the feedback I get when refreshing the available updates list via the Update Manager gui (I added line returns for clarity). It worked fine a few weeks ago. I would appreciate some guidance as I have no clue how to proceed.

Code: Select all

The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonathonf/ffmpeg-3/ubuntu xenial Release' does not have a Release file. Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use. See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonathonf/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/ubuntu xenial Release' does not have a Release file.Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use. See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonathonf/ffmpeg-3/ubuntu/dists/xenial/main/source/Sources  403  Forbidden [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]
Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jonathonf/pepperflashplugin-nonfree/ubuntu/dists/xenial/main/source/Sources  403  Forbidden [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]
Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
Last edited by ginahoy on Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce x64 | ASRock Z270 Extreme4 | Core i7 7700K | Cryorig H7 cooler| 32GB DDR4 2400| modded legacy Evercase LE4252 | EVGA 450W B3 | Samsung 850 EVO SSD

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: error while updating "could not download all repository indexes"

Post by gm10 »

If that worked before then that means the PPA owner deleted the PPA.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

ginahoy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ginahoy »

Thanks. Not being familiar with the term, I just read that PPA's are non-standard software and/or updates. I unchecked these two in Update Manager / Software Sources / PPAs tab. The update now proceeds without error.

I don't recall explicitly installing these PPA's. Is there a log file or other way to find out when/how/why these two PPA's were installed on my machine? I'm hesitant to remove without knowing why they're on my machine. If they're needed by a software package, I may need to dive into this to see if there are official alternatives.

Based on a cursory google search, it appears that pepperflash (PPA) is an PPAPI adobe flash installer that was created after Google removed it from Chrome. I never installed Chromium so I have no clue how it ended up on my machine. I use Firefox. A companion NPAPI adapter was available for Firefox but was never installed on my machine so I'm guessing there's no harm in uninstalling the pepperflash PPA.

As an aside, my flash plugin for Firefox is updated through the official repository, so no surprise it's out of date by several months. I recently started having issues with several websites so I need to get the latest version from the Adobe site and I could use a bit of help with that. First, I have to select which type of file to download (APT, YUM, .tar.gz., .rpm), and once downloaded, I'm not sure what to do (this is the Newbie forum, right? :oops:
Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce x64 | ASRock Z270 Extreme4 | Core i7 7700K | Cryorig H7 cooler| 32GB DDR4 2400| modded legacy Evercase LE4252 | EVGA 450W B3 | Samsung 850 EVO SSD

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

ginahoy wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:40 am
I don't recall explicitly installing these PPA's. Is there a log file or other way to find out when/how/why these two PPA's were installed on my machine?
Yet you did add them, nothing in Linux Mint would do that on its own. If you add it via the Software Sources GUI, there is no log. If you did it via the command line, this might show it, depending on how long ago you added it:

Code: Select all

zgrep jonathonf /var/log/auth.log*
Please make a new thread for your unrelated new questions, easier for everyone that way.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

FYI, ginahoy, here's what the sponsor of that PPA says: https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf

ginahoy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ginahoy »

gm10 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:47 am
Yet you did add them, nothing in Linux Mint would do that on its own.
My thoughts were that these PPA's may have been added by another software package that I installed, for example, Plex Media Server. It includes a browser media player that could conceivably require ffmpeg and flash.

@pbear, thanks for link to author's page. That was helpful.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

ginahoy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:42 am
My thoughts were that these PPA's may have been added by another software package that I installed, for example, Plex Media Server. It includes a browser media player that could conceivably require ffmpeg and flash.
It's not cool to insinuate an app did something this creepy (unless it was disclosed) just because you can't bear to admit you forgot.

Maybe these will help refresh your recollection: askubuntu, Ubuntu Handbook. Of course, Mint 18.x is based on Ubuntu 16.04.

ginahoy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ginahoy »

pbear wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:43 am
It's not cool to insinuate an app did something this creepy (unless it was disclosed) just because you can't bear to admit you forgot.
Sorry, I'm sure I have a lot to learn before I might avoid making 'not cool' comments 8)

My thoughts were that if a package (app) requires additional software that's not included in the OS distribution, it would need to include that in its installation package.

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

There are several programs that, if installed from outside Software Manager, will add PPA's.

One example is Google Chrome browser.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

ginahoy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:42 am
gm10 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:47 am
Yet you did add them, nothing in Linux Mint would do that on its own.
I don't know, but with the Jonathon F (the owner of the PPA you had trouble with) complaining about commercial software abusing his PPA, it certainly sounds like a possibility.
JerryF wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:39 am
There are several programs that, if installed from outside Software Manager, will add PPA's.

Chrome doesn't add someone else's personal package archive, Chrome adds its own official repository. I should think that's quite a different thing to do.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

No, Plex doesn't use or reference Jonathon Fernyhough's PPA. Installs with a deb file. Adds no one's PPA except its own. Doesn't install Pepper Flash.

By the way, Fernyhough doesn't complain about anyone abusing his PPA. His objection is to commercial use of open source packages without supporting their development.

ginahoy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ginahoy »

Thanks for replies. I guess it will remain a mystery how these PPA's ended up on my machine. The only time I use the command line prompt is when instructed by others in this forum, as I don't know the commands to do much of anything at the shell level. Wait, that gives me an idea.... ... ... ... ...

Ok, I just searched this forum for the term "flash" + my username, and voila! I found the thread where someone suggested Jonathan's PPA's and provided installation commands to resolve an issue playing vimeo content in Firefox. That was more than 2 years ago, not long after I built this machine. Turns out the problem was with my Firefox flash blocker, which I was able to resolve by removing and reinstalling the flash blocker.

At the time, I should have removed the PPA's. So far I only unchecked the PPA's in the Update Manager so it would complete the refresh. I think I can figure out how to do the uninstall using the forum's search engine.

I appreciate the help!

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

pbear wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:16 pm
By the way, Fernyhough doesn't complain about anyone abusing his PPA. His objection is to commercial use of open source packages without supporting their development.
No, he's very specifically triggered by use of his PPA by commercial entities. It's already explained on the page you linked but very unambiguous on his blog post he linked there: https://ko-fi.com/post/Sustainability-o ... -X8X31A2OV:
Jonathon Fernyhough wrote:You've been using my freely-available resources for years to support your business?

You asked me to do some work which directly supports your business?

You don't have budget to pay for the work and expect me to work for free?

Uh huh.

No thank you.

While I brushed off a number of these types of request, I recently found the "straw that broke the camel's back" and decided to "turn off" a number of popular PPAs.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

ginahoy wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:21 am
At the time, I should have removed the PPA's. So far I only unchecked the PPA's in the Update Manager so it would complete the refresh. I think I can figure out how to do the uninstall using the forum's search engine.
Update Manager > Edit > Software Sources > PPAs > find the jonathonf PPA, select it, click on Remove (for both entries

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

gm10 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:35 am
JerryF wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:39 am

Chrome doesn't add someone else's personal package archive, Chrome adds its own official repository. I should think that's quite a different thing to do.
I realize that. Just letting the OP know that if you install any program from the web, it's possible that a PPA could be added. :wink:
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Franco Nero
Level 1
Level 1

Re: error while updating "could not download all repository indexes" [SOLVED]

Post by Franco Nero »

Thank you gm10,
Update Manager > Edit > Software Sources > PPAs > find the jonathonf PPA, select it, click on Remove (for both entries

Return to “Newbie Questions”