Permissions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Permissions

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Recent convert to Mint, running Mate 19.2. Installed OS in pc, by default provides one superuser account. Just added one regular account. I need to give the regular user complete read-write-execute permissions to the entire home directory of the superuser. Tried to do it via rt. click> Properties> Permissions on an individual file as well as on a directory but seems the system reverts to default when I check the "allow...execute" box (see s/shot) even when I select the "apply" button (which does not always appear).
Screenshot at 2019-12-11 16-04-33.png
Hoping someone here can specify the command to use via Terminal to make this change. Please, as much as possible in non-tech jargon, my thanks!
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Permissions

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Thanks for the quick response! Actually, I need the regular user account. The s/shot I posted is an installation file for printer drivers and when running this file I'm asked to do it as a regular user. However, when logging into the Terminal and using the regular account, permission is denied. My attempts to modify the permissions, as stated, have not been successful.

This pc is in a home environment, two adult residents, two users. There is no need for the security measures re files. We are coming from Win7 where we both used a single account with full privileges (an admin account), with no downsides. We would like to keep that arrangement as closely as possible in Mint, but it seems we will need that regular account, for now as well as in the future.
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:03 am
My attempts to modify the permissions, as stated, have not been successful.
Can you give us more info as to what attempts you've made and also when did the problem with permissions start?
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:05 am
I need to give the regular user complete read-write-execute permissions to the entire home directory of the superuser.
That would be /root - is that what you mean? It's probably a bad idea, why do you want to do that?

There's some confusing terminology to watch for; the default Mint user can run root-commands with 'sudo' (etc) (='admin user', I think...), but superuser is a user called 'root':

Code: Select all

# whoami
root
# echo $HOME
/root
Hoping someone here can specify the command to use via Terminal to make this [executable]change. Please, as much as possible in non-tech jargon, my thanks!

chmod +x hplip.xxxx.run
or, if root owns the file

sudo chmod +x hplip.xxxx.run
replace xxx with the numbers, or course.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
The s/shot I posted is an installation file for printer drivers and when running this file I'm asked to do it as a regular user.
That sounds wrong - where'd you get those instructions ?

The preferred method for installing hplip software is through the 'software manager' or synaptic - have you tried that first?

Those .run files often cause problems.
There is no need for the security measures re files. We are coming from Win7 where we both used a single account with full privileges (an admin account), with no downsides.
Why not do that with Mint?
We would like to keep that arrangement as closely as possible in Mint, but it seems we will need that regular account, for now as well as in the future.
Why does it seem that way?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

gittiest personITW wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:48 am
Slowpoke47 wrote:
My attempts to modify the permissions, as stated, have not been successful.
Can you give us more info as to what attempts you've made and also when did the problem with permissions start?
I have right-clicked file entries, folders, and directories in the superuser home directory and selected Properties> Permissions to get a pop-up posted above, or similar (the directory pop-up has an apply... button). Made the needed changes including allowing the execute option, selected apply when available, but the changes revert to default. Maybe a restart is needed?

Of course, the Terminal is a new and challenging aspect of Linux- I have a couple of guidebooks (one is 470 pages) and I've searched online, but as yet, no answer to my question of what exact command(s) to enter to get this done.
Larry78723
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Larry78723 »

I have right-clicked file entries, folders, and directories in the superuser home directory and selected Properties> Permissions to get a pop-up posted above, or similar (the directory pop-up has an apply... button).
Your terminology is confusing. Are you logging in as "root" or are you logging in as the first user account? "Superuser home directory" in my mind indicates the root user.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

The "suggestion" to use a regular account was generated by the installation program when running it via Terminal. I've made the attempt several times, and if I opt to continue as admin, there are various warnings against that during the install, finally resulting in an error message that a needed plugin cannot be installed except by a regular user. Seems odd to me, too, but by now, familiar.
Plugin error.png
The only reason to open a regular account would be to deal with situations like this.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Larry78723 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:23 pm
I have right-clicked file entries, folders, and directories in the superuser home directory and selected Properties> Permissions to get a pop-up posted above, or similar (the directory pop-up has an apply... button).
Your terminology is confusing. Are you logging in as "root" or are you logging in as the first user account? "Superuser home directory" in my mind indicates the root user.
When I started this effort, months ago now, there was only the one default account that came with the OS install.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
I need to give the regular user complete read-write-execute permissions to the entire home directory of the superuser.
I've never done multi-user, but I'm pretty sure the concept you're looking for is Groups. Note that permissions have three layers: owner, group and everyone else. My understanding is that the middle one does what you're trying to do. You're talking about the "superuser's" regular /home, right?

By the way, do you actually want to share all of /home or is this about data files? If the latter, a data partition might make this easier.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

pbear wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:27 pm
Slowpoke47 wrote:
I've never done multi-user, but I'm pretty sure the concept you're looking for is Groups. Note that permissions have three layers: owner, group and everyone else. My understanding is that the middle one does what you're trying to do. You're talking about the "superuser's" regular /home, right?

By the way, do you actually want to share all of /home or is this about data files? If the latter, a data partition might make this easier.
What I'm looking for is a functional OS that is as newbie-friendly as possible and handles the work we need to do, not games or other entertainment. Although well familiar with our Win7 OS, and with zero interest in Win10, we are facing a substantial learning curve here, both in terminology and processes. For us, the computer is a means to an end, these days more or less indispensable, not in itself an abiding interest. I appreciate the help received here and I'm trying hard to learn the ropes, quite a chore!
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Sorry to have wasted your time. I hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

pbear wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:38 pm
Sorry to have wasted your time. I hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck.
Sorry if I offended you. Just doing my best to navigate a new world.

I can see there is a lot to like in Mint, but getting started has had some challenges.
Last edited by Slowpoke47 on Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Any new OS will involve a learning curve.

If you stick with it, you'll most likely get what you need but, yes, you'll have to do some work and you'll become more independent along the way.
I'm a newbie when it comes to Mint also and it was a steep learning curve - just to get a drive to be readable/writeable or install a .run program involved a few posts to the forum. Nothing seemed straightforward.
The thing is that once you have configured your system to do the things you want it to do, it should in theory, be very stable, secure, free (but should donate to the cause), private and 'yours'.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:23 pm
Any new OS will involve a learning curve.

If you stick with it, you'll most likely get what you need but, yes, you'll have to do some work and you'll become more independent along the way.
I'm a newbie when it comes to Mint also and it was a steep learning curve - just to get a drive to be readable/writeable or install a .run program involved a few posts to the forum. Nothing seemed straightforward.
The thing is that once you have configured your system to do the things you want it to do, it should in theory, be very stable, secure, free (but should donate to the cause), private and 'yours'.
Thanks for the encouragement. We have already donated, as we don't go along with receiving value for nothing, and this forum has been helpful during the "initiation."
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

My initiation is ongoing.

How far have you got so far?
It does seem that things should be the other way round with permissions.... The opposite of what is below.
Recent convert to Mint, running Mate 19.2. Installed OS in pc, by default provides one superuser account. Just added one regular account. I need to give the regular user complete read-write-execute permissions to the entire home directory of the superuser.
Follow the instructions you've had so far and post back with the results and I'm sure you'll get some help.
It could be as simple as a simple command but we need to know more about your users/groups/permissions on the computer or you'll get wrong advice.

Also, have you got Timeshift installed?
If not, now would be a good time to set it up.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:34 pm
My initiation is ongoing.

How far have you got so far?
It does seem that things should be the other way round with permissions.... The opposite of what is below.

Follow the instructions you've had so far and post back with the results and I'm sure you'll get some help.
It could be as simple as a simple command but we need to know more about your users/groups/permissions on the computer or you'll get wrong advice.

Also, have you got Timeshift installed?
If not, now would be a good time to set it up.
The only reason to open a regular account at this point is that the installation of the hplip drivers and plugin demand a non-admin account- see the last few lines of the Terminal s/shot above. The problem, also mentioned above, is that I can't get execute permission enabled for said account. Once I (hopefully) get this install done, I may never need that account again, but... you never know. My efforts to do that via gui are spelled out above. I assume it will be via command line.

For backups we are using Veeam, as I've been advised that Timeshift is or is not a true backup utility. The pc dual boots Mint and Win7 on separate HDD's- in that environment, Mint mounts the Win7 OS by default, and the Veeam full backups are bare-metal, and include both disks.
jjp2145-oldtimer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jjp2145-oldtimer »

Judging by the screen shot, you are trying to create a new account that is not in the sudo group to install a printer, is this correct?

If so, there is an HPlip and HPlip-gui listed in the software manager. I would suggest installing these two from the software manager and trying to work through what ever the printer problem is with the gui rather then setting up another account that is not in the sudo group.

If I am incorrect, I really don't know, but I suspect that the problem is that you are not asking the right question.
If you need sudo to edit it, back it up first. If I tell you to edit something with sudo and forgot to tell you to back it up, back it up anyway. sudo cp backup or cat > backup.txt.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

jjp2145-oldtimer wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:11 pm
Judging by the screen shot, you are trying to create a new account that is not in the sudo group to install a printer, is this correct?

If so, there is an HPlip and HPlip-gui listed in the software manager. I would suggest installing these two from the software manager and trying to work through what ever the printer problem is with the gui rather then setting up another account that is not in the sudo group.

If I am incorrect, I really don't know, but I suspect that the problem is that you are not asking the right question.
Well... the problem actually goes a little deeper. The version in pkg mgr is several years out of date, so old that the companion plugin, which enables the scan function, is no longer available. This issue has gone on for months, and there is a long and unresolved thread on this forum about it. I need to install a driver package with a matching plugin. What I've realized is that hardware makers like HP have little incentive to support Linux users, who comprise a tiny sliver of the home market and basically none of the business market- the source of most of their sales.

Return to “Newbie Questions”